Solar water pump won’t start unless jump started

Fettster

Just installed an Eco-worthy solar waterpump. Two 195 watt panels, 24 volt 250 watt pump. Worked as designed for three weeks, ran when getting direct sun, stopped when a cloud covered the sun. Now it won’t start unless I jump start the pump with a 12 volt battery. Once jump started it runs fine. There is no battery or controller in the system because descriptions for the kit said it wasn’t needed. Is there a fix for the no start problem or do I have a bad pump. Eco-worthy doesn’t respond to my emails.

svetz

Works in theory! Practice? That's something else
That the pump runs after being jumped says the pump works.

As motors get more friction they require a higher inrush, could be some sludge/algae inside the pump.
Could also be a wire that's come loose or some corrosion that has slightly lessened the power or even just bad luck with airmass in the morning.
If nothing else, a small battery with a timer or voltage cutoff switch could probably resolve the problem.

Fettster

What I can’t understand is why it won’t start when getting 24 volts from the solar panels, but will start when getting 12 volts from the battery. All connections are clean and tight. I looked at the pump and there doesn’t appear to be any kind of build up on or in the pump I have read that the brushes in the pump may already be bad. Does that make sense?

Roswell Bob

Solar Addict
What I can’t understand is why it won’t start when getting 24 volts from the solar panels, but will start when getting 12 volts from the battery. All connections are clean and tight. I looked at the pump and there doesn’t appear to be any kind of build up on or in the pump I have read that the brushes in the pump may already be bad. Does that make sense?
Are you actually measuring 24v or assuming panel is putting out 24v?

chrisski

Photon Sorcerer
I think the panels no longer provide the high power by themselves needed to start the motor from a dead stop. The 12 volt battery has so much more power behind it than a couple of solar panels. Different voltages can still spin motors, just faster or slower than designed. Probably not good for them.

A couple more panels added to the system may work, but I would not spend my money on that.

svetz

Works in theory! Practice? That's something else
...What I can’t understand is why it won’t start when getting 24 volts from the solar panels...

What turns the pump is power, which is volts x amps. Open circuit voltage on the panel is generally high, but probably under load there aren't enough amps.

Last edited:

Fettster

Sorry for the delay updating, I was waiting for a day without smoke from the fires out west. The solar panels were putting out 43 volts when I checked them today, pump not running. Jumped with a 12 volt battery and off she went, pumping like a champ. So if I have that many volts it must be not enough amps as pointed out by svetz. Now how do I increase amps? Would a LCB like this solve my problem? http://www.upnetech.com/Solar-Pump-Controller

boondox

Chief Engineer, RedNeckTech Industries
Sorry for the delay updating, I was waiting for a day without smoke from the fires out west. The solar panels were putting out 43 volts when I checked them today, pump not running. Jumped with a 12 volt battery and off she went, pumping like a champ. So if I have that many volts it must be not enough amps as pointed out by svetz. Now how do I increase amps? Would a LCB like this solve my problem? http://www.upnetech.com/Solar-Pump-Controller
Do a short circuit test on your panel. Then you will know if it is really putting out what it should.

Rich585

Solar Enthusiast
Also look into possibility of adding a 15uf -50 uF 50 to 100v run start capacitor on the positive side before the solenoid switch. It can help supply some inrush current.

check to see if there already is a capitor installed and either test it or replace it. If you said it used to work and now won’t, it could be a failed motor run capacitor.

they are commonly used to supply the inrush current to start furnace dance, refrigerator compressor and fans etc.