diy solar

diy solar

Solar + Shore Power Charging

horseplay

Can I hook up solar power charging (for example Renogy solar kit, MPPT) and shore power charger (for example Progressive Dynamics converter charger) at the same time?

I have a small trailer with factory installed WFCO converter and DC distribution panel. Do not need inverter for now. The plan is to swap out the WFCO converter with one made for LiFePo and add solar to the system.

Or I am better off with the all-in-one system like the MPP?

Thanks!

You can have both at the same time. If possible, I like to make the charging voltages the same for both, but even if you can't it still works fine.

Hi @horseplay, this is @Horsefly. ?

I agree that you should be able to use the same voltage for multiple charging sources. However, my Schneider-based system had a problem a year or so after we installed it, where the inverter/charger would cycle when the generator was running between accepting the generator output or not. After asking lots of people (Schneider doesn't really provide end-user support), I found out that they really like to have slightly different charging voltages. So I set my MPPT to 29.1V and the inverter/charger to 29.2V for my 24V AGM system, and all was well. Kinda crazy, but it worked. So if you find there is an issue, try tweaking the settings a bit.

Hi @horseplay, this is @Horsefly. ?

I agree that you should be able to use the same voltage for multiple charging sources. However, my Schneider-based system had a problem a year or so after we installed it, where the inverter/charger would cycle when the generator was running between accepting the generator output or not. After asking lots of people (Schneider doesn't really provide end-user support), I found out that they really like to have slightly different charging voltages. So I set my MPPT to 29.1V and the inverter/charger to 29.2V for my 24V AGM system, and all was well. Kinda crazy, but it worked. So if you find there is an issue, try tweaking the settings a bit.

Maybe the voltage measured is not that accurate. 0.1V is probably within the margin of error. Current will go from high voltage to low voltage.

I have both solar power and a the shore power AC to DC COnverter in myRV with no Transfer switch.

I run my inverter to my shore power. Key is shutting the converter circuit breaker when in use. If I’m low on battery because of cloudy days, the solar stays on, but I disconnect the inverter and run a generator on shore power until the battery is charged.

I don’t see a problem to this since I rarely need a charge because of coulda days and almost never stay at a campground with shore power.

If I were to design the system again, an all in one looks like a better way to do it and so much cheaper.

These all in ones are nice and definitely good deals for the build in transfer switch but are overkills for my setup. I don't need an inverter so it's a matter of shore charger + solar charger for about $300 from victron. If I do need AC I will just run a small one which I already have for my car. My camper is only 10 ft long.

Back