diy solar

diy solar

Solark inverter - flickering lights

Outpost_51

I see there is a mention of a fix for a problem with flickering lights on another brand of inverter.
I'm curious to know if anyone is aware of a similar fix for the Solark.

I have a Solark 5K, ( without an auto-transformer)
The firmware has NOT been updated since purchase in late 2021 ( there's no internet connection - off grid)

I see a slight flicker in all of my LED light bulbs typically when a motor is running in the house.... ie, mini-split, ceiling fan.
(the mini-split is "inverter technology")
I have tried different brands of light bulbs, LED and incandescent. ( and it's not a solution)

Does anyone have the same issue?
Is the auto-transformer a solution for this?
Has anyone seen this problem "fix itself" with a firmware update?
could this be a bonding or grounding issue?
(neutral is bonded in the inverter, this is a single 8ft copper ground)

Thanks in advance,
Mike

I have not seen many 5k posts and certainly none with this issue. Sol-Ark always makes their first public firmware version very conservative in its output power limits.
Once they get about three months of good feedback they release an update that delivers full or even more power than specified.
I know that with the other SA models you can purchase an off grid update dongle designed for people with no internet service. It will contain the latest firmware version.
This is what I would do and see if it fixes the issue.

I see a slight flicker in all of my LED light bulbs typically when a motor is running in the house.... ie, mini-split, ceiling fan.
(the mini-split is "inverter technology")
I have tried different brands of light bulbs, LED and incandescent. ( and it's not a solution)
Even incandescent are flickering, wow. Are you able to capture what your voltage and frequency is doing while this is going on? What does Sol-Ark say?

FWIW: I was full time off grid I'd have a 2nd inverter just for my lighting and internet which you don't have. A Victron Phoenix 250 would likely run every light in your house but they make up to 1200VA should you want to put other things on there.

I have not seen many 5k posts and certainly none with this issue. Sol-Ark always makes their first public firmware version very conservative in its output power limits.
Once they get about three months of good feedback they release an update that delivers full or even more power than specified.
I know that with the other SA models you can purchase an off grid update dongle designed for people with no internet service. It will contain the latest firmware version.
This is what I would do and see if it fixes the issue.
I did contact sol-ark and the dealer I bought it from - they both say the same thing....update the firmware and "see if that helps" but because I'm so far off-grid, and never intended to connect to internet with it anyway.....the "gamble" is the cost of paying extra for the dongle, and getting the update files in email ( when I'm in town). There's a long story about how the system (kit) I bought was "supposed" to be for off-grid and I specifically asked about off-grid updates.....( the dongle should have been included, but was not)
The other thing is , I just had a neighbor move in near me and he is very impressed with my setup - but he will need a much larger system. He's looking at a Sol-ark 15K, 20kw+ of storage, 9.8kw PV.... and he wants to go with the Sol-ark mostly because he likes the way I have it set up and know how to configure everything. Problem is, I'm trying to talk him out of it (and buy something else) because I have not found a solution for the flickering or found someone that can tell me that the problem is solved - most likely by the firmware update.
I would hate to be in a situation where someone paid $20K+ for a system because they liked mine, and find out they are going to be dealing with the same "slight flicker" that I experience. It's very annoying to me because I worked closely with power generation as an engineer on a navy ship decades ago.

A flicker in incandescent bulbs would be a huge red flag. Its highly unlikely that the Sol-Ark 5k is causing it, but its not impossible.

Do you have any dimmers? Are the sockets possible old and worn out? How about wiring/connections from Breaker Panel to light fixture?

Is this flicker constant, and with fast pace? Or more like a flicker on/off every couple minutes?

The firmware update is very likely to fix your issue IMO, that is, if its the Sol-Ark that is at fault.

Even incandescent are flickering, wow. Are you able to capture what your voltage and frequency is doing while this is going on? What does Sol-Ark say?

