diy solar

diy solar

Solar Pirate-hello

onokai

Solar Enthusiast
In 2020 we decided to build our own system -My neighbor had done his system himself as well so I got some info and ideas from him-he did not get a permit and pirated it in with zero grid power return to grid (uses the Sol -Arc limiters)
I took a solar class about 12 years ago at local collage night classes-back then panels cost about $1,200 each
Found a source for lower cost panels left over from large solar jobs in desert (they also sold used panels as well) I ordered 24 400 watt new jinkos and had them trucked to a local lumber yard as I know the owner. (total cost was under 5k panels where $190 Each) I watched some you tube ground mount arrays being build and modified that idea to my own. I put in cement piers embedded with simson strong tie 4x8 and 4x4 pier galvanized attachments -Built the understructure from PT wood and spanned it with super struts ordered from Zero (20 footers) cut them down to my size spans. The array is 13.5 x 40 feet. Dug a few trenches as I was rewdoing some infrastructure with a trencher. I ordered most parts from the net to attach everything (panels are boldted from below). I ordred a Cadillac 12kw Sol-arc inverter ( i like the adaptability for future changes on most components . I have an out building about 100 ffet from array with a 100 amp subpanel so I mounted Sol-Arc in their and back feed my 200 amp panel via that outbuilding thru that 100 amp panel . ( I have a 12kw natural gas generator past 10 years as well and its over near the 200 amp house power panel with its own auto transfer switch . (I'm a potter so I have some large draw electric kilns to add to this mix). I dug the holes fro cement in may 2020 and commisioned the system in early November 2020 alsong with that Sol- arc I also bought a 7.5kw lithium battery all from AltE store. They have a Nor Cal warehouse about 3 hours from me.. so long story short that battery had some issues and buy aerly spring they took it back and replaced it with a new version and I added another at that time (shipping was free due to replacement warrenty on other battery) so now for past year we have 15kw backup storage in the system with these Kilowatt batteries . I to am a solar pirate now myself and am grid tied but do not send any power back into the system. I need some grid power for kilns now and then. So far been really happy with system-just added 24 Tigo TS4-A-O optimizers for deep winter shade issues last week-they are installed and working but I have not yet commisioned the CCA unit and gone to web monitoring .I really do not need the fire control off feature so I'm a bit hestatent to commission them via the tab and CCA.
well thats my solar electric story -I also have had a solar preheat water system working since 1983-84 on roof.
Just a few side notes the sol-arc has a feature where the extra non used power but produced power (smart load) can be tapped for use. I put that power into a 3500 watt solar preheat 80 gallon water heater that feeds our natural gas 40 gallon water heater . This 80 gallon tank is water the solar water panels feed the hot water from the roof into and now the past year that extra amps goes into that tank as well.
Thats my solar story. I'll try to get some photos up soon of ground arrey and mounts.
You may ask as we did all the work ourselves we have into the system about 25-27K into the parts. I have used the federal tax credits as I need them for taxes past two years. We get no state breaks as I'm a pirate with stsyem on the sly
solar pirate

Last edited:
Back