diy solar

diy solar

Solar Panels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ols

Plans are to purchase some solar panels but I am limited to space two to three panels, 300w 24v. My question is with all negative comments on solar companies, who would be a reputable and trusted company to buy from? Any help would be appreciated.

If you're just after two panels, the best deal you can get will probably be local. Many bigger panels for sale on craigslist in my area.

That may end up being much cheaper than two panels shipped and you'll get to test and inspect the panels prior to pick-up.

If you're just after two panels, the best deal you can get will probably be local. Many bigger panels for sale on craigslist in my area.

That may end up being much cheaper than two panels shipped and you'll get to test and inspect the panels prior to pick-up.
Chrisski, I take it these panels would be used? Sorry new to this solar thing

Could be either new or used.

The new ones I've seen locally are many different reasons. Some buy them with the intent to finish a project and never do and post them for sale. Others are left over from a large install that bought too many.

Either way, you can message the person to get a picture of the label off the back of the panel.

If you do go this route, just be sure you just really need two of them. My first purchase was this way where I bought one locally, but when I finished designing my system, I needed four of those panels, so it was a bit of a hunt to find three more exactly like it at a good price.

Also, with the panels you mention, leave a bit of space for mounts. I needed a fist worth of space between panels for my install. That matters if you are really pressed for space and have measured to the inch.

Reactions: Ols
Following this thread with some interest. I recently purchased two 195w panels. Both were shipped out of California and arrived within three days of placing the order. Both were poorly packed -- the only protection was the shipping box itself, which was rather flimsy. One panel arrived fine and actually tests a little above spec. The other panel was smashed to smithereens. And NOW the frustration begins -- I called the company this morning and was referred to their "escalation" department and told they would email me back in 24-48 hours. YUP -- despite shipping out of California and selling panels that are stamped "made in Canada" -- their main operation is in China. If I had known China was involved I would have bought my panels elsewhere. Criminy!

Reactions: Ols
Following this thread with some interest. I recently purchased two 195w panels. Both were shipped out of California and arrived within three days of placing the order. Both were poorly packed -- the only protection was the shipping box itself, which was rather flimsy. One panel arrived fine and actually tests a little above spec. The other panel was smashed to smithereens. And NOW the frustration begins -- I called the company this morning and was referred to their "escalation" department and told they would email me back in 24-48 hours. YUP -- despite shipping out of California and selling panels that are stamped "made in Canada" -- their main operation is in China. If I had known China was involved I would have bought my panels elsewhere. Criminy!
AZRoadrunner, what name brand of panels are they? I am thinking of Renogy out California ???

AZRoadrunner, what name brand of panels are they? I am thinking of Renogy out California ???
You shipped panels to Arizona? Some of the best deals on panels are right in Arizona!
Some of the worst deals are buying a bunch of 100w panels and having them shipped (but for some unknown reason, people see "12v panels", realize that they have 12v batteries (unrelated) and cannot help themselves).

Seriously, check craigslist in your area. Or San Tan Solar in Gilbert.

Ols, the panels are sold by a company called "Eco-Worthy". Interestingly, the panels are actually made in Canada (at least, that's what the label indicates). Attaching a photo of the specs.

It's not quite mid-day here in the Tucson area and with the one panel that arrived without damage, I'm getting Voc of 23.4 volts, and Isc of 10 volts. Will run another test at solar noon (around 12:30pm today -- about a hour and a half from now) to see if the Isc gets closer to the rated 11.89A.

Aside from the horrible packing job and the rather abysmal customer service being in China, the panel appears to possibly be a good value at $168 shipped for a 195 watt panel.

Attachments

• IMG_4729.jpeg
    IMG_4729.jpeg
    108.9 KB · Views: 9
You shipped panels to Arizona? Some of the best deals on panels are right in Arizona!
Some of the worst deals are buying a bunch of 100w panels and having them shipped (but for some unknown reason, people see "12v panels", realize that they have 12v batteries (unrelated) and cannot help themselves).

