diy solar

diy solar

Solar Radiation - The 1000 w/m² of the STC

Ive been seeing high numbers in array output also. At Michigan.

That is interesting! Looks like it lasted from 10:20 to 11:20 A.M and very shortly after the rain storm.

1587724340615.png

If it wasn't a magnifying raindrop I'd have to say a reflection from a wet surface acting like a mirror towards it. If you ever lock it down for sure let us know.

I wonder if water could have worked it's way inside and shorted the sensor? Meh, not much wind with the rain...

Hmmm... temperature was rising... Atmospheric lensing? Nah, at 2kW/m2 it would most likely have fried your PV system.
1587724681462.png

Do you have any panel readings by chance at that time-frame?

Last edited:
Doesn't look like the sun was doing anything weird and we're at solar minimum:
ace-mag-swepam-3-day.gif

If it was not some kind of reflection at the Sensor, then it was most likely Cloud Edge Effect ...

If it was not some kind of reflection at the Sensor, then it was most likely Cloud Edge Effect ...
Never heard of it! Thanks for sharing that! From ref:
The cloud-edge effect is when a thin distributed cloud passes over the DC array and the edges of the cloud intensify the irradiance moving instantaneous transient power to the inverter. This can potentially cause an over-voltage issue in the inverter reaching above its nominal MPPT range thereby shutting down the inverter. Almost all inverters use an IGBT switching device to convert DC (PV Panel) to AC (grid) power. These devices have limitation based on design factor. Some designs would not allow you to safely track MPPT beyond 800V for a 100-V system for instance. When cloud-edge effect happens in the field, the inverters typically limit the current, thereby raising the DC voltage above nominal condition reaching above MPPT range. This will cause the inverters to shut-down; thus, accumulating downtime.

We could check logs. I have been seeing record high pv wattage from all arrays. 1320w from 1200W sub arrays. They will occasionally do 1200W, ive never seen outputs like these.

Getting into the monitors for customer owned systems to check it out.

My panels were a little under for 4/23/2020... about 94% of the previous day.

Back