diy solar

diy solar

Solar set up

mrb45503

4-100W Renogy mono crystalline panels
2-100ah Renogy hybrid gel batteries
Renogy 40 amp Rover battery controller

Set up is for a jay flight slx camper that has a factory installed WFCO-8735P 600 watt 35 amp charger/converter

I use about 400-500 watts a day. Powering a 12 volt fridge, water pump and some led lights

Should my panels be in parallel or series?
Batteries parallel or series?
Is my factory converter sufficient or should I replace?

Comments, guidance and suggestions welcomed

Thanks,
Mark

Did you budget for a charger to make SURE that your batteries are truly fully charged *individually* properly before you begin? Slapping them together and hoping for solar and lead-acid to self-balance the cells internally is less than effective when first received.

If you are picking a charger or SCC, you'd be advised to follow the low-end of the specification you may see on the Renogy hybrids case. That is, your CV should be no higher than 14.2v. Personally, I'd lower it to 14.1v CV, because Gel - even when hybrid, is a bit less forgiving than agm.

You can be more agressive and treat them like AGM's, and basically get less life out of them - even though they seem to function ok at first. Money wasted.

Others can comment on your other needs. I'd just hate to see you shoot your wallet in the foot out of the gate. :)

Reactions: Mia
Gels are particularly sensitive to overvoltage. IIRC the Renogy gels have the charging setpoints printed right on the case. I'd doublecheck that the WFCO-8735P can charge at the lower voltages gel tends to require.

Back