diy solar

diy solar

Solar Well Pump For Pond

StinkerBean

Back in 2002 my dad had a well installed at our ranch. We had no power close by so had to run it on a generator whenever we had a chance to drive out there which wasn't as often as we would have liked. At the same time we had a pond dug out, around a 50x50 size. We were never able to keep water in there 100% of the time due to not going out there as often as we needed. A couple of years ago the pump finally went out.

We are looking at getting it back going but I want to do a simple solar powered set up so that it runs more often and will possibly keep water in the pond throughout the year. This will be on solar only, no batteries so will only run when the sun is out. I was originally looking at RPS but on one of my hunting forums I came across a member on there who has put together his own solar well pump kits for less than $800. Does not include the panels though.

I found the well report that was done back in 2002.

-Water static level 100ft
-Depth to pump 180ft
-Depth of well 300ft

Here is what his kit includes:

2 7/8" diameter 304 stainless steel well pump (requires 3" or larger cased well)
mppt pump controller
stainless steel hose barb adapter
pump rebuild kit with spare drive screw and poly bushings
2 float switches for low well pump safety, and tank full pump shutoff.

pump features brushless motor, permanent magnets and NSK bearings.

3/4" cast stainless steel outlet.

max lift 310 feet! with max output of approximately 8.5 gpm.

requires a minimum of 300 watts, 24-48 volts of solar panels to operate.

So based on you're experience do you guys think this kit will work well enough to keep water in the pond? He states that at around 150ft it should put me around 4-5gpm's. I'd more than likely run three 250W panels. This well will only be used for the pond, will probably add a spigot of some sort to use for washing hands and general stuff. Trying to keep this as a budget set up. Any advice would be much appreciated.

While no direct experience with pumps without batteries - quoted 8.5gpm seems very high for a 1/3hp (assuming such from the 300watts) to produce. Of course this rating might be at 2 feet of head - why you would need to see the pump curve chart to ensure it will meet your expectation.

Most home artesian wells run a 1/3 hp pump @230v and they are looking at right about 5gpm @100-150 ft.

You also did not mention any head from the pump casing to the pond. Going uphill, bends in pipe etc. Things to consider in performance.

If you did 3 250 watt panels that would factor in to about 600 watts for a couple of hours. Base that on the GPM rating for your given head and do a cost analysis on gallons total per day versus cost. Without a storage mechanism you might only have the pump running for 4 hours a day (depending on your location) before some cutoff kicks in.

Do you have a link or contact info on the kit? Sounds like it might be similar to this pump, or maybe a better version.

I helped a friend with the pump linked above. The water was near the surface and it pumped will at/with less than the rated watts. It would pump at a slightly lower volume even with the panels at less than a good angle. The flow rate that you will see will likely be a bell curve based on solar power and depth of the water. Does the water level go down while pumping? That will affect the flow rate.

Yeah the 8.5gpm is pretty much at 2 ft of head. Pump casing to pond is ran under the dirt through poly pipe, it's about 265ft long. If I ran four 250w panels would that help?

Do you have a link or contact info on the kit? Sounds like it might be similar to this pump, or maybe a better version.

I helped a friend with the pump linked above. The water was near the surface and it pumped will at/with less than the rated watts. It would pump at a slightly lower volume even with the panels at less than a good angle. The flow rate that you will see will likely be a bell curve based on solar power and depth of the water. Does the water level go down while pumping? That will affect the flow rate.

This is his site he just got going. Real nice guy I have spoken with a few times.

250' will had a lot of head depending on what size pipe. There are calculators online to tell you. You will need to add this to you pump specs.

Panel sizing would be dependent on the MPTT. Do you have specs on that?

Yeah the 8.5gpm is pretty much at 2 ft of head. Pump casing to pond is ran under the dirt through poly pipe, it's about 265ft long. If I ran four 250w panels would that help?
If you get used panels, maybe more than 4 after reading "750watts or more for deep wells". More panels will give you more pumping hours per day. You can also mount some toward the south east and some toward the southwest to increase your pumping hours.

If you get used panels, maybe more than 4 after reading "750watts or more for deep wells". More panels will give you more pumping hours per day. You can also mount some toward the south east and some toward the southwest to increase your pumping hours.
I can definitely get used panels and purchase more.

You will need more specs on the MPPT controller. Most importantly the amps it can handle before you order too many panels. Is that 24-50VDC Voc ?

More panels the better even more so if you are paying for shipping. If that 50VDC spec is Vmp, then you might want to think about a larger panel if you can pick them up.

Some info I got from him, 24 volts and 50 amps. He said 1000 would be the max watts to use. I'd more than likely run four 250W panels.

Some info I got from him, 24 volts and 50 amps. He said 1000 would be the max watts to use. I'd more than likely run four 250W panels.
50 amps @ 24v doesn't sound right at all. You'll need to some very serious wire if that is correct. As has already been mentioned you need get some exact specs.

Back