diy solar

diy solar

Solar system for new RV, planning stage.

Coargonaut

I will be picking up a new Casita trailer later this year.
Electrical requirements are mostly the usual items: water pump, fan, lights, fridge, cell phone and computer charge.
The unusual item is the desire to charge a scooter or e-bike.
I can fit 400 watts of panels on the roof.
The best way to charge the scooter battery (54.6 at 3 amps)? Plug into inverter? DC to DC converter? Other solution?
The trailer comes with some sort of 12 volt battery (upgrade planned, more amp hours, 24 volts or )?

Suggestions?

I will be picking up a new Casita trailer later this year.
Electrical requirements are mostly the usual items: water pump, fan, lights, fridge, cell phone and computer charge.
The unusual item is the desire to charge a scooter or e-bike.
I can fit 400 watts of panels on the roof.
The best way to charge the scooter battery (54.6 at 3 amps)? Plug into inverter? DC to DC converter? Other solution?
The trailer comes with some sort of 12 volt battery (upgrade planned, more amp hours, 24 volts or )?

Suggestions?
I've been tinkering on a system for my van for a while (so I will at least have power in the parking lot, when PG&E fails, which seems likely to occur this summer). I went with 24V, which seems a happy medium, where I can still buy stuff at a good price which will run at that battery voltage, but I cut down, somewhat, on the weight, and cost, of massive cables my van has to carry around.

I wound up with a mix of LiFePO4 and surplus Tesla 2170 cells. The LiFePO4 will go in the van, the Tesla cells under the van (mine has a frame, which leaves some space, not too near the fuel tank, to fit plastic battery boxes, which will, hopefully, melt, dropping the batteries on the road, if they should catch fire).

Last edited:
Well, I know I could go with a $1000 system for the trailer, if the bike/scooter charging isn’t included. Pretty simple stuff.
Overall, the budget is a secondary concern. I haven’t seen a lot of RV systems with the ability to charge a bike. But I don’t want to design a system to charge the bike, then a separate system to operate the trailer. And I don’t want to build a system to run the trailer, and it will take days to charge the bike.
I think I could go with something like the 400 watt system, and charge from an inverter. Yes, there are some losses. Better option?

400w (100wx4?) of panels (how much actual room do you have, because 250wx2 would be better).
https://watts247.com/product/pip-1012lv-ms/ all in one, no messing around
Your choice of 12v battery(s). I would go at least 200ah LifePo, or 400ah lead acid/agm/etc.

1000w 120ac inverter will power your ebike charger (164wh?) with no issues and you have plenty of extra for other stuff. Your panels can charge 1200w-2000w (3-5 hours of sun). Add a little 2000w (or smaller if they make em) generator to get you through the no sun days, and you are all set. This unit will accept Generator in or AC120 (camp ground hook up) as well.

I don't know squat about nice trailers (mine are box, no frills), but all the pics I am seeing have AC. Are you planning to power that as well?

1620935029832.png

I found 200 watt panels that will allow two to be roof mounted. I know a 300 watt panel will be a mounting challenge.
The nifty air conditioning system shown on the roof is an option. I will be using the If It’s Too Hot, Move North air conditioner. Much lower draw on the panels. No microwave either.
Thanks for your opinion!

Ed

No worries, I hope you get it sorted. Another option (maybe) is to have a couple of panels stored that you can deploy when you get to where you are parking for the (insert appropriate period of time). You could have a couple more 200w panels that you could lay out on the ground or on a folding table to something. The unit I linked can be over paneled up to 800w. You won't get that much all at once, but you will get more longer, especially if you can aim the panels at the sun, where as your roof mounted panels are fixed.

Another option is a good small generator. I think the Westinghouse iGen1200 unit at Lowes is under $400 and really quiet (50ish db). You could run that and it won't bother your camping neighbors, or you. :)

No worries, I hope you get it sorted. Another option (maybe) is to have a couple of panels stored that you can deploy when you get to where you are parking for the (insert appropriate period of time). You could have a couple more 200w panels that you could lay out on the ground or on a folding table to something. The unit I linked can be over paneled up to 800w. You won't get that much all at once, but you will get more longer, especially if you can aim the panels at the sun, where as your roof mounted panels are fixed.

Another option is a good small generator. I think the Westinghouse iGen1200 unit at Lowes is under $400 and really quiet (50ish db). You could run that and it won't bother your camping neighbors, or you. :)
Yep, those are true options. Gas generator is way down on my list.
One of these new “solar generators” might be a workable option. I would need to see about charging cycle.
I can make up another system; panels deployed on the bed of my truck. I was thinking a second system is less desirable.
Thanks

Ed

Back