FWIW: I was full time off grid I'd have a 2nd inverter just for my lighting and internet which you don't have. A Victron Phoenix 250 would likely run every light in your house but they make up to 1200VA should you want to put other things on there.
The Volt and Freq are spot on when that happens.
seems like only when "some" motors are running - and they aren't heavy.
one of the motors is a typical ceiling exhaust fan in the bathroom, another in the main hallway.
the other motor is (there are two) in the mini-split. (outside unit and inside air handler)
And I have a noisy GE ( 1 year old) refrigerator (350w typ. load) that actually doesn't cause the problem.
But the flickering is "just" noticeable.
I am aware of the Voltage and Freq...and they are rock solid.
I'm really hoping someone can say they had the same problem and the fix was either the firmware update or an auto-transformer - because I don't really need either of those ( yet) but I would do that if it were the fix.
A flicker in incandescent bulbs would be a huge red flag. Its highly unlikely that the Sol-Ark 5k is causing it, but its not impossible.

Do you have any dimmers? Are the sockets possible old and worn out? How about wiring/connections from Breaker Panel to light fixture?

Is this flicker constant, and with fast pace? Or more like a flicker on/off every couple minutes?

The firmware update is very likely to fix your issue IMO, that is, if its the Sol-Ark that is at fault.
yes, I'm betting on the firmware update. but haven't had the pleasure of having the cash for the dongle.
The flicker IS constant (looks like 60hz) and (by the way it looks) at first made me think the inverter output is a square sine....but I know that's not true ( it's a pure sine)
There are no dimmers. The house is a modular ( 1 year old) - everything is brand new.
it affects ALL lights in the house, and also the light in the powerhouse that I built entirely.
The thing I didn't mention in my original post ( I forgot) is that my Dell laptops- when almost fully charged, cause a "random" flicker/dimmage to the lights, and I am positive it stops when I unplug the charger.
as a side note: there's no grid here. I have a Generator on the Grid input. and when the Gen is running - the flickering happens very boldly even if there are no motors running on the system. (and) I expect that, however - because I understand that the inverter is basically running in parallel with the Gen. and the Gen does not have an inverter output and is running on a mechanical governor. I was given a solution (on this board) to fix that....but that's not on my hot list because I very rarely need to use the Gen - it's rare to get 3 or more cloudy days here and I only use the Gen long enough to charge the Batteries.

I'm hoping there's nothing wrong with my system. I hate having to get things fixed. I'm hoping someone else maybe had the same or similar issue and had solved it with a firmware update.

I was having flickering issues that didn't make sense, and found an 'invisible' neutral ground bond in my main panel. I rerouted, and the majority of the flickering stopped. ('Invisible' means that there was a random circuit neutral connected to a ground bond rail.)

I was having flickering issues that didn't make sense, and found an 'invisible' neutral ground bond in my main panel. I rerouted, and the majority of the flickering stopped. ('Invisible' means that there was a random circuit neutral connected to a ground bond rail.)
Dang, how did you find that?

I did suspect this as a possibility. When I get a chance to power off, I'll open things up and read it out.
I know the neutral is bonded in the inverter. I'm pretty sure it's the only bond. but I will check everything when I get the chance.

I did suspect this as a possibility. When I get a chance to power off, I'll open things up and read it out.
I know the neutral is bonded in the inverter. I'm pretty sure it's the only bond. but I will check everything when I get the chance.
Did you bond it in the inverter yourself? If it's like the 15k then it's not bonded by default (separate busbars for neutral and ground).

Did you bond it in the inverter yourself? If it's like the 15k then it's not bonded by default (separate busbars for neutral and ground).
I did not. I have not touched the internal bond... mainly because I don't know where it is. the previous firmware update was supposed to take care of that. and that seems to be true so far. I rerouted to make sure the only bond I can see is in the initial box on the utility pole. My ground takes place there because the well pump feeds from there, not the house panel. The house panel has it's ground running back to that pole.

Last edited:
If it's like the 15k then it's not bonded by default (separate busbars for neutral and ground).
In my 12k The NG bond was at the main panel which fed the SolArk. I understand the 15k might be different since it is often installed before the main service panel.

Is it possible you have too thin wires going from the inverter "LOAD" terminal to your fuse panel?
That can create voltage sag during heavy loads and make lights flicker.
I have 16mm cables going from the inverters to my main fuse panel.
My 8Ks (3) do dot have this issue. Sounds like installation issues or external units connected to your loads.

