diy solar

diy solar

solar panels on Lark aluminum shed

flkayak

Greetings all,
I have a 12x20 lark shed I'd like to set up with solar power. I've not seen any scenarios with panels on this type of roof. Is it too weak having 2x4 trusses? I'm wanting to avoid a ground array due to shadow from shed and the two story house. Was wanting to avoid mounting to adjacent back porch roof due to concerns of leaks in back patio. Any insight greatly appreciated, this is brand new to me.

Any chance you can get load numbers from the manufacturer of the shed. Like it can handle X pounds of snow? The challenge if you do get that number - and you do have snow - is that the snow plus the weight of the panels/mounting together can't exceed the rating.

I have similar situations with a 16x10 Smithbilt shed with horizontal aluminum seamed roof(and walls).

Did you get any responses or advice on how to mount? I was planning to get the roof loading info from the manufacturers and go forward from that.

Hoping to put 6 panels in total to power workshop inside.

I have similar situations with a 16x10 Smithbilt shed with horizontal aluminum seamed roof(and walls).

Did you get any responses or advice on how to mount? I was planning to get the roof loading info from the manufacturers and go forward from that.

Hoping to put 6 panels in total to power workshop inside.
Give Smithbuilt a call, I just called Lark to discuss the situation. In my case plan on 3- 25 lb panels. I'm limited on 60 volts in for my Delta2 power station so looking at 3 200 watt panels to get 500 watts input. Larke said it should be fine, just ensure the weight is spread out over the roof trusses. Now that I know the load is good, I need to determine best method of attachment, The roof panels have ridges near the trusses so I'd have to raise the panels above the ridges to avoid crushing the ridges. 3/4 in schedule 40 PVC pipe fits the spot over the trusss perfectly and raises the frame above ridges. Now I just wait for a good sale on what I want. The 100 watt panel I have for experiments does a very slow charge of the Delta 2, will see how the 220 watt bifacial solar panel I ordered for camping works tomorrow.

you should have about 4inches or more clearance between the roof and the panels. look at ironridge mounts. might give you an idea if you DIY ( or buy).

you should have about 4inches or more clearance between the roof and the panels. look at ironridge mounts. might give you an idea if you DIY ( or buy).
So I should have at least 4 inches between roof and panel for airflow? It is an aluminum roof, so gets hot in the Florida sun. Thanks for the input. I'm thinking a PVC pipe skid mount type that is quick release for storms. Secured to the shed anchors with cables or ratchet straps for use, then when hurricane on the way remove from roof of shed so the wind does not get under panels and rip panels and roof off shed.

I would go with 8 inches of air clearance under the panels. Especially in hot climates.
I have the same here in southern Spain, 20cm airgap recommended for cooling the panels.

Back