diy solar

diy solar

Solar setup for Jeep JKU

bondkx01

Good day everyone,

First I'd like to extend a thank you for any help provided. I am new to solar but I've been reading a bunch over the last few months and I have had some small exposure to a previous marine system.

First my expectation:
I have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler unlimited that I would like to run my Dometic CTX 55 fridge via 12v plug, charge phones, Ipad, run a small blender, and probably a small 12v fan. Most of our camping is in Arizona with lots of sun.

Here's are some components I have that I plan to reuse:

One Victron MPPT 100 | 30 Blue Solar Charge Controller
Two Kyocera 150 Watt Solar Panels Model KD150GX-LFU (300 watts total)

What I need help with:

Battery
- I am leaning towards a 100AH Lossigy Lithium Battery (no particular brand loyalty, just what I saw out there) Should I go larger than 100amp?
Battery monitor system - I've seen the Victron 700 & 712 battery monitors. I believe the 712 is the one with the Bluetooth capability so I could monitor also via my phone app? Is there something better that those solutions?
Wiring - type and size to run
Power inverter - size and model? Things I should bare in mind?
Addl bonus - DC to DC converter - to charge my 100ah while driving. The factory alternator is 160amps. I was looking to charge at say 20amps while driving. Maybe this is overkill with the 300 watt solar?

For reference, my panels will be mounted securely on my rooftop tent top cover fulltime and I intend to store the battery in the back cargo area.

Hope that provides enough context to allow suggestions.

Thank you!
Ken

Blender is the driving force. How much power does it use (volts and amps), and how long do you think you'll use it daily?
120v and 5-7amps. It's the 600 watt nutri bullet. Will use for maybe 3-5 mins to make breakfast each morning.

While the unit uses < 1000W, that unit may require a 1500-2000W inverter to insure the inverter can handle the surge. Many lightweight inverters list a 2X surge power, but unfortunately, those aren't adequate for starting electric motors.

I would try to find out how many kWh the fridge uses/day.

The goal is to find out how many kWh/day all your devices will use.

That determines how much solar you'll need in conjunction with your available solar as well as how much battery you'll need to last between charges.

Battery - I am leaning towards a 100AH Lossigy Lithium Battery (no particular brand loyalty, just what I saw out there) Should I go larger than 100amp?

1.28kWh total capacity, 80% usable, so 1.024kWh

Battery monitor system - I've seen the Victron 700 & 712 battery monitors. I believe the 712 is the one with the Bluetooth capability so I could monitor also via my phone app? Is there something better that those solutions?

700 does not have bluetooth. 712 offers bluetooth plus an option for a temperature sensor. There is a "Smartshunt" that provides similar functionality to the 712, but it does not have an external display.

Wiring - type and size to run

Sized based on needed current and wire ratings.

Power inverter - size and model? Things I should bare in mind?

Per above, maybe as high as 1500-2000W

Addl bonus - DC to DC converter - to charge my 100ah while driving. The factory alternator is 160amps. I was looking to charge at say 20amps while driving. Maybe this is overkill with the 300 watt solar?

Renogy and Victron offer quality DC-DC chargers.

300W of PV with full optimal solar exposure could charge your battery in less than a day.

I enjoyed my Giandel 1200W but I have a Reliable / QZRELB 2000W I used for a few weeks that impressed me.

At the low-buck end I’d try the Reliable. Not bottom of the barrel but economically comfortable.
Test it for neutral/ground bond and act accordingly

While the unit uses < 1000W, that unit may require a 1500-2000W inverter to insure the inverter can handle the surge. Many lightweight inverters list a 2X surge power, but unfortunately, those aren't adequate for starting electric motors.

I would try to find out how many kWh the fridge uses/day.

The goal is to find out how many kWh/day all your devices will use.

That determines how much solar you'll need in conjunction with your available solar as well as how much battery you'll need to last between charges.

1.28kWh total capacity, 80% usable, so 1.024kWh

700 does not have bluetooth. 712 offers bluetooth plus an option for a temperature sensor. There is a "Smartshunt" that provides similar functionality to the 712, but it does not have an external display.

Sized based on needed current and wire ratings.

Renogy and Victron offer quality DC-DC chargers.

300W of PV with full optimal solar exposure could charge your battery in less than a day.
Greatly appreciate the direction. Will see what I can find on my kWh/day and go from there. Thank you!

I enjoyed my Giandel 1200W but I have a Reliable / QZRELB 2000W I used for a few weeks that impressed me.

At the low-buck end I’d try the Reliable. Not bottom of the barrel but economically comfortable.
Test it for neutral/ground bond and act accordingly
Thank you!

Back