Is it possible you have too thin wires going from the inverter "LOAD" terminal to your fuse panel?
That can create voltage sag during heavy loads and make lights flicker.
I have 16mm cables going from the inverters to my main fuse panel.
My 8Ks (3) do dot have this issue. Sounds like installation issues or external units connected to your loads.
Happens under very light loads as well. It's a small house - so I know what's running at all times. H/W heater is off unless I'm @ solar noon and I turn it on for that period. The flickering happens whenever I have a small motor running - like the bathroom fan, or when the mini-split is running, and when it does ( and it's caught up) it's only drawing @400 Watts. I also notice an erratic flickering that happens whenever my Dell laptop is near full charge ( not like the flickering which seems to be timed to the 60hz sine) - That really annoys me and I end up un-plugging it and waiting until the lights are out for the evening to plug it back in.

I noticed that the lights in my gf's "office" shed flicker a bit when the mini split is on too. It's running on the grid though.

I noticed that the lights in my gf's "office" shed flicker a bit when the mini split is on too. It's running on the grid though.
That's interesting. My mini-splits are "inverter technology" - is there any chance the mini-split you're talking about is also inverter tech?
The pulsating is barely noticeable, definitely at frequency. Few people would notice it and most of them won't care. But I was an engineer in the Navy...I will always notice something that isn't right with the lights. When lights dimmed on my ship, we either lost a generator, or someone made a mistake - either way, I needed to get to the engine room. I'm not sure I can relax under anything but a solid light. LOL

It's not weird that when a generator is connected to the GRID input on the Sol-ark that you would see pulsating lights if the Generator has a mechanical governor and the Frequency is off. But when connected to the grid...you should have a rock solid Freq.

What about the Inverter....is it a Sol-ark and do you have the latest firmware update?
I'm starting to believe if I add in an auto-transformer in the main box it would solve the problem, but that's a $700 experiment ( and they consume a little extra power).

(For everyone that is reading this post:)
I realize this far into the thread (not just this reply) that I should have been describing this as "pulsating" rather than "flickering", where pulsating is in time with the Frequency and flickering has no apparent timing. What my lights are doing is pulsating when the mini-split is running, and flickering when my dell laptop charger is plugged in and topping off the battery on my laptop(s). Some other battery chargers appear to cause a flickering too.

Could you run your generator straight to your service panel and bypass the SolArk all together? That would cost you nothing but time and could verify the premises wiring is not at fault.

Could you run your generator straight to your service panel and bypass the SolArk all together? That would cost you nothing but time and could verify the premises wiring is not at fault.
The house is a new manufactured home. All the wiring is correct and certified.
I'm a freak about "clean, tight" connections.... everything has been checked....and double-checked.
The N-bond is at the Sol-ark (in the powerhouse) as this (the Sol-Ark) is the "first" cutoff of power to the house
The Sol-Ark is grounded at the power house, and that ground is fed to the house panel (which is @20 feet from the power house).

The generator is a 3500W Predator with a mechanical governor. ( used ONLY on Grid input....and very rarely)
I did not want, and did not install a transfer switch to allow the use of a Gen to power the house ( bypassing the Sol-ark).
Prior to installing the Sol-Ark, we were running the Generator directly to the house panel ( 200 amp service panel) and there were no issues.
We definitely see the lights pulsate (in time with freq) when on generator and Sol-ark is online, and this happens without any other loads on the system. The Sol-ark parallels with the Gen and assumes the Gen's Freq. (so that pulsation makes sense..... it's a cheap Generator)
But the Generator is not the issue, and the problem occurs when the generator is not online.

I saw a posting elsewhere about changing the LED lamps to NON-dimmable - so I will look into that.
I WILL think it's weird that changing to non-dim bulbs may fix this.
I'm still thinking it could be a firmware issue - mine won't update because we're off-grid.
or an auto-transformer "might" fix it, but that's a $700+ chance to take, and not really in the budget.
I might add another ground rod at the powerhouse - maybe after I try the bulbs and way before I try an auto-transformer though.

Back