diy solar

diy solar

Solis Hybrid Inverter Charge from other PV production

I’ve always had my Inverter set to charge from Grid since I installed it a month ago as I charge on E7 at night so at least I now know never to turn that off, even if you had to turn export down to 200w it would probably be ok but I can’t see 1000w doing any harm even if your restricted to zero export by Dno. I’m restricted to 2500w on the Solis and 4000w on my FIT inverter and now it seems to be working correctly when we do get sun I don’t want to touch anything now.

Settings on this inverter are quite a mess, with important settings that influence each other sprinkled all over the menus in different places. Therefore here are my settings, in case someone else has the same problem:

Storage mode/Self Use: ON
Self use/Charging from grid for self use: Allow
Time of use: all 00:00, Optimal income: Run, Charge limit 100, Discharge limit 50
Storage mode/Backup: OFF (but deeper in that menu the backup port is "on" so it is powered even though the menu is "off" XD)
Backflow power: +2000W (with export ON)

Previously it freaked out and shut down when the house exported more power than the backflow power setting, which was set to zero. So I wonder if it would still shut down if the Fronius decided to export more than 2kW. I guess I'll have to test it...

Another update. I installed an extra 1.6kw PV on garage roof and fed into input 1 of the Hybrid inverter. No change, the hybrid inverter wouldn't detect the export from house PV and start charging the batteries.

Finally managed to redirect the house PV to the garage hybrid on input 2 and doubled storage to 21kwh. All is working as expected. Inverter in house is now redundant.

Plenty sun last couple of days and we have managed to run pretty much 100% without importing from grid. ?

Thanks for the help everyone.

Hi guys when setting up the solis inverter to charge from the grid plus existing pv system you need to use two meter for this to work one ct on the mains grid supply and one ct the existing live supply that feed the grid tide inverter. I have used this using LoRa as both inverter are in different location. When you open up the menu in the solis inverter find grid + pv charging then save, go back to information menu you will find grid meter and pv meter. The pv meter will show no values because it is not connected, you will need to add the second meter but you will need to ID this meter to number 2 as the grid meter is ID number 1 just make sure that the CT is placed at the live feed of the grid inverter, and it will work,

Hi guys when setting up the solis inverter to charge from the grid plus existing pv system you need to use two meter for this to work one ct on the mains grid supply and one ct the existing live supply that feed the grid tide inverter. I have used this using LoRa as both inverter are in different location. When you open up the menu in the solis inverter find grid + pv charging then save, go back to information menu you will find grid meter and pv meter. The pv meter will show no values because it is not connected, you will need to add the second meter but you will need to ID this meter to number 2 as the grid meter is ID number 1 just make sure that the CT is placed at the live feed of the grid inverter, and it will work,
Thanks - that is useful to know, as the documentation is not that clear where it says...

5.6.6.3.2 Meter Placement
Grid: Meter is installed at the grid connection point.
Load: Meter is installed at the load branch circuit.
Grid+PV Inverter: One meter is connected at the grid connection point, the other meter is
connected at the AC output port of an extra PV inverter. (Eastron Meter supported).

Can you confirm:-
a) where it says "Eastron Meter supported" does that mean you have to use an Easton meter for the existing PV inverter, or it is optional to use that instead of an Acrel meter?
b) whether you connect both meters in parallel to the same RS485 bus and just give them different slave addresses?

It best to you use the same meter and address them ID 1 being the grid and ID 2 as the pv inverter I use the computer link to change the meter ID it work for Fox Giv Energy Goodwe Solis

It best to you use the same meter and address them ID 1 being the grid and ID 2 as the pv inverter I use the computer link to change the meter ID it work for Fox Giv Energy Goodwe Solis
Thank you very much for posting this, extremely helpful.

Back