diy solar

diy solar

Solar Trailer 2.0 for E-bike Camping / Touring - Advice Needed

solar-e-bike-Derek

So glad to find this forum after doing lots of scrolling and searching online. I'm working on a new project (keep scrolling below to see my specific challenges / questions) to replace my solar bike camping trailer I initially built two years ago. That original version was slapped together fairly quickly with the basic elements being:
* Chariot Cougar 2 Bike Trailer (I found it used, which made it affordable)
* RichSolar 80W Panel
* Jackery 240 Solar Charger / Battery (I've since upgraded to Jackery 300 and have both of these still)
* Kamprite Tentcot
Since the Tentcot is so bulky I had to create a roof rack to carry that and provide the surface for the solar panel. I built the rack almost completely with aluminum crutches from the thrift store. I mounted the panel to the carry bag for the Kamprite and built a little corroplast substructure inside the bag to hold it and threaded the wire through and out so it could reach the Jackery inside the trailer. Also sewed a strap onto it to hold it to the roof rack. I'm actually planning to sell this whole set-up once I've finished my new trailer to recoup some of the costs of the new one. I haven't put a price on it yet but it would reflect the prices I paid for the components and a big discount since it's all used now. I might keep both for the summer if I find someone who wants to try it out and go for a camping trip with me. (I live in Seattle and you would need to rent or own your e-bike, I don't have a spare bike). The trailer itself has not been permanently altered, the roof rack comes off really easy and is a great little child hauler / utility trailer.

This is all pulled by a Bosch Power Train e-bike with lots of torque to get me up the hills and I've never found one that a combo of muscle and motor cannot conquer. The only problem is, those hills kill the battery and so I was trying to figure out a way to power my rides for more distance, which is what spurred the first version of trailer. I carry all of the typical camping gear you would expect. It's not minimalist backpacker style, and I like to enjoy some comforts once I get to camp like a comfortable chair, a nice cooking stove, and the Kamprite allowed me to set up a tent in like 1 minute.

It's now time for Trailer 2.0 and the planned improvements include:
* Narrower design (Chariot Cougar 1 Bike Trailer Chassis I found online)
* More aerodynamic (with a longer, boat-like shape and no roof rack - swapping Kamprite for a light, compact camp tent)
* 2X solar capacity (160W)
* 2X+ battery capacity (640 Wh)
* Faster charging with new MPPT controller
* Easily tilt the "lid" open for optimal charging angle (maybe even while moving)
* Completely water tight (Fiberglass) body and secure lockable closure

Challenges / Questions I've got:
* How do I build a robust battery system that can withstand bumps and vibrations?
* Could I keep my Jackery as back-up system and to avoid installing stand-alone power inverter and "feed" it from the MPPT as the "load"? Also nice to be able to bring your battery into the tent a night to run a fan or something, Jackery could do this.
* How do I build the "lid" to be water-tight and have the ability to "open" at multiple angles to optimize charging. Lid would not be open when raining so does not need to do both simultaneously.
* I've never worked with Fiberglass before - I would love advice on fabricating.
* Trailer will be longer and need to make sure I'm arranging the wheels so that there it not too much weight behind the wheels (for stability)

Sidebar: Just bought a SunPower 100 panel and I think it's counterfeit. Purchased on Amazon from seller Expert Power. Anyone else running into counterfeit panels out there? It works, just not how I expect SunPower to work, so I feel like it's a cheaper panel that's been slapped with the SunPower logo to get a higher price. Logo looks a little off and does not match the SunPower 50 I bought last year. I'm sending the SunPower 100 back and buying the SunPower 110 which hopefully delivers a similar level of performance against the rating I get from the SunPower 50. You can see in the rendering I'm planning on having the 110 and 50 on the top of my new trailer. Update: Seller sent me a paid return label so they've done the right thing, but I wonder how many other sellers are pushing this "not SunPower" panel? The 110 is a lot more expensive ($245) but probably the real deal and so I'm biting the bullet. This seller is calling the 100 "discontinued" and selling it for $130, and that just sounds too good to be true, it was $179 on Amazon. https://www.zampsolar.com/products/sunpower-100-watt-flexi-solar-panel#:~:text=Zamp Solar Discontinued Solar Panels,are available in limited quantities.&text=The panel is thin but,output due to micro cracking.

