diy solar

diy solar

Solar power is not just for rich people.

Solar power is not just for rich people.

Not being able to take advantage of any credits or rebates, from a laundry list of reasons, means poor customers pay all of an inflated price.
Fifteen years ago there was a 25% tax credit on Energy Star appliances. I was interested in a $1100 fridge. When the tax deduction expired that fridge cost less than $600.

Last edited:
I started DIYing my solar 30 YEARS AGO

It taken A LOT of time, looking for deals and/or freebies, etc. But I know my system and replaced every device over time with newer items, but the wire is still the same. Things are cheaper now, better features and are nice

Keep at it

I think solar power is mostly installed by poor people and they pay the penalty for being poor. Hear me out.

You want to do an 8kw system. You don't have $20k to pay for it- so you can't serve as gc and hire an electrician and an installer. So you go to a company that offers loans. They sell you the $20k system for $45k and charge you a 20% financing fee on top of that, and you have to pay interest. So a 20k system ends up costing $almost 70k all said and done. Because one was too poor to pay cash
If someone agreed to those terms they were getting screwed before they started.

Can we get a standard metric for what’s considered cheap and what is expensive.

DIY cost:
$1-5000 poor
$5000-15000 middle class
$20000+ rich

How far off am I?

DIY cost:
$1-5000 poor
$5000-15000 middle class
$20000+ rich

How far off am I?
I am a rookie and still researching so I don't waste too much but on your scale I am doing fine considering the poor class. :)

DIY cost:
$1-5000 poor
$5000-15000 middle class
$20000+ rich

How far off am I?
Rich is more like $60k and up.

Actually no used panels are not cheap especially if you have to ship it. I've never seen any used panels near by that was worth it. I got panels from SS shipped to me cheaper than what it costs from some place like santan solar. If you consider the tax credit and 100 dollar shipping it was half cheaper than used panels at the time. You also can't get tax credits for used panels.
In my case $25aud/panel works out to be pretty good value.

Who really cares what others can and cannot afford, I sure don't. If you want more then go out and do what it takes to get it. In todays society just because someone has a 50k system does mean the have money, it just means they have more ink in their pen. I admire someone that has a small system that's paid for.

We have what we have because we started at 17/18 yrs old and worked to become debt free by 38. We built our home and will stay in it for life or as long as we’re able. We only buy a new base model vehicle when we have cash saved and the old one is 15-20 years old. We rarely dine out. Credit card paid off monthly. No storage rentals full of stuff. We can park two vehicles in the garage because it’s not full of stuff. We’ve done it all on less than the US median family of four income. Are we rich? It’s all relative. We love where we are and what we’ve accomplished and do not look down on anyone for spending less on solar, home, automobiles, etc. Do what’s right for you and your family and enjoy life.

Last edited:
Man, y'all can afford bailing wire? ...
My Grandpa left me, his favorite nephew*, a rusty old roll of it in his Will. Back in his days Solar power was mostly used to warm up after a cold night. He would be amazed that you could use it to make electricity.

* My family is complicated.

I may not go the cheapest route but I sure won't go $20k+ for a full home system with experimenting on a smaller scale. In my research it is clear this is expensive, how expensive it is or will be is up to the individual.

When I got a 4kw grid tied install in MA many years ago I had a disturbing conversation with my local utility manager.
They were giving out either a % or chipping in a cash discount (don't remember which) but we were the last install to get it because
" it is unfair to give the discount to the Lexus people"
In other words, only people with money could afford to buy a system outright.

Back