diy solar

diy solar

Solis AC 5G / Sofar ME3000SP

Hi,

I'm thinking of building a battery based storage system that I can expand the batteries on in future to build up to perhaps 15-20kwh of storage, but initially starting with says 2.5kwh of storage, to keep initial costs down.

Does anyone know if either of two inverters I've listed in the title support de-rating, or setting a current supply limit?

I've been reading the manuals, I see you can adjust the charge current down on Both models to support a smaller battery, but do they have anyway to limit the current draw on a single battery to say no more than 25a, so limiting themselves to say 1-1.25kw peak on a 48v battery, with the grid picking up the slack if required?

Maybe I'm missing something in the manuals I've found so far online.

Thanks,

Andy.

BUT... 2.5kWh seems very small - how much do you save using 50Ah cells rather than say 100Ah when other overheads are largely fixed (e.g housing, BMS, cabling etc.)?

Hi, thanks for the reply, still looking into it TBH, was hoping I could build something for around £2k all in, so £700 for inverter £1k for battery & £300 for cables, isolators, plus an hour of a sparkies time to commission it, do the Part-P bit for connection to fuse panel.

I would do the bulk of the install work (hang the inverter where I want it), do cable run's, install AC isolator, and probably just connect up a double RCD socket to the backup load outputs for emergency power.

Getting a 5kwh battery for £1k doesn't seem doable in the UK, unless I DIY that battery, even then I think I will struggle to get a system with 5kwh storage all in for £2k...

Hence the thought to go for a 2.5kwh system to start with and limit the output current so it only provides around 1kw max, this would cover my house base load of 300w for 8-10hrs off the battery...

BTW I was thinking of Buying a Pre-Made 2.5kwh battery, or a 3.6kwh rather than DIY the battery, but I guess I could do a battery DIY, and order some cells from Jenny Wu @ Docan....

Ah OK - read "building" as DIY battery, my mistake. Guess you're looking at Pylontech then and expand later.

Prob not cost effective that small for the fixed overheads - but could do 14.3kWh for about £3k.

Is that £2k for a DIY battery using 280ah cells+BMS+LV cabling?

Then leaving £1k for the inverter and HV cabling / isolators, or would it be a £3k just for Battery?

Back