diy solar

diy solar

Solar Shed Batteries vs Wisconsin Winter?

gdawg

Hi All,

Last summer I installed a 2 panel ( 2x 100 watt) solar kit from Renogy to charge my electric lawn mowers, trimmer, etc. It has worked very well and has had no problem keeping up with the demand. Now, as winter is approaching, I won't really be needing to use the system at all until next spring. The whole thing sits in an 8 x 8 shed, which is not insulated. Two 105 ah AGM batteries are in a plywood box which is well ventilated.

The question I have is: can I just leave it as-is until next spring? Will the solar charge controller keep the batteries topped up? Or will the severe cold with temps getting as low as -20F damage the batteries?

Thank you in advance for your input!

Hi All,

Last summer I installed a 2 panel ( 2x 100 watt) solar kit from Renogy to charge my electric lawn mowers, trimmer, etc. It has worked very well and has had no problem keeping up with the demand. Now, as winter is approaching, I won't really be needing to use the system at all until next spring. The whole thing sits in an 8 x 8 shed, which is not insulated. Two 105 ah AGM batteries are in a plywood box which is well ventilated.

The question I have is: can I just leave it as-is until next spring? Will the solar charge controller keep the batteries topped up? Or will the severe cold with temps getting as low as -20F damage the batteries?

Thank you in advance for your input!
They will be fine as long as you keep them connected. You charge controller will keep them charged and on float.
If you in area that gets snow just make sure you clean you solar panel off from time to time.

Awesome, that's great to hear! Thank you for responding. I do have the remote temp probe installed as well so that should help the controller out with battery condition.

Back