diy solar

diy solar

Solar trickle charger

Solartrailer

I have a horse trailer with led lights and I just added a hydraulic jack that needs 12 volts to run. I added a battery box and a rv/marine deep cycle battery. I bought a 20amp panel to use as a trickle charger that I will install on the roof. What I need to know is do I need a charge controller, if so what size? Do I need to place fuses or breakers, where n what size? All help would be appreciated.
Also thoughts on mounting with VHB Tape
Thanks

A charge controller is always recommended, and you can get a small PWM one for very little money. If your panel is very small for the battery and of the right voltage, then you can get away without one as the charge current will be in the overcharge allowance so it won’t damage the battery even if no charge controller stops it upon battery full.

Did you say your panel is 20amp or is it 20watts? What voltage is your panel? What is the size of your battery, is it AGM, normal flooded or sealed lead acid?

You will need a charge controller for that. Generally, you can get away with 2 watts per 50Ah for a 12V battery. So the max you can run without a solar charger for an 100Ah battery would be 5 watts panel (it generally will produce 4w or so). Otherwise you risk overcharging and damaging your battery. You can get away with a very basic / cheap PWM controller, likely $20 or less.

Back