diy solar

diy solar

Solar powered class B motorhome

Jack1954

This is my first post so hello to all from Arkansas, I am a retired electronic tech so I'm old and remember when things where repaired rather than thrown away. I'm a gearhead at heart my hobbies are cars, planes, and boats and have built some pretty cool stuff over the years including an experimental airplane that I flew for years all over the country. On the solar side I was familiar but not educated with all the products available on the market so my hat is off to Will Prowse's videos which are excellent and my great niece who works for AltE solar.

We bought a 2012 class B Airstream Interstate in 2015 as it fits our needs for 2 person 1 dog camping except I found the vans electrical components to be cheap additions to the van just to say "it has solar" which means everything is way undersized. It came with a 100W panel on the roof, 750W inverter charger with PWM charging, 128AH glass mat batteries, so other than watching the TV you had to be on shore power or run the propane powered generator to run anything but the led TVs and refrigerator. There are a thousands of complaints about the Airstreams vans and its systems so I will not go there but reflect on what we've done to make its electrical system more useable for travel and boondocking.

BEFORE solar electrical upgrade we to add 450AH to the 128AH glass mat batteries using T105 golf cart batteries and this did well for camping for a few days without shore power but we needed run the AC, water heater or microwave which was not possible with the 750W inverter. The next major change was removing the roof top AC unit and replacing it with a 12,000 BTU inverter technology mini split heat pump which sparked a great deal of controversy in the Airstream community but that was 1.5 years ago and can tell you its a key part of electrical system and has worked flawlessly for over 1.5 years, its quite as a whisper and will freeze you out compared to its old 15,000 BTU counterpart and runs on 1044 watts full power and yes the door still works as I used flexible refrigerant lines. After that we needed to upscale everything else to meet the needs of the van, I had 578AH (289 usable) and we decided on victron for the inverter charger and controllers per my niece recommendations. We added 750W of solar panels to the roof and a 3000 watt inverter charger, solar charge controller, DC to DC converter (to charge from engine alternator), victron color panel, and a victron BVM 712 battery monitor.

After I installed all the above and found out just how usable everything was and having the ability to run (not all at one time) the AC heat pump, microwave, water heater, coffee pot and more off batteries and sun so we took the plunge and bought 600AH of Calb lifepo4 batteries from China and a Daly BMS to monitor them. Now we can run our AC at quite mode in the garage (no solar) which only draws 480W for almost 9 hours before we hit the 25% of the capacity of the batteries, I also have it programed to only charge to 85-90% of the full potential as Wills advice. The AC will run off the solar on quite mode without even touching the batteries capacity if parked in sunny area or driving down the road. We run the heat pump when we go shopping or hikes to keep the pup cool or warm till we get back and when I pull over for a nap. :) Please note the picture with the 100A fuses between the cells is no longer like that, it was an idea and not that good of one, not sure what I was thinking, now just copper buss bars between the series and parallel cells.

We are very happy and money well spent on this van and enjoy it immensely. Now I just received another 700AH of the same batteries I plan on building a small enclosed boondocking trailer to pull behind the RV, the small trailer will have additional solar and 700AH capacity of lifepo4 with the ability to haul bikes and our blow up boat, this will also be a back up at our home in case we ever need power for critical items.

Attachments

• b.jpg
    b.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 85
  • f.jpg
    f.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 82
  • lithum1.jpg
    lithum1.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 84
  • lithium2.jpg
    lithium2.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 75
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 79
  • mini split outside2.jpg
    mini split outside2.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 78
  • acrunning.jpg
    acrunning.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 75
  • tv ant.jpg
    tv ant.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 177824373_581110039521397_8451264093415413117_n.jpg
    177824373_581110039521397_8451264093415413117_n.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 79
Love the build! Although I'm most impressed and intrigued by the mini-split. How's it working out?

Love the build! Although I'm most impressed and intrigued by the mini-split. How's it working out?
We couldn't be happier I wish I could have mounted the compressor unit underneath where the spare tire is but the but due to oil in the compressor it must be kept upright. I used flexible refrigerant lines so the door is still usable. Building the box around the compressor unit cost more than the inverter mini spilt itself. Its been since July of 2020 since the retrofit and over 20k miles of rough roads and hasn't effected the performance at all. Its silent in comparison to the roof mount and will keep you under the blanket in the summer time and best of all its inverter tech and draws 8.5 amps @120vac at full tilt and ramps down to 3.5 amps @120vac when the inside reaches its set temp. The heat part works but I'm not fond of the compressor turn ramping up and down to defrost the condenser coils, it keeps me awake so I installed diesel heater which is far better. I would bet we will have inverter roof top units available to us in the near future.

