INPUT CURRENT 17A
OUTPUT CURRENT 18A

I want to power a 4 kW AC PUMP
9.8 A over 300m /head 140 m

I have 18 x 300w solar panels
8A
45 V open circuit
37.5 operating voltage
Do I need two strings to power the pump ?

I don't have experience pushing the limits, but from the calculation you are at the point of having to do a parallel set.

If the array is a long distance from the pump and electronics you could try doing the high voltage single string to save money on wire, but if the array is close I would try a parallel string first.

What is the pump voltage at? 240?

You've listed the PV input maximum, but not the ideal.

To keep your array below the maximum, while maximizing your input voltage you'd do one string of 16, which gives you a maximum voltage of 720V, and a nominal voltage of 600V.

This is probably right about where your pump wants to be, so will probably be your best configuration.

If your pump, however, has a high range but prefers a lower voltage, then two parallel strings of nine panels each might work best. That gives a maximum voltage of 405V, and a nominal voltage of 338v.

Make sure, however, that you understand your needs. If the panels are on a tracker, and on a sunny day, they would produce 5.4kW, but if they are fixed mount, pointing south, then you'll get peaks near 5kW for an hour or two on bright days, and you'll get 1-2kW in the morning and afternoon, with peaks around 3kW on many days.

That will affect your head pressure and volume, and if you're designing near the pump's limit, then you won't see any pumping for most of the day. The pump will be spinning, but it won't be generating its rated output unless the VFD is providing its rated input - and it simply won't be most of the day, even on sunny days, unless you have more panels or a solar tracking unit.

The solar VFD does not have energy storage, so all it can do is give as much power to the pump as it's receiving in solar at that moment.

I don't have experience pushing the limits, but from the calculation you are at the point of having to do a parallel set.

If the array is a long distance from the pump and electronics you could try doing the high voltage single string to save money on wire, but if the array is close I would try a parallel string first.

What is the pump voltage at? 240?
Pump voltage 380 v three phase
Solar and inverter just 3 meters away
But pump and inverter 120 meters

Thank you I'm in Zimbabwe
and we have longer sunny days
Almost 7 hoours of stable sunshine from 0830- 1430 hrs
According your advice a two string system will do with 16 panels each ?

You've listed the PV input maximum, but not the ideal.

To keep your array below the maximum, while maximizing your input voltage you'd do one string of 16, which gives you a maximum voltage of 720V, and a nominal voltage of 600V.

This is probably right about where your pump wants to be, so will probably be your best configuration.

If your pump, however, has a high range but prefers a lower voltage, then two parallel strings of nine panels each might work best. That gives a maximum voltage of 405V, and a nominal voltage of 338v.

Make sure, however, that you understand your needs. If the panels are on a tracker, and on a sunny day, they would produce 5.4kW, but if they are fixed mount, pointing south, then you'll get peaks near 5kW for an hour or two on bright days, and you'll get 1-2kW in the morning and afternoon, with peaks around 3kW on many days.

That will affect your head pressure and volume, and if you're designing near the pump's limit, then you won't see any pumping for most of the day. The pump will be spinning, but it won't be generating its rated output unless the VFD is providing its rated input - and it simply won't be most of the day, even on sunny days, unless you have more panels or a solar tracking unit.

The solar VFD does not have energy storage, so all it can do is give as much power to the pump as it's receiving in solar at that moment.

I recently purchased a 7.5 kW SOLAR PUMP VFD
Parameters :
PV INPUT -750V
INPUT CURRENT 17A
OUTPUT CURRENT 18A

8A
45 V open circuit
37.5 operating voltage

It is the MPP Solar 7,5kW solar pump inverter?
http://www.mppsolar.com/manual/Sola...p inverter 3phase (2.2, 7.5, 11kw) manual.pdf

It says 800Voc, so 18x45 = 810V ... to much.
Mppt: 250-780V ... ideal 540V
Max solar W: 12.000W

In 2 string 2x9 panel (5400W):
Voc: 9x45 = 405V ... OK
Mppt: 9x37,5 = 338V ... a bit too low. Starts on 250V.

Ideal: 14 solar panel serial (4200W)
Voc: 14x45 = 530V ... OK
Mppt: 14x37,5 = 525V ... near 540V OK

Ideal 2: 2x parallel the 14 solar panel serial (8400W)

Max 17 panel serial (5100W):
Voc: 17x45= 765V .... OK
Mppt: 17x37,5 = 638V ... a bit much but will work

Thank you I'm in Zimbabwe
and we have longer sunny days
Almost 7 hoours of stable sunshine from 0830- 1430 hrs
According your advice a two string system will do with 16 panels each ?

A two string system with 16 panels in each string would work well.

I recently purchased a 7.5 kW SOLAR PUMP VFD
Parameters :
PV INPUT -750V
INPUT CURRENT 17A
OUTPUT CURRENT 18A

8A
45 V open circuit
37.5 operating voltage
THANK YOU GUYS FOR YOUR CONTRIBUTION ON THIS LAST YEARS POST
I USED 17 X 330W CANADIAN SOLAR ,OPEN CIRCUIT 45V IN SERIES
instead of manufacturers recommendation of 300w x 15 x 2 strings =30 PANELS

RESULTS FROM A VFD READING
7.5 A
710 V
43 HZ
WATER OUTPUT 13000 LITERS PER HOUR AT 121M HEAD
400M DISTANCE FROM BOREHOLE TO A TANK

THANK YOU GUYS FOR YOUR CONTRIBUTION ON THIS LAST YEARS POST
I USED 17 X 330W CANADIAN SOLAR ,OPEN CIRCUIT 45V IN SERIES
instead of manufacturers recommendation of 300w x 15 x 2 strings =30 PANELS

RESULTS FROM A VFD READING
7.5 A
710 V
43 HZ
WATER OUTPUT 13000 LITERS PER HOUR AT 121M HEAD
400M DISTANCE FROM BOREHOLE TO A TANK

Do not forget to check Voc of the string regularly :)
If I remember correctly PV string is 765Voc ... that is near the 800Voc limit.
So if there is bellow 8 Celsius and sun is shining ... it could be more than 800V.
;)

thank you
Do not forget to check Voc of the string regularly :)
If I remember correctly PV string is 765Voc ... that is near the 800Voc limit.
So if there is bellow 8 Celsius and sun is shining ... it could be more than 800V.
;)

Back