Seriously, check craigslist in your area. Or San Tan Solar in Gilbert.

Not even close.

I hear you. Unfortunately, that listing wasn't posted when I placed my solar panel order. I'll keep an eye out in the future.

Ols, the panels are sold by a company called "Eco-Worthy". Interestingly, the panels are actually made in Canada (at least, that's what the label indicates). Attaching a photo of the specs.

It's not quite mid-day here in the Tucson area and with the one panel that arrived without damage, I'm getting Voc of 23.4 volts, and Isc of 10 volts. Will run another test at solar noon (around 12:30pm today -- about a hour and a half from now) to see if the Isc gets closer to the rated 11.89A.

Aside from the horrible packing job and the rather abysmal customer service being in China, the panel appears to possibly be a good value at $168 shipped for a 195 watt panel.

Ouch! You can get used Trina 250w panels from Santan (in AZ) for $50 if you go pick them up...

Ouch! You can get used Trina 250w panels from Santan (in AZ) for $50 if you go pick them up...
Thanks very much for the tip about Santan. I woulda-shoulda-coulda if I had known, but now that I do it's useful going forward. Fortunately I'm not going off-grid, just building a small system with a few panels to keep some Lifepo4 battery banks charged in the event of emergencies. I'm pissed off at Eco-Worthy and particularly annoyed that they can't ship products properly. However, I'm stuck dealing with them for the moment.

@AZRoadrunner : I've dealt with Eco-Worthy, ordered twice and cancelled twice due to bait and switch tactics. Their website said in stock, the payment processed, and I got a message saying that they did not have that, but if I authorized them $XX they could ship it right away from theuir China warehouse, or it would take several weeks to come in.

I ended up going with Renogy panels, and Lion Energy panels, both for shipment I wish had been packed better, the Renogy more than the Lion's, but all five orders and 12 panels came with no problems. Of the 12 panels, four were 100 watters, and two were 175 watters.

What @iamrich and @MisterSandals mentioned is very good advice. Instead of using the 12 panels I bought, I could have drove 45 minutes to pick better panels up from SanTan for much cheaper, but I am very happy with the system I have now.

I woulda-shoulda-coulda if I had known,

Also, since RV season in the hot part of AZ is in the winter, I got my system operational at the beginning of the tolerable camping season, and have taken several trips since it started and don't regret not waiting around to make sure I go the perfect part and deal for what I have. Had I done that, those memories would not have happened.

@AZRoadrunner : I've dealt with Eco-Worthy, ordered twice and cancelled twice due to bait and switch tactics. Their website said in stock, the payment processed, and I got a message saying that they did not have that, but if I authorized them $XX they could ship it right away from theuir China warehouse, or it would take several weeks to come in.
If they jerk me around like that I'll demand a refund instead of replacement on the broken panel, take my lumps on the other one (or just sell it on Craigslist for half what I paid for it), and then set up a day trip to Santan. Enough, already.

I think if you make a case to return one, you have a case to return them both because they are a matched pair.
Agreed. I'll definitely make that case -- but now that I know I'm dealing directly with China, I don't expect anything but the runaround. The first thing is to see what they do about the shattered panel (the glass is in a million pieces in the box). If they respond quickly and ship a replacement (out of CALIFORNIA, NOT CHINA) that's all they're really obligated to do and the fact that I ordered from them is not their fault. If I get fed a bunch of BS, however, then my claws come out. Either way, I think I'm going to go to Santan. Whatever's left of the Eco-Worthy panels can be sold at 50 cents on the dollar and I'll take my lumps.

Either way, I think I'm going to go to Santan.
Just make sure the panels fit your application legality wise. Sounds like you are off grid hobby, so it doesn't matter, but the dirt cheap panels have the labels stripped so they are not UL so you can't tie them into the grid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back