diy solar

diy solar

Solar Powered Dog Kennel (Large)

wednes

Hello everyone!

I work for a dog breeder who currently has a kennel built for her Irish Wolfhounds. They are running power from the house up to the kennel but would prefer the kennel to have it’s own power without having to be connected to the grid. It is an insulated steel structure that needs power for lighting, fans (can we install ac?), and power washer. I am totally new to this but think it is doable! I just don’t know what I need. Can anyone help?

$10,000 would be a good start.

Power washer will require a large inverter and battery to support it. 3000 watt or larger inverter. "All in One" inverter/charger would be something to look at. You will also need battery and solar panels.

You need to figure out how much power the facility uses each day, and then plan the system accordingly. The easiest setup would be a simple all in on inverter/charger as mentioned above with a appropriately sized battery bank, and as many panels as you can fit.

Since they already have grid, I would not remove it. I would run an all in on in grid assist mode, so you are not reliant completely on solar. Especially if the items (fans and or heat pump/AC) are mission critical. You don't want to be relying on the sun and it takes a vacation for a week or two leaving the dogs in the dark and heat/cold.

You need to figure out how much power the facility uses each day, and then plan the system accordingly. The easiest setup would be a simple all in on inverter/charger as mentioned above with a appropriately sized battery bank, and as many panels as you can fit.

Since they already have grid, I would not remove it. I would run an all in on in grid assist mode, so you are not reliant completely on solar. Especially if the items (fans and or heat pump/AC) are mission critical. You don't want to be relying on the sun and it takes a vacation for a week or two leaving the dogs in the dark and heat/cold.
Note to original poster, iamrich's point about using the grid as a backup will allow for a much smaller battery. The battery doesn't have to last X days if you can fall back on the grid.

Oh yeah! Regarding the grid— definitely will keep kennel connected because fans are mission critical! So long as kennel is MOSTLY powered by solar.

I should have made a priority list, come to think of it. I’ll do it now:

1. Temperature control
2. Lighting
3. Cameras (possibly?)
4. Power washer —> hold this loosely because it is not a necessity, more of a luxury. Take it as an “if possible add-on”

It sounds like my first step is to figure out how much power the kennel currently uses per day. I’m on it!

You might consider a monitor similar to this (Sense). I have one of these and you can use it now and use it later. Now, it will record power used. Later when you have Solar (with the solar addition feature) it will record solar production as well. I have one and really like it. I can monitor from work what solar I am producing and what my wife is consuming :)

Ooohhh! Okay yes thank you!!

Once I figure it out, then I look for panels and systems? Or can I already do SOME research so I can get an idea of ballpark cost?

Back