diy solar

diy solar

Solar Panels UPGRADE (NEED your INPUT/ADVICE)

Maco

Hello Guys:
I have had a solar install for the last 15 years which I did myself and have upgraded to newer panels. The OLD panels were Kyoceras KM130 which were wired is series to raise the voltage to 24V. I had 5 sets of panels for a 650 Watt install. When I did this everything was outrageously high so I never was able to maximize the equipment I had.

Anyway I have upgraded my batteries from Lead Acid to LiFePO4 & also replaced the solar panels with 4 Canadian Solar 24V 340 Watts for an output of 1360 Watts.

I still have the OLD panels and would like to entertain the idea of adding them to the existing install even thou it would be a mismatch. I am thinking of adding them as 2 sets, 1 would be 6 panels wired in series & parallel so as to keep the 24V but with higher wattage output at +/- 300 Watts & the 2 would be 4 panels at +/- 200 Watts.

My question to you all is would this be OK to do? Will it have a detrimental effect on the existing setup?

Any HELP/INSIGHT would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!!!

If you are to connect them in parallel with your newer Canadian Solar panels and the voltage is the same then it should work and would give you more current and power overall, as long as your charge controller can accept the additional current. However, you will need to check the voltage they actually operate at under the installed condition and make sure they are very close, as panels in parallel will output the lowest voltage of the set. Also be sure to size the wires for the increased current.

Back