diy solar

diy solar

Solar Powered 12volt Air Conditioner | Dometic RTX 2000 |

bodiepetro

I've been researching efficient Air Conditioners for 2 years before finally pulling the trigger on this Direct Current (solar and battery powered) roof mounted unit from Dometic on my 170 EXT Sprinter van . Very happy with power consumption & off-grid capability with 800 watts of solar on my roof and a 300ah Kilovault battery.

This is a Dometic RTX 2000 12volt system (6,824 BTU).

I made an install and review video if you would like to learn more. This unit is 12 volt powered and draws 120-700 watts maximum, a spendy unit but I am satisfied so far and can't wait to utilize this in warmer temperatures.
acrooftop.jpgIMG_20210408_010923.jpg

Thanks for putting this together!
I like the low profile! I guess Dometic is testing the Marketplace with the price. I already saw some Chinese non-names with a similar formfactor.

Vans are currently a hot commodity, so they are overcharging until they cant :p

Great video, thanks. I’m thinking I might want to install one, but I’m having a hard time figuring out of it needs to be covered if it’ll get snowed on and can the unit be ran while driving?
These issues aren’t addressed in the documents,
Nomadcooling wasn’t sure and Dometic didn’t answer....

i would personally not feel comfortable leaving those vents vertically unshielded even if manufacturer said it’s ok. just my 0.02usd

You can certainly run this unit when you are driving, the low profile of the unit compared to standard rooftop units of 12-16" makes it not catch a lot of wind. Unit only sticks up 6.5" above my roof and only 4" above my solar panels. I recently performed a power consumption test on a sunny warm day of 80°F, see how this unit performs with my 800watts of solar powering it.

Attachments

• IMG_20210405_183929.jpg
    IMG_20210405_183929.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20210408_001943.jpg
    IMG_20210408_001943.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20210408_010923.jpg
    IMG_20210408_010923.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 12
You can certainly run this unit when you are driving, the low profile of the unit compared to standard rooftop units of 12-16" makes it not catch a lot of wind. Unit only sticks up 6.5" above my roof and only 4" above my solar panels. I recently performed a power consumption test on a sunny warm day of 80°F, see how this unit performs with my 800watts of solar powering it.

Thanks! Love your channel, BTW. Any thoughts on leaving it exposed to snow/weather?

tia.

Thanks! Love your channel, BTW. Any thoughts on leaving it exposed to snow/weather?

tia.
Hi Tia! Thank you for the kind words.

This Unit is as well protected as a classic mini split for any home dwelling that is mounted permanently outside the home in all kinds of weather. It is however more exposed than a home unit as it is subjected to road debris and vibrations. This was all taken into consideration when I purchased this unit. I am confident this Dometic unit has been tested thoroughly in demanding off-road conditions and I am not concerned about typical yearly weather from rain/hail/snow. I had three different manufacturers in the final running before I chose Dometic, I will tell you why I went with this manufacturer over the other two (Nomadic Cooling and Kingtec KTD-2)

I am an off-roading enthusiast and follow large races such as the Baja 1000 and the Dakar very closely. I noticed the large 10 ton trucks racing with an AC unit on the roof, behold it was the Dometic RTX2000 24volt mounted! IF you don't know the DAKAR is a 14 day grueling off-road race over every punishing terrain imaginable and if a Dometic AC unit was trusted by these very well funded teams I knew that it would survive the mellow paces that I would be putting it through on my Sprinter RV. Check out the pic below!
download.jpgdometicdakar2.jpgdometicdakar.png

Last edited:
I am an off-roading enthusiast and follow large races such as the Baja 1000 and the Dakar very closely. I noticed the large 10 ton trucks racing with an AC unit on the roof, behold it was the Dometic RTX2000 24volt mounted! IF you don't know the DAKAR is a 14 day grueling off-road race over every punishing terrain imaginable and if a Dometic AC unit was trusted by these very well funded teams I knew that it would survive the mellow paces that I would be putting it through on my Sprinter RV.

Where can you buy the RTX2000 24V in the US? I found them in Europe but so far not in US.

Where can you buy the RTX2000 24V in the US? I found them in Europe but so far not in US.
It is classified as a truck air conditioner, so the typical Dometic dealers will not have access. I have found two available dealers in the US, I am not affiliated with either so please do your own research and purchase at your own discretion.

Pana Pacific Dometic Truck Dealer
Megan Souza in California
megan.souza@panapacific.com

www.nomadiccooling.com
Nomadic Cooling
Sales@nomadiccooling.com
Arizona

Love the 12v idea .... but $2800 ! ?
That amount of money buys you a minisplit, a nice set of lithium batts and a shitton of solar panels ... and the split does not waste valuable roof (solar panel) space .... I guess I pass for now ?

That amount of money buys you a minisplit, a nice set of lithium batts and a shitton of solar panels ... and the split does not waste valuable roof (solar panel) space .... I guess I pass for now ?
True, but in a Van you don't have that much space and the Dometic is a nice package.

Just found this:

$1000 for a DC Mini Split 6600BTU

Bodie, did you see anything in your handling of this unit, other than it's aerodynamics, that would prevent it from being turned 90* to install?

I would place a small spoiler in front of the leading edge. I just won't fit between my panels as it is

LOL yep totally ridiculous price and for a basically wimpy 6.6k btu ac. In Az it would struggle to cool anything bigger than a mini pod type RV . Most RV ac units are
13.5 k btu and even they can’t keep up in <98> deg summer days.
It may cool in high 85-90 degree days up north in the mountains but 6.5btu’s for almost $3k ?

Bodie, did you see anything in your handling of this unit, other than it's aerodynamics, that would prevent it from being turned 90* to install?

I would place a small spoiler in front of the leading edge. I just won't fit between my panels as it is
As long as it is mounted flat you should be fine with the AC operation. The unit allows for up to 20° of parking angle to still be operational, but it sounds like you want to mount it side of the unit facing forward.

yes; side facing forward is what I am thinking. As I said, I would put a “spoiler“ in front of if like I have in front of my solar. We are on thr road and I am a tech idiot so I cant post pics of what I have already done-

Also if the $900 Alibaba 24 volt unit I have found will work, it is 8500 btu

when we get home I will post pics and a link to the 24v unit

Last edited:
Back