diy solar

diy solar

Solar + Wind Grid Tie Inverter setup.

rodv92

I am currently looking for feedback on grid tie inverters that have an embedded charge controller for wind, that would mean these inputs :
3 phase AC input for wind turbine connection.
1 DC input for solar

And these outputs :
Dump load for wind turbine
AC grid tie, single phase output

And of course the battery bank connection (in/out).

As far as I am looking, such a system does not exist.

The only way to wire a hybrid system based on my knowledge would be to wire a separate wind controller to the same battery bank as the one used by the solar inverter, as having parallel charge MPPT/PWM controllers on a battery bank seems usually supported.

The wind would top the battery charge.
Would the GTI be smart enough to use some battery power when there is wind and there is no sun ? (Through a "discharge batteries down to a set level" before stopping power injection into the grid/home ?

If you have some good brands up to 3000 VA that fill the criteria of this kind of battery management and compatible for such an use I am interested,
Or a better setup idea...

I can't offer any technical help to your specific query.

Have you thoroughly explored what you ACTUALLY get with a wind turbine? Micro wind turbines rarely deliver meaningful power especially when their cost is considered.

They may indeed be a good choice for you, but many enter into this with expectations an order of magnitude higher than reality.

Before you think I'm just a negative-Nancy, please know that I personally plan to deploy a micro wind turbine for my off-grid property, but I'll do so knowing that I'll get 80-100W from it averaged throughout the year. And the fantasy of getting wind at night is not true in my case. Even on days with 20-25mph winds, they die down shortly after dusk, and it's rarely above the turbine cut-in speed.

I can't offer any technical help to your specific query.

Have you thoroughly explored what you ACTUALLY get with a wind turbine? Micro wind turbines rarely deliver meaningful power especially when their cost is considered.

They may indeed be a good choice for you, but many enter into this with expectations an order of magnitude higher than reality.

Before you think I'm just a negative-Nancy, please know that I personally plan to deploy a micro wind turbine for my off-grid property, but I'll do so knowing that I'll get 80-100W from it averaged throughout the year. And the fantasy of getting wind at night is not true in my case. Even on days with 20-25mph winds, they die down shortly after dusk, and it's rarely above the turbine cut-in speed.

Well it would be situated into a quite windy area (close to the sea and with a mountain range) We get at least 35 km/h steady winds for 3 hours before dusk and at dawn.
I know very well that wind turbines do not deliver as much "real" power (averaged on a year period) per cost than solar panels.
The main goal is a proof of concept, and since I wish to increase my knowledge / proficiency for managing hybrid systems more as an electrician than a consumer, I would like to add a small wind turbine, even if the averaged year output will be probably 2 to 3 percent of the solar output.

yeah ! I just made some research and grabbed manuals / service manuals of popular grid tie inverters, most units of different brands share the same firmware / control program and the LCD command panel has the same functions.

They are quite a lot of different profiles of power management, and I found one that suits my needs (uses battery when there is no solar input, and allows battery discharge to a certain level.)

The critical part is probably the setup of the charging profile so both controllers work well in tandem (bulk charge voltage, topping voltage, trickle voltage, stop charge voltage etc...)
I assume that the best is to setup them both the same way.

Please keep us updated. And, what model did you select?

Back