diy solar

diy solar

Solarever Panel Problem

tomy2

escape artist
OK, I bought ten Solarever 370W ( SE-166 83-370m-120N ) half cell mono Perc panels two months ago. We installed six on the roof in series, feeding a EG43kw 48V off grid inverter and two EG4 Lifepower4 lithium batteries 48V 100AH.370 solarever panel
These six panels never outputted more than 1.5kw to the inverter. So yesterday I tested two of the four unused ones, in full sun, facing the same direction as the roof, and tilted at about the same angle (18 degrees). We put the positive lead from the multimeter to the panel positive and the negative lead to the negative panel connection. zeroed the meter and tested for dc amps. They only read 5 amps, when they should read 10. We also tested the dc volts and they read 39.4 , what they should be.

Last edited:
Are they brand new?
Full sun?
Angle to the sun?
Time of day?
What temperature outside?
Was it hazy at all (from high humidity or w/e)?

All those things can affect output.

brand new, 1:30 pm, no clouds no humidity, 80 degrees air temp, about 18 degrees tilt facing due south. we tested them with two different multimeters and same results. today it was totally cloudy and the panels read 50% of th usual, that sounds good to me, although I don't have much experience.

Last edited:
Sounds about right to me. I will get the max from my panels at 2pm, and that's just voltage. Even in perfect sun, it has to be just right to get max output.

Oh and angle matters a lot too. I think it's 80 deg angle for summer time in Ca.

no, it is only like 10 degrees in the summer in ca. and around 30 degrees in the winter
ah ok. Well I have the Q.antum panels and they are great. Bit expensive though. I think the solarever might be cheaper?

DMM digital multi meter. Clear skies you should be able to get the panel perpendicular to the sun on both axis with mid day sun and see 90% of amperage capacity. With wires shorted using a DC clamp current meter. Or DMM set to DC AMPS on 10 amp scale. Probably won’t be accurate though meter leads will be a choke point. Most DMM have a 10 amp fuse that you will burn if you reach 10 amps. Open circuit voltage can be checked but don’t have any calculation valve. You can’t check mppt voltage without being connected to the system.
I just checked a 100 watt 36 half cut cell panel yesterday at solar noon.
Nameplate short circuit amps 5.56 amps. I read 5.5 amps.
Nameplate voltage open circuit 21.6. I read 21.6

. With wires shorted using a DC clamp current meter. Or DMM set to DC AMPS on 10 amp scale. Probably won’t be accurate though meter leads will be a choke point
not sure what you mean by "wires shorted". The SS rep says you cannot read amps without a load on the panel..yet I see it done on youtube, but only on small 100W panels. mine are 370W.

not sure what you mean by "wires shorted". The SS rep says you cannot read amps without a load on the panel..yet I see it done on youtube, but only on small 100W panels. mine are 370W.
Higher wattage panels are also higher voltage. Most PV panels are rated under 10 amps. Some are over 10 amps in these days of 450 - 500+ watt panels.

If you have a DC current clamp type meter. Connect the positive from the panel to the negative of the panel aim for best sun, read current. Turn panel away from the sun and disconnect shorted wires.

Look on the back of your panels The data label will show ISC amp rating. That stands for short circuit current. A solar panel will not make enough current to damage itself when shorted out and this value is used in calculating system parameters.

Your new panels are fine. I only ever see full production a few mins maybe during the day. It varies throughout the day. You will not see close to max or max rarely.

Back