diy solar

diy solar

Solar Sump Pump Build

USMC_Rob

Hello

I was watching Will's milk crate build, and it appeared it would power what I needed for the north side of my orchard. I was looking for confirmation of this.

His build; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ypDwMYO1rU

***UPDATED***
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Milk Crate
Renogy Solar Panel 2pcs 100 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline
MPP Solar PIP – 1012LV-MS 12V 1kW Solar Charge Controller
AmpereTime - 200Ah LifePo4 Battery w/BMS
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All of the above to power a Zoeller M73 Sump Pump - 1/3hp (115v) - Amps (5.5)

This sump pump would only run in times of extreme rain/water in my orchard swales. I would say at worst runtime would be 3 hours/day during a event. Probably 90% of the year minimal use if any.

This is my first test run at solar, and wanted to make sure I got the specs right for what I want to power.

Thanks in advance for any comments posted.

-Robert

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

Pumps use a lot of juice and have very high surge. From:

9.4A running = 1128W
29.2A start = 3500W

Your inverter will need to be able to handle 3500W for several seconds. A high frequency inverter like the one Will used would need a RUN rating of at least 3000W to be able to reliably handle the pump.

100Ah * 12.8V = 1280Wh

1280Wh/1128W = 1.1 hours of run time.

For 6 hours/day, you'll need 7 batteries.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

9.4A running = 1128W
29.2A start = 3500W

Your inverter will need to be able to handle 3500W for several seconds. I high frequency inverter like the one Will used would need a RUN rating of at least 3000W to be able to reliably handle the pump.

100Ah * 12.8V = 1280Wh

Ya, I was looking at that. I think I may go with a Big Battery solution, and use the 5a Zoeller Sump. I am thinking 6 hours may be a stretch for sure, as once its caught up, it may be a on/off surge. Not sure really.

Still kind of tweaking the layout. But fairly certain I dont want to buy from AliExpress for those cells, have zero confidence in returns/shipping protocols from them.

Thanks for the info and comment.

Welcome to the forum.

9.4A running = 1128W
29.2A start = 3500W

Your inverter will need to be able to handle 3500W for several seconds. I high frequency inverter like the one Will used would need a RUN rating of at least 3000W to be able to reliably handle the pump.

100Ah * 12.8V = 1280Wh

I updated the specs up top. Hoping thats closer.

I thought I made the point well enough, but I'll say it explicitly.

The MPP Solar PIP – 1012LV-M is grossly inadequate for this pump. It will shut down every time you try to start the pump.

If you're going with a HF inverter or all-in-one, you need at least 3000W, and I'm not 100% certain that will work either.

This inverter should do it because of its 4500W surge capability:

If you go that route, you'll need a solar charge controller too.

You're going to need hearty cables between the inverter and battery due to the 300A surge. If you use too thin a cable, the battery voltage may drop to below inverter cut-off, and it won't start.

I would also plan on 400W of solar.

Back