diy solar

diy solar

Solar Roof Deck?

Dzl

Unofficial Forum Librarian & Perpetual Newbie
Staff member
This company (Tiny Watts Solar) specializes in high end builds mostly for the vanlife/sprinter community it seems. I get the impression their primary business is semi-custom electrical system design-builds.

But the feature that makes them stand out, and the feature that caught my eye, is the 'solar roof deck' and 'solar roof box' products they offer. I can't find a ton of information on it, but from what I have been able to gather the solar roof deck is a 500W nominal panel, flush mounted to some sort of composite backing, with a profile of just an inch or two, and is designed to be walked on, sat on, and to handle up to 750lbs I think, it is also apparently flexible and bendable. The solar roof box is the same concept but build into the lid of a large rooftop storage box. A lot of the info out there is for their gen1 product, I think they are currently updating their website with info about the gen 2 product, but its not up yet. There instagram has some pictures of it.

As cool as I think the concept is, I'm a wary of it too. I wonder how durable the panel is over time, will the panel output be degraded over 5+ years of being used as a deck? How efficient are these panels, it seems likely heat would be an issue since they are attached directly to a composite backing much in the same way stick on flexible solar panels suffer?

You can see the panel and the build process (of the first gen roof deck) in this video beginning at 3:30 and a tour of their own very cool van here.

I just had Merlin FX panels installed on my RV Roof. They seem very strong, but I won't be walking on them. They will bear the weight, but I don't want to scratch them

Let's hear about that install?
How many watts, how much space, what's the production look like?
Did they say you would walk on them?

2013 Tiffin upgrade

My installer did not recommend it. He was putting over 3k of panels on his 5th wheel while they are quite robust in construction, neither of us felt it was prudent to walk on them.

They appear solidly built use 3m tape(can't remember which tape, but entire back of the panels were covered.

I am getting a SCA 252 pop top fitted and I would like to get the most PV I can out of it, so this is interesting. Expensive, though!

A.

Yes, I paid a premium for the panels. Seems like it was $700 or so more than the 6 rigid panels, but I can't find the two different invoices.

Looks nice, but the markup for their gear is crazy given what you actually get.

Back