diy solar

diy solar

SolarEdge commissioning without net metering meter?

John Schmidt

Hi all! New to the forum. We spent a good part of the covid summer installing a 9.6kW array with 24 panels. 2 strings of 12. I finally have 12 volts at each string coming into the SolarEdge inverter from the SolarEdge optimizers. Looks ready for commissioning. However, the power company has not installed the net metering meter yet. If I throw the 50 Amp dual pole breaker on the main panel to feed the power to the inverter for commissioning, I assume that the inverter will start powering the grid after the optimizer/inverter pairing process is complete (correct??). I don't know. I know with my manual start backup generator, I need to make sure that I don't back feed the grid. The inverter has auto-protection to not feed the grid when the grid is down, but are there any issues with running the inverter without the net metering meter? I'd like to get it ready for the net metering meter, if at all possible. Granted, I'd be generating power and not getting any payback for it, but will it subtract at all from what I am using during the day when it is sunny? I read on one forum that said without a net-metering meter, the old meter would still record the current as it does now, and not subtract from what I generate. Thoughts? Thank-you in advance!

Welcome to the forum.

A few posts on this site have indicated they were actually charged for the power fed back to the grid without a proper meter.

Welcome to the forum.

A few posts on this site have indicated they were actually charged for the power fed back to the grid without a proper meter.
Thank-you. I think that this is how it works: If I am using more than I am producing, the current would just be the difference, and I would get charged for that difference. If I produce more than I use, then I would then get charged for producing. However, I'm pretty sure that it is illegal for me to put power on the grid without approval, so I'll get the paperwork completed so that I can have net metering. I'm just anxious to start generating!

Most of the electric meters measure the current whether going or coming into the grid. When I was commissioning my unit (8 yes ago) it was charging me for the power I was sending to the grid. Don't be paying the company to accept your power.

John, I was looking into the solaredge 7600hd inverter. What solar panels and wattage and what optimizer to match up with did you use?

Many inverters (ones that have value) will have a grid zero function that will not back feed the grid.

Back