diy solar

diy solar

Solar pool pump

Superwhizy

Not technically a solar "build" per se, and not yet in showroom presentation state like the others featured here, but it's functional and alive (when the Sun's out). This transplant replaced a 1.5 hp pump mated to a 900-sf cartridge filter that circulates a 15,000-gal pool in Florida. If you're not already neck-deep into the Solar movement, I hope this inspires you to dip your toes in the solar water, so to speak.

Attachments

• IMG_20220405_130040785.jpg
    IMG_20220405_130040785.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20220405_130142734.jpg
    IMG_20220405_130142734.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20220405_130644907.jpg
    IMG_20220405_130644907.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Solar pump.jpg
    Solar pump.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 46
Are you running a variable speed pump on DC?
Deets please
Howdy. I don't exactly know how the MPPT controller manages the power nor drive the permanent magnet motor (it arrived as a package). I bought it to eliminate a giant energy sink from my monthly utility bill, and to not have to relive the trauma of learning about electromagnetism. The entire set-up comprise of four 290 watt panels (3S1P), tied into a combiner box as a DC-cutoff, then routed in DC to the controller where it is tethered to the pump motor with three conductors (U,V,W). The motor is definitely variable speed because its rpm fluctuates with the amount of sunlight. Other than that, I attribute everything else to magic as to how and why it works.

FYI: Attached is a scanned copy of the manual that came with my set-up; the page order is messed up because I removed the binding in order to run it through the scanner. I hope this helps you.

Attachments

• Solar pump manual.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 40
Not technically a solar "build" per se, and not yet in showroom presentation state like the others featured here, but it's functional and alive (when the Sun's out). This transplant replaced a 1.5 hp pump mated to a 900-sf cartridge filter that circulates a 15,000-gal pool in Florida. If you're not already neck-deep into the Solar movement, I hope this inspires you to dip your toes in the solar water, so to speak.
Thanks for the inspiration. Can you link me to the pump you bought? Did that controller come with it? I'm getting ready to switch my pump to solar and I wasn't aware of a component between the panels and the pump.

Hiya, Nate. My purchase from Amazon came with the solar controller and the pump https://www.amazon.com/Happybuy-swimming-Controller-Swimming-Brushless/dp/B08ZS7Q55R. I have a video documentary on my humble youtube channel here:
. Full disclosure: there is an Amazon affiliate link in the description of my video that may cause me to earn from qualified purchases. I scrubbed my referral id from the link here so as not to violate any forum rules.

Be safe tinkering with your solar set-up and be sure not to exceed the open voltage limit of the solar controller when wiring the panels. My set-up is rather ghetto compared against the electrical engineers in this forum, but it does what it needs to, and that's good enough for us Civil clan. Stay best!

So how has this been working for you a month later? Considering the same unit. Does it produce enough suction to run a pool cleaner?
TIA

Back