diy solar

diy solar

Solar system with wind with sol ark12k and tess electric lithuim batteries

Are you far from the Twin Cities? I’m working on a system too.

I know those battery cables came with the batteries. But I’m replacing mine with larger guage.

Working on a system here in MN that is coming together nicely.

2kw wind turbine.
20kw of lithuim storage
5kw solar system
Sol ark 12k.
Just curious are you using the Sol-ark MPPT controller for your wind turbine voltage?

Which turbine did you go with?

Last edited:
How is system working so far? I'm thinking of adding wind to my 8K sol-ark. Very curious about how the turbine is working with the solar.

Just curious are you using the Sol-ark MPPT controller for your wind turbine voltage?

Which turbine did you go with?
I'm assuming it's the "SUNWAY" box above the batteries which hopefully is hooked up to a common DC bus. Looks like there's a dump load controller above it.

I also assume that the SolArk's MPPT is not designed to deal with the wildly varying volt and amps from a wind turbine. Hopefully the OP will report back with an update on what wind turbine they used and if it is meeting thier expectations.

I'm assuming it's the "SUNWAY" box above the batteries which hopefully is hooked up to a common DC bus. Looks like there's a dump load controller above it.

I also assume that the SolArk's MPPT is not designed to deal with the wildly varying volt and amps from a wind turbine. Hopefully the OP will report back with an update on what wind turbine they used and if it is meeting thier expectations.
Supposedly they where but I could be mistaken..

Supposedly they where but I could be mistaken..
I could be too. I'll try to remember to ask them about wind next time I'm on the phone with them.

Just for fun I Googled SUNWAY. This was the first hit. Note that the 1000 watt rating is at 28 mph. That means it will spend 99% of the year generating between 0 and 50 watts. No published power curve and no mention of the rotor diameter that I can see. Scary stuff....

1663546639216.png

I could be too. I'll try to remember to ask them about wind next time I'm on the phone with them.

Just for fun I Googled SUNWAY. This was the first hit. Note that the 1000 watt rating is at 28 mph. That means it will spend 99% of the year generating between 0 and 50 watts. No published power curve and no mention of the rotor diameter that I can see. Scary stuff....

View attachment 112466
Turbine is not a Sunway. Its a 2kw 48v Ista Breeze turbine . Controller is custom ordered by sunway for lithuim settings. Turbine will max out during a storm.

Yes of course its hook up to busbars. 600A heavy duty not cheap!

How is system working so far? I'm thinking of adding wind to my 8K sol-ark. Very curious about how the turbine is working with the solar.
Works great. Of course Solar < wind but the huge advantage of having a turbine is on a stormy day. The turbine will max out making the bulk of your power while solar system your lucky to get anything out of it.

Otherwise this turbine is producing a average of 200-400w per hour which isn't much but perfect for night. Helps extend battery life with less cycles which is a win.

View attachment 112466
I looked at Bergey years ago but I just don’t have enough sustained wind to warrant that type of investment.
Our average wind at 80 feet is about 10MPH with obvious gust according to a sensor I put on a friends Ham tower here.

I looked at Bergey years ago but I just don’t have enough sustained wind to warrant that type of investment.
Our average wind at 80 feet is about 10MPH with obvious gust according to a sensor I put on a friends Ham tower here.
Thank goodness you passed on it.

Years ago we were a Bergey dealer for a short period of time. Paid the money to go thier dealer training, took thier tests and learned thier modeling software. We took it really seriously. Installed about 10 turbines over a two year period. All well sited on 100' or taller towers in areas with documented annual average wind speeds of 12MPH to 15MPH.

Once we figured out how grossly overstated thier production numbers were we immediately stopped selling them. And by "grossly exaggerated" I mean like 80% or greater. IE: We had turbines that were modeled to average 900 kWh per month that average less than 150kWH and never exceeded 500kWH. Our poor customers we're out a ton of money and had no recourse. Thankfully none of them took legal action against me. Some looked at how they could go back on Bergey but the hassle wasn't going to be worth any results they might have gotten.

Unfortunately it took about two years of getting the complete run around from Bergey who had checking things that weren't really problems before we knew that they had been lying to us the entire time. Since then I've talked to many other former dealers and owners with similar experiences.

To be honest it was a dark time in in our business and ever since I've rarely passed a chance to caution about Bergey and small wind in general.

Works great. Of course Solar < wind but the huge advantage of having a turbine is on a stormy day. The turbine will max out making the bulk of your power while solar system your lucky to get anything out of it.

Otherwise this turbine is producing a average of 200-400w per hour which isn't much but perfect for night. Helps extend battery life with less cycles which is a win.
That link doesn't work. What is the rotor diameter? You're getting 5 to 10 kWh per day from it? Here's all I can find on it.

Back