diy solar

diy solar

Solarpowerstore.ca aka The Solar Power Store in Canada - any experience with their solar power kits?

After three years of hiking in a car battery for lights at my offgrid, I plan to install solar this summer. Anyone have experience with the Solar Power store and their kits? Their directions are basic (could be more detailed IMO). The kit I think looks good includes a SRNE 5Kw 48V inverter charger, one 48v 100ah SOK battery and six 349 CS1H solar panels. Would appreciate hearing any experiences with this company.

After three years of hiking in a car battery for lights at my offgrid, I plan to install solar this summer. Anyone have experience with the Solar Power store and their kits? Their directions are basic (could be more detailed IMO). The kit I think looks good includes a SRNE 5Kw 48V inverter charger, one 48v 100ah SOK battery and six 349 CS1H solar panels. Would appreciate hearing any experiences with this company.
If the price is right what is the issue you are concerned about? Unless you buy from a known source it’s a crapshoot on warranty- buy with a credit card.

I bought a single Canadian Solar panel from them a year ago to expand my trailer capacity, it arrived to Calgary in about a week. I know it's not a kit but I can vouch they are at least a real company. I'd buy from them again. Sourcing real panels in Calgary for DIY projects is a nightmare so I was surprised when they shipped me a 340W panel and they only changed me about $25 to ship it.

IF your usage is low enough that you can run on a Car Battery then I have to ask why are you spending on a 48V System because you are chucking a LOT of money on top of what you really actually need. Unless you have a suitcase full of cash to toss around. Don't count on any credits in Quebec either as this is an offgrid cottage and I doubt qualifies for anything.

12V Battery System with Inverter/Charger can handle a max of 3000W (pulling max 250A from 12V) with surges up to 4000W
24V system can do double that, up to 6000W (pulling a max of 250A)
48V and above for anything 5000W or greater or if Split Phase 240V.

Case in Point, I LIVE full time Offgrid, near Algonquin Park, 100% Solar with 24V Battery Bank, a Lof Frequency Samlex EVO-4024 Inverter Charger that can even handle my 3HP Compressor & even my 120V Mig Welder without a blink.

ADVANCED PLANNING:
While AIO's may appear quite attractive they are not entirely suitable to a Part Time applications. When you are NOT in residence, you still want to have the Solar Charge Controller to operate in order to maintain the battery system BUT you do not want the overhead of the Inverter. AIO's tend to have a higher IDLE Consumption rate and some models are downright pigs ! Of course the higher the quality/tier the more efficient they get... For example a low cost import model maybe 88% Efficient which a high quality tier-1 product can be up to 97% efficient and it all adds up.

For Part-Time applications, a Component System is often far more suitable because you can shut everything down except the solar charger while away. This would require a bit more work to install separate components but the savings, in the end, takes the edge off that. Additionally, if at a later date, you want to upgrade to something bigger you have a lot more flexibility as most respectable quality products can be stacked up which includes SCC's and Inverters as well.

Hope it helps, Good Luck.

Their directions are basic (could be more detailed IMO)
Their direction are basic, but they sell stuffs available elsewhere, so it's easy to find many details about the products you would like to buy as a kit.
This kit seem good to me and I like the 500Vdc input of the SRNE, but the comment of Steve about the inverter who drain your battery during the week because you are not there and there is clouds/snow who stop the production is relevant.
I bet you are not interested to arrive at your place at night and observe that your 5kWh battery is depleted.
The solution could be as easy like turning off everything before leaving, but you will only produce energy when you turn on everything (if the battery is not freeze!!!).

Anyone have experience with the Solar Power store and their kits? Their directions are basic (could be more detailed IMO).
I have no experience with this company. I do however have some Montreal Contacts which may be of interest and I have a vendor in Kemptville Ontario who I can Very Highly recommend as well.

Excellent Ontario Vendor, ships across Canada: https://solacity.com/
Two Montreal Vendors who are very good:
- Good "Value" grade gear / marine focussed but ok: http://www.energie-abordable.com/Ensemble_pour_chalet.htm
- Good "Value" + Vendor: Have kits and some are eligible for credits: https://solarenergydc.com/

I have no experience with this company. I do however have some Montreal Contacts which may be of interest and I have a vendor in Kemptville Ontario who I can Very Highly recommend as well.

