diy solar

diy solar

SolArk 15K approved for California

FilterGuy

Solar Engineering Consultant - EG4 and Consumers
I just saw an announcement from SolArk that the SolArk 15K it made it on the California-approved list:

Note: I am in no way affiliated with SolArk

Last edited:
The title should really be "Sol-Ark 15K Approved For California" the 5K, 8K and 12K have been approved for a long time.

Cali must have a robust approval system.

When I applied for my grid tied system in Illinois only components approved by Cali. were allowed.

Reactions: CAD
Cali must have a robust approval system.
Warning: Cynicism follows.

I have no insight to the approval process, but if it is anything like the rest of the CA government, it only takes a few pay-offs of the officials to get what you want.

End of Cynicism.

CA actually has sooooo much solar it is turning into a problem. There are days that the wholesale price of electricity actually goes negative.....
CA is now actively changing policies to encourage (almost force) batteries to be deployed with new solar in order for the users to use their own power late in the day. (It used to be the peak grid demand was mid-day, but with so much solar it has shifted to late afternoon and early evening.)

Given the push for storage, it is no surprise CA is going to approve battery-capable inverters quickly.

In CA, the rates are high so large batteries pay for themselves quickly. I don't see that as a huge problem, just a huge market.

The title should really be "Sol-Ark 15K Approved For California" the 5K, 8K and 12K have been approved for a long time.
I didn’t think the 5 and 8k were approved. Something in their comparison sheet led me to believe that.

In CA, the rates are high so large batteries pay for themselves quickly. I don't see that as a huge problem, just a huge market.

Could you be so kind as to give an indication of the costs for some different size systems you install, including the regulatory costs, taxes, subsidies break even point and how long a system will last? (I can see the benefits for a home brew system, but commercial installations seem to be 3 times the cost)

That's about right. 2X to 3X the cost is the cost of labor, 33%.
After seeing some of engineer775 videos I think 33% of the equipment cost would be a fair deal.
He makes it look simple but dealing with the Trenching and possible broken pipes plus pounding in those ground mounts would be a lot of work without the right equipment. Also pulling through all that cable is not easy.
I also think he does the permit paper work for his customers.

Is there an outdoor battery option suitable for sol-ark? Most batteries I found are indoor use and non-UL, how does people pass local inspector?

I am confused with what is required. Is it UL9540A, or UL1973? Both seem to do the same thing? Does one supersede the other?

The EG4 battery is UL1973 certified, but the Sol-Ark only lists UL9540A batteries, and the SOK has passed UL1973 but is under review for UL9540.

Which one do I need to pass inspection in California is what i'm trying to figure out.

I am confused with what is required. Is it UL9540A, or UL1973? Both seem to do the same thing? Does one supersede the other?

The EG4 battery is UL1973 certified, but the Sol-Ark only lists UL9540A batteries, and the SOK has passed UL1973 but is under review for UL9540.

Which one do I need to pass inspection in California is what i'm trying to figure out.
I had the same question based on Lion Energy system
6310F045-71B1-4ADC-82A0-52350B41C494.jpeg

Reactions: CAD

UL9540A which is the top level certification for paired battery to specific inverter approval

EG4 is not approved for any storage systems in NEC2020 areas, which CA is one, this is SS pushing hardware on those that don't know, what they don't know.

Check here before you make ANY purchase, do not depend on those selling equipment.

Is there an outdoor battery option suitable for sol-ark? Most batteries I found are indoor use and non-UL, how does people pass local inspector?
Fortress batteries are outdoor-rated. The eVault Max is IP55, and if you use their FlexTower to mount their eFlex modules, the package has an IP65 rating. And Fortress batteries are UL9540 certified and CEC approved. And supports closed-loop communication with Sol-Ark inverters (very good functionality to have).

Last edited:
Back