diy solar

diy solar

Solar water irrigation system

rgarry

Please forgive my lack of knowledge. I have a remote property that is far from electric and well. I do have a pond next to an area that I would like to add fruit tree. Was thinking of putting together a solar system that I can use to irrigate the trees. At first it would be 20-30 trees and then expand up to 50. I have been looking at https://shop.rpssolarpumps.com/products/rps-400-solar-well-pump-kit which is a dc pump with solar panels and controller. I was planning on using this in the pond. The water needs to go up 25 -30 ft max and then the trees are all within 200 ft of pump. The issue that I'm struggling with is how I can get the irrigation valves to open up and be on the same system as the pump. I Know I can get solar controllers for irrigation valve such as https://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/..._hyrTGMUK8IymiagKz_BjOnSbpX3RewBoCGjEQAvD_BwE. That should open the valves but obviously the motor and the valves aren't controlled together. I know I am missing something and might be overthinking this. Any help will be appreciated. I am a total newbie but have been reading for months before asking for help.
Ron

RPS uses off-the-shelf AC pumps. Their controller converts the PV DC to AC. RPS seems to be pretty reputable, and I would certainly consider them as a turnkey solution.

The pump tends to work to fill above ground storage based on float level. Low tank, pump on; full tank, pump off. From there you're limited to gravity feed or a secondary pressure system like a jet pump/pressure tank. That would need a separate power system.

You might be able to make the RPS work as part of a pressure tank system, i.e., a pressure tank holds a smaller quantity of water at 65psi. When it drops below 45psi, the pump is commanded on to maintain the pressure in the tank. Shut off at 65psi.

I recommend you contact RPS for options. It's unlikely you're the first to want something like this, so I bet they have some ideas that help you avoid a second pump and second power system.

Thank you both for the replies. Might end up running either 700 ft of electrical wire and add a new pump and pump from pond or just run water lines from the well. I can probably have a fairly straight path to where I would like to bring the water and with a ditch witch probably can knock it out in a day.

I have an RPS system in my well which pumps to a cistern. I added storage batteries, primarily so that I can water my garden and orchard during the day and have it refill over night. It works very well for what I need. However I do not use the RPS pump to pressurize the house or irrigation plumbing (there is another pump in the cistern for that).

I am not entirely clear on the system your describing, but if you have some elevation, you could use a holding tank or cistern to store the water from the pond and then use gravity or another pump to move the water to the trees. Or if these trees are the only place this water is going, you could directly plumb the RPS pump output to the tree irrigation (with an appropriately sized pressure tank),, and control the RPS pump working via its tank full input and a relay from a timer or your zone controller.

One possible concern would be the clarity of the water in this pond vs a deep well. Probably something to check out with RPS.

Back