Attachments

• Trailer and me.jpg
    Trailer and me.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Sunpower.jpg
    Sunpower.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 16
  • chassis.jpg
    chassis.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Trailer.jpg
    Trailer.jpg
    388.4 KB · Views: 14
  • trailer 2.jpg
    trailer 2.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 15
  • trailer1.jpg
    trailer1.jpg
    499.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Trailer strap.jpg
    Trailer strap.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Panel and tent.jpg
    Panel and tent.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 14
  • trailer rack 2.jpg
    trailer rack 2.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Trailer rack.jpg
    Trailer rack.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
So glad to find this forum
Welcome to the forums! Love your project and thank you for all the photos!

Looked them over, but couldn't answer any, sorry!
* I've never worked with Fiberglass before - I would love advice on fabricating.
Lot of youtube videos on this showing different techniques, but I don't know enough to point you to "good" ones.
* Trailer will be longer and need to make sure I'm arranging the wheels so that there it not too much weight behind the wheels (for stability)
I've "heard" 60/40 is the "proper" weight ratio (60% forward).

You might be able to use something that operates as a torsion bar to provide some suspension by moving the connection to the top deck back (in the "trailer rack" photo it looks centered so all the bouncing would be transmitted).

Sidebar: Just bought a SunPower 100 panel and I think it's counterfeit. Purchased on Amazon
Can you call a certified SunPower rep to see if they can tell you how to verify authenticity? As you got it off Amazon you may be entitled to a full hassle-free refund.

Welcome to the forums! Love your project and thank you for all the photos!

Looked them over, but couldn't answer any, sorry!

Lot of youtube videos on this showing different techniques, but I don't know enough to point you to "good" ones.

I've "heard" 60/40 is the "proper" weight ratio (60% forward).

You might be able to use something that operates as a torsion bar to provide some suspension by moving the connection to the top deck back (in the "trailer rack" photo it looks centered so all the bouncing would be transmitted).

Can you call a certified SunPower rep to see if they can tell you how to verify authenticity? As you got it off Amazon you may be entitled to a full hassle-free refund.
Hi Svetz!
Thanks for your comments / questions.

I think that's about right on weight distribution. I also can help control this with how I pack it but ideally the design is optimized to reduce the cognitive lift when packing.

Do you think the torsion bar is necessary since there is a suspension on the trailer? (See the naked chassis with leaf springs in one of the photos) I'm also having trouble visualizing how that would work as I'm not familiar with them.

re: SunPower: The Amazon seller, Expert Power, processed my return but did not provide a paid shipping label automatically. I wrote to them insisting they do send me one and they emailed today with it, so I'm all good. I'm taken care of but I worry this is the tip of the iceberg for the counterfeit operation since so many sellers have this panel at around the same price. There is a seller who describes the unit as "discontinued" but has it for $130, which is an unreasonably good price. Too good to be true?, probably! https://www.zampsolar.com/products/...anel is thin but,output due to micro cracking.

What is the voltage of the battery,? Is the battery removable? Perhaps you could have 2 batteries and charge one directly from solar panel. For building a trailer in closure look up foam and poor man's fiberglass (pmf). People are making small boats and camp trailers with this method.

Ok, first thing, way cool!

I took an Azub trike from Mexico to Colorado. Heavy loaded expedition style. Often thought I could have used some power assist.

A few random thoughts.

Fiberglass is heavy.
Make sure you have max watts per pound on the panel.
Shade is good on long trips.
Check out the sun trip. https://www.thesuntrip.com/en/sun-trip-alpes-2022/
For the weight of the bike and trailer, you could have a trike. Way, way more comfort and stability.

Safe travels!