Attachments

• 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 22
  • ru2.jpg
    ru2.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 20
This is my first post so hello to all from Arkansas, I am a retired electronic tech so I'm old and remember when things where repaired rather than thrown away. I'm a gearhead at heart my hobbies are cars, planes, and boats and have built some pretty cool stuff over the years including an experimental airplane that I flew for years all over the country. On the solar side I was familiar but not educated with all the products available on the market so my hat is off to Will Prowse's videos which are excellent and my great niece who works for AltE solar.

We bought a 2012 class B Airstream Interstate in 2015 as it fits our needs for 2 person 1 dog camping except I found the vans electrical components to be cheap additions to the van just to say "it has solar" which means everything is way undersized. It came with a 100W panel on the roof, 750W inverter charger with PWM charging, 128AH glass mat batteries, so other than watching the TV you had to be on shore power or run the propane powered generator to run anything but the led TVs and refrigerator. There are a thousands of complaints about the Airstreams vans and its systems so I will not go there but reflect on what we've done to make its electrical system more useable for travel and boondocking.

BEFORE solar electrical upgrade we to add 450AH to the 128AH glass mat batteries using T105 golf cart batteries and this did well for camping for a few days without shore power but we needed run the AC, water heater or microwave which was not possible with the 750W inverter. The next major change was removing the roof top AC unit and replacing it with a 12,000 BTU inverter technology mini split heat pump which sparked a great deal of controversy in the Airstream community but that was 1.5 years ago and can tell you its a key part of electrical system and has worked flawlessly for over 1.5 years, its quite as a whisper and will freeze you out compared to its old 15,000 BTU counterpart and runs on 1044 watts full power and yes the door still works as I used flexible refrigerant lines. After that we needed to upscale everything else to meet the needs of the van, I had 578AH (289 usable) and we decided on victron for the inverter charger and controllers per my niece recommendations. We added 750W of solar panels to the roof and a 3000 watt inverter charger, solar charge controller, DC to DC converter (to charge from engine alternator), victron color panel, and a victron BVM 712 battery monitor.

After I installed all the above and found out just how usable everything was and having the ability to run (not all at one time) the AC heat pump, microwave, water heater, coffee pot and more off batteries and sun so we took the plunge and bought 600AH of Calb lifepo4 batteries from China and a Daly BMS to monitor them. Now we can run our AC at quite mode in the garage (no solar) which only draws 480W for almost 9 hours before we hit the 25% of the capacity of the batteries, I also have it programed to only charge to 85-90% of the full potential as Wills advice. The AC will run off the solar on quite mode without even touching the batteries capacity if parked in sunny area or driving down the road. We run the heat pump when we go shopping or hikes to keep the pup cool or warm till we get back and when I pull over for a nap. :) Please note the picture with the 100A fuses between the cells is no longer like that, it was an idea and not that good of one, not sure what I was thinking, now just copper buss bars between the series and parallel cells.

We are very happy and money well spent on this van and enjoy it immensely. Now I just received another 700AH of the same batteries I plan on building a small enclosed boondocking trailer to pull behind the RV, the small trailer will have additional solar and 700AH capacity of lifepo4 with the ability to haul bikes and our blow up boat, this will also be a back up at our home in case we ever need power for critical items.
Great build! Heat pumps are the way of our future and mini-splits seem like the perfect solution for any RV. The trailer sounds like a good idea, as weight becomes an issue as system size increases. Happy motoring.

Hey Jack, I'm fully inspired.

I took the plunge and bought a 220v mini split for my airstream.

I'm mechanical but a novice electrical guy, I aspire to have my system as clean as yours.

Do you know about autotransformers? I bought the victron https://www.victronenergy.com/autotransformers/autotransformers

in hopes to run the 220v A/C (when I need to) and run the day to day on 110v

Anyway, I didn't mean to hijack your thread. Thank you again for posting, I think no one commented because your build is so good, they had nothing to say.

John

Morning John, I see you went with a cassette type of head unit rather than the standard wall mount head unil as I have. I too wanted to use the cassette type but went the easy way out with a 110Vvac unit. Now in my opinion I would replace your 110vac growatt with a 220vac unit rather than add the victron transformer, the transformation from 110vac to 220vac is not free, it cost a few watts for that thing to run and it will take up space, but if you decide to do the transformer it should work. I only went with a 1 ton unit and its crazy how well it works in 100+ degree heat. One big benefit from covering the roof with solar panels is it creates a air gap between the roof and the panel, that 1 inch of air reduces the heat soak from the sun and really helps!

Very nice sprinter conversion. I’m leery of the swinging door mount, but it does look good.
I’m currently building a solar trailer for backup power to an offsite worksite, and it’s a CHORE… building 600Ah@48V and all the assorted wiring and outlets and inlets… if you did it all yourself, I am IMPRESSED! Likely, nothing for someone who BUILDS EXPERIMENTAL PLANES!!! I’m twinning MPP LV6548’s for 13kW of output…

A VERY belated welcome to the forum!

Back