diy solar

diy solar

Solar pump for small inground spa/hot tub

Nickorozco

I want to build a small inground hot tub and would like to run a sufficiently sized pump (approx 1HP). How do I calculate the size solar panel system I need to run the pump and a couple of lights?

For example, I was considering two 100 watt 12V poly panels, one or two 90-100ah lifePO4 batteries, Epever Tracer BN 40amp MPPT charge controller, and still need advice on the inverter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I would get a DC pump along with DC lights and skip the inverter. Unless you have specific need for AC.

Starts with your pump find out it's power needs then add 8n the lights to see total watts needed per day

Hey Nicko,

What's your area where you are going to use it? It determines the number of panels you would need to offset energy demand. In general, panels should be south-facing at some reasonable angle.

1HP pump seems a lot, 1HP is closely about 750W. In order to start that pump you would need an inverter that can handle a short surge power. Normally, 1500W or 2000W inverter can handle that.

Regarding your initial design, the 40Amp charge controller is overkill for that number of panels. I am assuming your system is going to be 24V, right?

Back