diy solar

diy solar

Solis Inverter (00F5 possibly) question

gordonmarkus

Hi,
Thanks for letting me join. Apologies if this is a daft newbie question but I've not been successful in finding out what I need to know from any other source hence joining this forum. A couple of months ago I had a brand new system installed of 10x455w panels, a Solis OOF5 (according to the web GUI) inverter, and a couple of Fox ESS 5200 batteries installed. Everything seems to be running great, and I've got it all hooked up into Home Assistant so I can monitor what's being generated, how much battery I have remaining/charging etc and that's all really cool. I have a friend at work that's pointed me in the right direction for getting all that done, but it's all running as I'd expect.
Next week I'm changing grid provider from EDF (who I never wanted to be with, but they took over when my previous provider went bust) to Octopus so that I can get on their 'agile' tariff. I can't for the life of me figure out how to control the inverter though, so that I can setup home assistant to control it so that it charges when the battery is below a certain threshold (say 20%) and when grid power is cheaper (say below 25p a unit). All of the integrations that I have in Home Assistant seem to be read only rather than entities/devices that actually control the behaviour of the inverter. The invert has the RS485/Wifi adaptor on it, so I can browse to it from my local network and see basic info, but there doesn't seem to be anyway of actually controlling what it does.
Has anyone else successfully got this inverter integrated with Homes Assistant/Octopus Agile?

Thanks in advance for any help or comments, and again apologies if this has been asked a million times before.

-Gordon

Hi,
Thanks for letting me join. Apologies if this is a daft newbie question but I've not been successful in finding out what I need to know from any other source hence joining this forum. A couple of months ago I had a brand new system installed of 10x455w panels, a Solis OOF5 (according to the web GUI) inverter, and a couple of Fox ESS 5200 batteries installed. Everything seems to be running great, and I've got it all hooked up into Home Assistant so I can monitor what's being generated, how much battery I have remaining/charging etc and that's all really cool. I have a friend at work that's pointed me in the right direction for getting all that done, but it's all running as I'd expect.
Next week I'm changing grid provider from EDF (who I never wanted to be with, but they took over when my previous provider went bust) to Octopus so that I can get on their 'agile' tariff. I can't for the life of me figure out how to control the inverter though, so that I can setup home assistant to control it so that it charges when the battery is below a certain threshold (say 20%) and when grid power is cheaper (say below 25p a unit). All of the integrations that I have in Home Assistant seem to be read only rather than entities/devices that actually control the behaviour of the inverter. The invert has the RS485/Wifi adaptor on it, so I can browse to it from my local network and see basic info, but there doesn't seem to be anyway of actually controlling what it does.
Has anyone else successfully got this inverter integrated with Homes Assistant/Octopus Agile?

Thanks in advance for any help or comments, and again apologies if this has been asked a million times before.

-Gordon
Hi Gordon,

I just joined this forum and came across your question. I have just (couple of days ago) posted a similar question, since I want to get a Raspberry Pi (or similar) to request my Solis inverter to charge or discharge the battery … but not found anyone on various forums who knows if this can be done.

My plan was to write some code on a Raspberry Pi to get the daily Octopus Agile rates via their public API and then put the inverter into battery charging or discharging in appropriate half hour slots in order to maximise financial gain.

I’d be very interested if you ever found a way to control the inverter in way you wanted, since this would be very useful for me.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,

I'd totally forgotten I ever joined this forum or put up this post! Good news though, I have managed to get this working and I've made a couple of youtube videos on how to do it. Take a look here:

Thanks,

-Gordon

Back