diy solar

diy solar

Solar panels in parallel or in series for Bluetti AC200P?

Kevin1Az

I have 3 Seraphim 370W panels.
Specifications:
  • Rated Power: 370W
  • Open circuit voltage (VOC): 47.8 V
  • Max power voltage (VMP): 38.9 V
  • Short circuit current (ISC): 9.88 A
  • Max power current: 9.52
  • Maximum system voltage: 1500V UL
  • Fuse Rating: 20 A

• I want to use the above panels to charge a Bluetti AC200P.
  • Flexible 5-way charging​

AC/Solar/Car/Generator/Lead Acid Batterry
    AC Adapter (Included): 400W
    Car Charger (Included): 12V/ 24V
    Solar Panel (Not Included): 35-150v/Max.700W,Max12A
    Generator:Gasoline, Propane Or Diesel
    Lead Acid Battery(Max 8.2A)
  • I am in the high desert of Arizona with plenty of sun and no shade.

• Thank you.

Welcome to the forum (fellow Arizonan). Our place is ENE of Show Low.

Use only two of the panels wired in series. The voltage on 3 panels would be too high for your location/winter temps.

We love Show Low! Been there several times.
We are in Prescott.
I’m new to the solar thing. Been reading quite a bit, and have a lot to learn yet.
I ordered those panels from SanTan Solar, and drove to Gilbert and picked them up the other day.
Should I have gotten one more and done the 2S2P set up?
I can run down there and get more. They are very inexpensive.

Only been to Prescott a few times. Once was from the South via Yarnell Hill on a crotch rocket. That road was a blast.

The unit is limited to 700W. The two 370W panels have the potential to go to 740W. Adding more panels will only add cost with little benefit without additional measures.

You're under on the voltage limit. Under on the current limit and over on the power limit, so you have a good potential to harvest the 700W max solar in optimal conditions.

You could add 1 more panel for 2S2P, but you're over the 12A PV input limit meaning much may be wasted; HOWEVER, being so over-paneled will ensure that you get near max power for longer periods.

You could have one of the 2S groups favoring SE and the other 2S group favoring SW and get more even power over the whole day producing at or near 700W for more of the day.

Yes... Yarnell is a kick a** motorcycle ride.
Thank you so much for the info.
I’m preparing for the apocalypse, and solar power is part of my plan, so I appreciate your help.
Take care

Hi All, I also have the Bluetti AC200P and I'd like to ask, if I got 8 of these panels is there a way to wire it where it would work to hit the 700w input? I've emailed Bluetti customer service, they ONLY suggest wiring in Series, and say I cannot use 8 panels with it (as it would overload and shut down?) So is there a way doing a combination of Series and Parallel that it would work??

I have 2 of these already but was hoping to standardize and get enough panels in the system to get as close as I could to the 700w input..

• Maximum Power: 100W
  • Maximum System Voltage: 600V DC (UL)
  • Optimum Operating Voltage (Vmp): 18.6V
  • Open-Circuit Voltage (Voc): 22.3V
  • Optimum Operating Current (Imp): 5.38A
  • Short-Circuit Current (Isc): 5.86A
  • Operating Temperature:-40°F to 176°F

Welcome to the forum.

Bluetti customer service is being silly.

PV input spec is 150Voc max, 12A max.

Your panels are 22.3V and 5.86A, so if you got 800W of them, and arranged them in a 4S2P array, you'd be be under BOTH of the PV input parameters and should be just fine. The MPPT will ignore any excess power.

Hi All, I also have the Bluetti AC200P and I'd like to ask, if I got 8 of these panels is there a way to wire it where it would work to hit the 700w input? I've emailed Bluetti customer service, they ONLY suggest wiring in Series, and say I cannot use 8 panels with it (as it would overload and shut down?) So is there a way doing a combination of Series and Parallel that it would work??

I have 2 of these already but was hoping to standardize and get enough panels in the system to get as close as I could to the 700w input..

• Maximum Power: 100W
  • Maximum System Voltage: 600V DC (UL)
  • Optimum Operating Voltage (Vmp): 18.6V
  • Open-Circuit Voltage (Voc): 22.3V
  • Optimum Operating Current (Imp): 5.38A
  • Short-Circuit Current (Isc): 5.86A
  • Operating Temperature:-40°F to 176°F
Like snoobler said, having 4 in series, and 2 parallel strings would be pretty much ideal for charging that. Bluetti tech support must not read their own specs.

