diy solar

diy solar

Solar/Wind Combination On Grid

jon.clapham

Looking for advice. I plan to install a 4kw solar system and a 2x 5kw wind turbines initially. More will follow after a successful trial.

My DNO will allow me to feed in 6kw.

I'm struggling to find an inverter which will accept wind and solar input. The wind will output 48v DC from the controller.

Can anyone recommend a 6kw inverter which will do the job?

Alternativelly, I could install 2 inverters. However, the solar wont be working at night and so in order to maximise my feed in I need both inverters to be able to take up the full 6kw combined or alone and I need to ensure the 6kw cap is in place when both are fully operational.

Does anyone have any experience in this field?

I dont know of any products that do what you want.

The only way I can see doing what you want to do is have a wind controller dump the power to a battery (like they normally do) and then have something like a solark pull power off the battery and push it to the grid. As i understand the settings on the solark you can program it to push to grid if battery is over x voltage. The solark will nativily mange grid sell back for the normal solar.

Can anyone recommend a 6kw inverter which will do the job?

Alternativelly, I could install 2 inverters. However, the solar wont be working at night and so in order to maximise my feed in I need both inverters to be able to take up the full 6kw combined or alone and I need to ensure the 6kw cap is in place when both are fully operational.

Does anyone have any experience in this field?
There are no "off the shelf" products that can take both solar and wind inputs. Please tell me more about the 5kW turbines you are installing?

Traditionally, turbines have been passed through the charge controller, not the inverter, so you are pretty much looking at a component system instead of a budget AiO. Look into Midnight's Clipper, designed to work side by side with their Classics.

2x 5 kw is quite the wind turbine. I’m jealous you have the place to install. I am limited by a small house lot, and even if I had more land where I’m at, I am in the middle of a valley where I’d get wind where most weeks there’d be negligible production.

21' dia rotors on "real" towers yes. But if your in wind country its something people do.
Wow..... I've been around small wind since the mid 90's. Heck I've even visited Denmark checking out all sort of wind turbines and have not one single time heard of Aeolos. That doesn't mean anything other than I'm just stunned to have never heard of them.

That link sends me to a picture of a stall regulated active yaw (no tail) wind farm style machine so my sniff detector is going off. The controller and the yaw drive alone would cost well over $100k which is not even in the realm of reasonable for a machine smaller than 750kW.

Have you seen this turbine?

Last edited:
Back