diy solar

diy solar

Solar & Wind Combiner

tipsntricks

Hey guys,

I am currently building a solar system for my off grid property. I have sourced 8, 280ah batteries from Jenn Wu. I also have a 250A 24v bms. Right now I have 4, 255 watt solar panels. I am trying to figure out the best way to have those solar panels and a 600w wind turbine charge the same battery. I do not want to use an wind/solar controller and instead want to keep the two separate.

Does anyone know if I can charge the same battery off of two different controllers. Or will there be back feed from one to the other. What solutions do you recommend?

Thanks

I did not want one controller that does both, I am aware that those exist. I wanted to know if I can use dedicated controllers for each solar/wind to charge the same battery.

My plan (in which I already have all the parts, just haven't installed them yet), is to use my 2x MPP Solar LV6548's PV inputs (which is 2 chargers, 4x PV inputs) for charging the 2x 48v banks, and just add on my Midnite Solar Classic 250 which will be connected to the wind turbine, also connected to those 2x 48v banks. They can both do what they want on the battery banks, keep them charged. It is fine, if voltage is high enough, they all 3 stop charging based on the profile voltages you set them to.

If they both put out DC you can use two current steering diodes to prevent back feeding. How much max current, max voltage you expect from each?

Price out a 60A [If, forward current, spec.] diode/rectifier than can withstand 30v (PIV or PRF, peak reverse voltage) for a 12v system or 100v PIV or PRV for a 48v system or 200v for a 96v system.

It'll be dissipating 60w & it may be as big as a marshmallow & require a heat sink.

Back