Welcome to the forum.

Bluetti customer service is being silly.

PV input spec is 150Voc max, 12A max.

Your panels are 22.3V and 5.86A, so if you got 800W of them, and arranged them in a 4S2P array, you'd be be under BOTH of the PV input parameters and should be just fine. The MPPT will ignore any excess power.
So does that mean 8 panels, 4 each in Series, then the two sets Paralleled together? (Sorry, I'm relatively new to this..)

Question on wattage. I am thinking of getting 3 of the 250 watt santan solar panels. Three in series would be 750 watts which is over the 700 watt limit. With the potential probably never being fully realized would this cause an issue if they ever did go above 700 watt or is wattage like amps and it only uses what it needs?

Question on wattage. I am thinking of getting 3 of the 250 watt santan solar panels. Three in series would be 750 watts which is over the 700 watt limit. With the potential probably never being fully realized would this cause an issue if they ever did go above 700 watt or is wattage like amps and it only uses what it needs?
Yes.
People are using over 1000 watts of panels on the Bluetti AC200!
Why do so many noobs ask this question?

Yeah, 701 watts will blow up your AC200.
Kabooom!

So does that mean 8 panels, 4 each in Series, then the two sets Paralleled together? (Sorry, I'm relatively new to this..)
Hi ladycompugeek,
I wanted to see if the 8 panels 4s2p producing 800 watts worked for you. I want to something similar and saw that someone posted on your topic that 701watts would blow the ac200 up. I thought it would just ignore the extra power?. Can you confirm?

I set up my AC200P with renogy 8-100w panels over the weekend to test various configurations. The 4s2p worked best. Theoretically, this configuration should be about 90volt 12amp maximum, under the bluetti limit. It wasn’t the best weather to test, hazy and intermittent clouds. 8 panels in series does not work, it immediately tripped an over-volt fault, even with cloudy weather.
Eventually, I got full sun, but was only able to max the 4s2p at 450w. The Ac200p was registering about 65volt and about 6 amps maximum. Going to try different orientation and better weather later.

I don’t understand what people refer to as “overpaneling” I would have thought that 8, 100watt panels in series would work, especially on a cloudy day, but I guess the 150volt maximum for this unit is pretty much a hard limit. Perhaps it is more tolerant of current over stated limited of 15A??

I set up my AC200P with renogy 8-100w panels over the weekend to test various configurations. The 4s2p worked best. Theoretically, this configuration should be about 90volt 12amp maximum, under the bluetti limit. It wasn’t the best weather to test, hazy and intermittent clouds. 8 panels in series does not work, it immediately tripped an over-volt fault, even with cloudy weather.
Eventually, I got full sun, but was only able to max the 4s2p at 450w. The Ac200p was registering about 65volt and about 6 amps maximum. Going to try different orientation and better weather later.

I don’t understand what people refer to as “overpaneling” I would have thought that 8, 100watt panels in series would work, especially on a cloudy day, but I guess the 150volt maximum for this unit is pretty much a hard limit. Perhaps it is more tolerant of current over stated limited of 15A??
I believe that the 150v max and 12 amps are the hard limits. I think that should allow 1800 watts to be used by the Bluetti, but only 700 watts are using for recharging the batteries, everything is is passed through (least that is what I saw on another article/website).

I was reading this thread and was also wondering , I have 8 200w Renogy panels but each panel is 8amp , so if I wire 4s2p I’ll be over the 12amp limit ? Will it fry it?

I emailed Bluetti and they said the 12 amp limit was a hard limit. No idea if there will be damage from going over it.

Would think they would have a breaker built in for it.

As long as you do not exceed the Voc limit, it is fine. You can have all the current and the MPPT will just ignore it. Over powering it (while staying under Voc limit) will allow it to generate max power for more of the day. Think of it this way, a typical household plug can supply 15A at 120V for 1800W. If you plug in your 5W iPhone charger; it won’t blow it up because it is speced for 120V and just pulls as much current/power as it needs to. Same thing with almost all solar charger inputs (unless they explicitly tell you not to).

Note that Voc is listed at some reference temp, and increase when temp decrease, so during winter it is possible for Voc to be higher than spec. Check temp coefficient and make sure you have margin in your area.

Back