diy solar

diy solar

Solar required for 6kw Sauna Heater

Ghunt

Hi all, I'm a noob here and would appreciate any advice. I have a Sauna with a 240v 6kw Heater 3-phase that I would like to run via Solar. The 3-phase probably isn't an issue as I could strap the 3-phases together and run off a 32A breaker with 6mm cabling to make it single phase. The 6kw would be at max temp setting and the heater would be run for max 30 minutes at any given day. We don't have a lot of $$$ and running off Solar is going to be cheaper than having it cabled and connected to our House. What type of Inverter would be recommended that I should be looking at, I haven't decided on Panels or Batteries as of yet as I thought it best to get the Inverter first. Thanks in advance.

What makes you think solar is going to be cheaper? It will be at least several thousand dollars for enough solar to run it, is it really that much to run a wire from your house?

I agree with BvilleBob, your idea will never be cost-effective unless you have some other valuable use for the solar power. Running cable from the house is going to be very small cost compared to getting the Sauna up and running on solar.

If you are determined to use solar, look into the question of whether the sauna heater can deliver enough heat, if it is limited to 3,000 or 4,000 watts, with the heater running for proportionally longer time. The peak 6,000 watts, being used only 30 minutes per day will significantly add to the effective system cost. Without modification, the sauna heater very likely will draw 6,000 peak, no matter what the temperature setting. The temperature is likely kept at a lower target by simply drawing the peak 6,000 watts for fewer minutes out of each use period.

You have a small average load, but a very large peak load. Generally, It is the peak load that determines system size requirements (except for, to some extent, battery size).

Your idea CAN be cost-effective, but only if you can put the system to something close to full use, and perhaps only if you can temper that 30-minutes-per-day peak load. Possible uses: charging an Electric Vehicle, space heat in winter, hot water heating, running a well pump in summer for lawn watering, back up power in the event of an emergency. Unfortunately, most alternate uses can involve significant wiring costs, and complicated power-source switching. For those of us that don’t have a lot of money, a solar system needs to be carefully integrated into our total power need..

Back