diy solar

diy solar

Solar Setup For Apartment Balcony

100LastGoodNerves

I own two folding 21w portable usb Ravpower panels, an Anker 21w panel and a goal zero nomad 7. Can any of these be chained together using a combiner, splitter, daisy chain cable with a 5.5 mm barrel plug on other end and into a solar port on a charge controller? Btw, I also have a Harbor Freight Thunderbolt 100 W kit with basic charge controller.

Of course, i realize some of these products may not be designed or they are proprietary for my application of providing some lights and iphone charging or even charging a dorm fridge for my insulin. Anyone have an opinion on my set up? Thanks

Hello and welcome to the forums!
  • Can you actually step out onto your balcony?
  • Which way does the balcony face?
  • How many watts does the dorm fridge take?
  • Do you have a propane grill on your balcony?
You might also like to check out this thread: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/help-please-miami-condo-hurricane-prep.8470 (it challenged a lot of preconceived notions on condo life and has just about every idea imaginable in there) or the FAQs for some explanations and examples.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the forums!
  • Can you actually step out onto your balcony?
  • Which way does the balcony face?
  • How many watts does the dorm fridge take?
  • Do you have a propane grill on your balcony?
You might also like to check out this thread: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/help-please-miami-condo-hurricane-prep.8470 (it challenged a lot of preconceived notions on condo life and has just about every idea imaginable in there) or the FAQs for some explanations and examples.
yes i have a decent size balcony. however we face West. this was theory to getting amorphus panels for clouds and such.

... I realize most [different types of panels] cannot be chained or dumped into a charge controller...

If your panels have their own controllers you can use multiple controllers to the same battery. Different types of panels can be hooked up in some instances, Amy did some videos on it... this might help too.

... we face West....
No worse than east! I see you read through the condo east-facing thread... From that thread you might want to go through the same steps (e.g., put a power budget together, estimate how much power you can get west facing, etc.).

Let us know if you have any questions.

Back