diy solar

diy solar

Solar panels mounted with magnetic sheets.

Braingears

I have a 50W Panel that mounts to the hood of my truck. I used a 60mil magnetic sheet with adhesive on the entire back of the solar panel. Over time the adhesive would let go, and allow the solar panel and magnetic sheet to delaminate. I must confess the black solar panel gets pretty hot in direct sunlight...
Has anyone else used magnetic sheet to mount the solar panels you're vehicle?
Does anyone have recommendations for either adhesive or magnetic sheet with adhesive that could be used?

Very strong rare earth magnets with countersunk holes may be an option too.

If you plan to have the panel mounted while the truck moves... use screws.
You wouldn't want to decapitate a young family with kids, would you? :·/
But even stationary... a strong gust of wind... old lady next door gets it on the head...
-

I have a small panel that I attach to the side of my RV trailer using magnets. It hasn't gone anywhere and it's challenging to remove, but I don't leave it there while traveling. It does scratch the paint. I would not use magnets on paint that I liked.

The 60mil sheet magnet worked GREAT. I just need better sticky stuff adhesive between it and the panel.

3M VHB tape is probably what you want. There are quite a few variations of it. The 3M website has a page that is supposed to help you find the best variation for you project.

Back