diy solar

diy solar

Solar slow pump

Naturaledge

I would like to build a solar slow pump similar to dankoff I was looking at sizing the motor and model number and what model pump. I see dankoff uses a procon pump and I see plenty of places to buy them I was just wondering what model of pump I need. I'm going to be pumping from a pond up about 350 ft at the max gallon to a gallon a minute is fine. Thank you Brian

Welcome and sorry that no one has responded yet!

So that pump head is what often used in an commercial expresso makers and ice cream machine for those who don't know. I have one in my home's radiant in floor application because I have an atmospheric storage tank.

There's plenty of places that sell the AC version for specialized applications but you want an DC version.

Pump choice depends on two things. #1 is the water needs (gallons per minute or gallons per day) and #2 the total head pressure. Well there's a 3rd thing.... your budget.

Do you mean 350' of distance or vertical lift?

Here's a link that might help you get your needs detailed. https://www.pumpfundamentals.com/what is head.htm

Bottom line is that is a highly specialized pump so I will offer that only place you're likely going to get a solar slow pump like a Dankoff is from Dankoff. But if you find out otherwise please let us know.

edit to fix typo

Last edited:
Brian since you can locate the pump near the pond and your vacuum head could be minimal, did you consider a piston pump like what Dankoff also offers, instead of their slow pump? I think piston pumps are more tolerant of dirty water and they’re just plain coooool. Also, as OzSolar questioned, do you mean 350ft vertical or just through 350ft of pipe with much less lift? I rebuilt a 1926 Duro piston pump (pictured below) and used it on my shallow sand point wells. Since I’m at 6300ft, I’m limited to about 17-19ft of suction lift in my sand point well with no issues pumping above that once it exits my pump. At that suction I’m getting 1.5 gpm continuous on about 100watts with my DC motor (shown with the connected belt in the picture). The pump can also run on the original 1926 AC motor if I move the belt.

1649618997712.jpeg

Last edited:
Brian since you can locate the pump near the pond and your vacuum head could be minimal, did you consider a piston pump like what Dankoff also offers, instead of their slow pump? I think piston pumps are more tolerant of dirty water and they’re just plain coooool. Also, as OzSolar questioned, do you mean 350ft vertical or just through 350ft of pipe with much less lift? I rebuilt a 1926 Duro piston pump (pictured below) and used it on my shallow sand point wells. Since I’m at 6300ft, I’m limited to about 17-19ft of suction lift in my stand point well with no issues pumping above that once it exits my pump. At that suction I’m getting 1.5gpm continuous on about 100watts with my DC motor (shown with the connected belt in the picture). The pump can also run on the original 1926 AC motor if I move the belt.

View attachment 90657
That Duro is old school cool. It looks very similar the Dankoff piston pump. I assume that what it's based on? Must be some neat history there.

20 yrs ago I installed one for a customer that ran great for a few years. For some reason that I recall I've ended up with it a few years later. Still have it thinking I'll find a use for it someday.

That Duro is old school cool. It looks very similar the Dankoff piston pump. I assume that what it's based on? Must be some neat history there.

20 yrs ago I installed one for a customer that ran great for a few years. For some reason that I recall I've ended up with it a few years later. Still have it thinking I'll find a use for it someday.
OzSolar there are lots of old, out of business manufacturers of these piston pumps out there. I found mine on eBay. Me and a pal rebuilt it, which was not too difficult. It’s kind of cool to have a very needed tool, which is a great piece of equipment AND is so fun to watch work. And the other cool thing is that it pumps water from sand point wells I installed myself.

I am getting closer I have a 12 volt marathon motor and a procon pump plus solar panels and a linear current bosster. I don't know vertical ft. But close to 300 and maybe 2000 ft. Of 1/2 " pipe to the top and 150 ish ft. Of feed pipe 1"-1 1/4 to pond . Hoping for upwards of a gallon a minute.

I am getting closer I have a 12 volt marathon motor and a procon pump plus solar panels and a linear current bosster. I don't know vertical ft. But close to 300 and maybe 2000 ft. Of 1/2 " pipe to the top and 150 ish ft. Of feed pipe 1"-1 1/4 to pond . Hoping for upwards of a gallon a minute.
How is the project coming along?

Back