4A1AA11F-7BA5-4272-B807-B29ADE7EA779.jpeg

So glad to find this forum after doing lots of scrolling and searching online. I'm working on a new project (keep scrolling below to see my specific challenges / questions) to replace my solar bike camping trailer I initially built two years ago. That original version was slapped together fairly quickly with the basic elements being:
* Chariot Cougar 2 Bike Trailer (I found it used, which made it affordable)
* RichSolar 80W Panel
* Jackery 240 Solar Charger / Battery (I've since upgraded to Jackery 300 and have both of these still)
* Kamprite Tentcot
Since the Tentcot is so bulky I had to create a roof rack to carry that and provide the surface for the solar panel. I built the rack almost completely with aluminum crutches from the thrift store. I mounted the panel to the carry bag for the Kamprite and built a little corroplast substructure inside the bag to hold it and threaded the wire through and out so it could reach the Jackery inside the trailer. Also sewed a strap onto it to hold it to the roof rack. I'm actually planning to sell this whole set-up once I've finished my new trailer to recoup some of the costs of the new one. I haven't put a price on it yet but it would reflect the prices I paid for the components and a big discount since it's all used now. I might keep both for the summer if I find someone who wants to try it out and go for a camping trip with me. (I live in Seattle and you would need to rent or own your e-bike, I don't have a spare bike). The trailer itself has not been permanently altered, the roof rack comes off really easy and is a great little child hauler / utility trailer.

This is all pulled by a Bosch Power Train e-bike with lots of torque to get me up the hills and I've never found one that a combo of muscle and motor cannot conquer. The only problem is, those hills kill the battery and so I was trying to figure out a way to power my rides for more distance, which is what spurred the first version of trailer. I carry all of the typical camping gear you would expect. It's not minimalist backpacker style, and I like to enjoy some comforts once I get to camp like a comfortable chair, a nice cooking stove, and the Kamprite allowed me to set up a tent in like 1 minute.

It's now time for Trailer 2.0 and the planned improvements include:
* Narrower design (Chariot Cougar 1 Bike Trailer Chassis I found online)
* More aerodynamic (with a longer, boat-like shape and no roof rack - swapping Kamprite for a light, compact camp tent)
* 2X solar capacity (160W)
* 2X+ battery capacity (640 Wh)
* Faster charging with new MPPT controller
* Easily tilt the "lid" open for optimal charging angle (maybe even while moving)
* Completely water tight (Fiberglass) body and secure lockable closure

* How do I build a robust battery system that can withstand bumps and vibrations?
* Could I keep my Jackery as back-up system and to avoid installing stand-alone power inverter and "feed" it from the MPPT as the "load"? Also nice to be able to bring your battery into the tent a night to run a fan or something, Jackery could do this.
* How do I build the "lid" to be water-tight and have the ability to "open" at multiple angles to optimize charging. Lid would not be open when raining so does not need to do both simultaneously.

Sidebar: Just bought a SunPower 100 panel and I think it's counterfeit. Purchased on Amazon from seller Expert Power. Anyone else running into counterfeit panels out there? It works, just not how I expect SunPower to work, so I feel like it's a cheaper panel that's been slapped with the SunPower logo to get a higher price. Logo looks a little off and does not match the SunPower 50 I bought last year. I'm sending the SunPower 100 back and buying the SunPower 110 which hopefully delivers a similar level of performance against the rating I get from the SunPower 50. You can see in the rendering I'm planning on having the 110 and 50 on the top of my new trailer. Update: Seller sent me a paid return label so they've done the right thing, but I wonder how many other sellers are pushing this "not SunPower" panel? The 110 is a lot more expensive ($245) but probably the real deal and so I'm biting the bullet. This seller is calling the 100 "discontinued" and selling it for $130, and that just sounds too good to be true, it was $179 on Amazon. https://www.zampsolar.com/products/sunpower-100-watt-flexi-solar-panel#:~:text=Zamp Solar Discontinued Solar Panels,are available in limited quantities.&text=The panel is thin but,output due to micro cracking.
Wow! I love your creativity and drive! I hope you're still working on this project. Sorry to hear about the Sunpower situation, but I'm not surprised. It seems to me that the weight of any component in your build is number one. Obviously quality is important as well, but I think if you build the electrical system from the ground up, you have a better chance of avoiding mishaps from bumpy roads, etc. Lightweight lithium battery, lightweight charge controller/inverter, all close together so the weight of the copper wire doesn't add too much. Real Sunpower panel for optimal solar gain per square foot, or maybe even something lighter weight. Anyway, I'm by no means a professional. I just love your project and hope you succeed!
David

Back