Excellent Ontario Vendor, ships across Canada: https://solacity.com/
Two Montreal Vendors who are very good:
- Good "Value" grade gear / marine focussed but ok: http://www.energie-abordable.com/Ensemble_pour_chalet.htm
- Good "Value" + Vendor: Have kits and some are eligible for credits: https://solarenergydc.com/
Thanks for sharing!

I just bought 3 of their server rack batteries.
Product looks good, but so far their technical support in assisting getting these to talk to Victron products has been dead silence on their part
Which batteries? Were you able to get things running? Did the support come through?

Which batteries? Were you able to get things running? Did the support come through?
The 24V 200Ah 5.1KWh rack mount store brand

Finally got a reply last week with the BMS software password - they said they had tried to reply without success, for what that's worth.

The batteries are running just fine! They tested out to capacity (took them down to 10% only), and the balancer turns on and does work.

I'm back to the cottage next week and with the password can change the CANbus protocol and see if I can get it to talk to my RPi3.

Hi @DaveF

Any success to make working the SolarPowerStore server rack 24V battery with Venus OS running on your RPi3?

I am an owner of a CerboGx and I have very interested by what you are trying to do.

If you succeed, can you post some pictures?

Thanks and good luck!

-François

They finally supplied the password for the PC based BMS software to allow changing the Canbus protocol, but the Canbus to USB converter cable I’m using apparently isn’t compatible, so I’m awaiting a CanHat (used by Off-grid garage) to try again.

Hi @DaveF

Any success to make working the SolarPowerStore server rack 24V battery with Venus OS running on your RPi3?

I am an owner of a CerboGx and I have very interested by what you are trying to do.

If you succeed, can you post some pictures?

Thanks and good luck!

-François

Here’s fuzzy pics part way through the install.
The mess is mostly communication cables as I’m also trying to get my Morningstar charge controllers to talk via ModbusTCP to node-red on the Rpi

Attachments

• IMG_0204.jpeg
    IMG_0204.jpeg
    277 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0201.jpeg
    IMG_0201.jpeg
    273.3 KB · Views: 15
@DaveF

Thanks for the update.

So, if I understand correctly

1) By default, the CAN bus message are disabled in the unit
2) Using a specific CAN/USB adapter with their PC Software BMS software, you can theorically enable that.
3) Is SolarPowerStore provide you any other information other than the UserManual? Where you get that information?

Thanks

-François

@DaveF

Thanks for the update.

So, if I understand correctly

1) By default, the CAN bus message are disabled in the unit
2) Using a specific CAN/USB adapter with their PC Software BMS software, you can theorically enable that.
3) Is SolarPowerStore provide you any other information other than the UserManual? Where you get that information?

Thanks

-François
1: Yes, both the RS485 and Canbus protocols are set to none by default.
2: The BMS software uses the RS232 port and needs a different cable to plug into a PC running the monitoring/config software. This one worked.
3: Not yet. They provided a manual (which had the formatting errors of the online version corrected). I found out that the canbus/USB adaptor I bought doesn't work (from the Victron forums) so I'm waiting for a CanHat to arrive.

Due to a recent experience with this company I would not recommend. Message for details.

Stay away from dansevsolar as well. I agree with earlier comments; buy from a reputable source. We got ghosted after the sale.

Last edited:
@DaveF Did you receive your canHat and finally have time to play with the SolarPowerStore server rack 24V battery?

I purchased 4x 100ah 24v batteries and one arrived without the led capacity lights working. I haven't found the service to be bad but not great either. After sending the battery back they say it works fine (other than the led's) but they do not have parts or replacement batteries. So I was offered a credit on upgrade to 200ah model or a 100 credit and return of the battery to me without the lights working. I will likely take the return to me option as I have 3 more and really want the 4-battery capacity to run my AC when camping. I might try and open it up to see if I can see what BMS it is using and then order a replacement.

Back