diy solar

diy solar

Solis RHI 5kw + Pylontech US500 not stopping discharge at defined SOC

Wouldn’t it be better if the battery firmware BMS would simply set the max discharge to 0A when there is 20% or less remaining?
At the moment I only get that effect if I set SOC to 10%, seems the BMS value my battery sets to max discharge?

That is the only way I’ve managed to get the standby mode to work as it should, but not good for longevity

0.65A at around 48V would be about 30W, which IIRC is about the power the Solis uses (assuming no PV input) to keep it running - that sounds about right to me. I would also assume that the Solis info screen would only show battery power being inverted and not just the DC consumption to keep it running.

You could set the re-charge SOC to say 10% to avoid the on-off charge/discharge.
But that not hoot for battery longevity , right?

Why doesn’t the Solis respect the 20% specified instead? Firmware issues here .

You can add me to those experiencing this issue. I have recently installed a Solis S5 EH1P and even though my OverDischg SOC is set at 20% the inverter regularly discharges to nearly 10%. Makes me wonder where I should raise the ForceCharge SOC to higher than 10% since this seems to be the setting that influences the inverter's behaviour.

So strange... our Solis just works as it should - stops discharge at the over discharge setting and forces charge at the force charge setting ?‍♀️

Just a thought, though... there's also a 'discharge depth' setting - which to me seems redundant as you have to specify the max and min SOC settings anyway, so why have to set the % depth as well? Hence, just wondering if the depth value has been set to a value that matches the ones you have specified? If not, maybe one value overrides the other?... e.g. if you set over charge to 100% and over discharge to 20%, but have the discharge depth set to 90%, what does the Solis do then?

Last edited:
So strange... our Solis just works as it should - stops discharge at the over discharge setting and forces charge at the force charge setting ?‍♀️

Just a thought, though... there's also a 'discharge depth' setting - which to me seems redundant as you have to specify the max and min SOC settings anyway, so why have to set the % depth as well? Hence, just wondering if the depth value has been set to a value that matches the ones you have specified? If not, maybe one value overrides the other?... e.g. if you set over charge to 100% and over discharge to 20%, but have the discharge depth set to 90%, what does the Solis do then?
Where is that DOD setting? Haven’t seen that. Is not mentioned in the manual.

My S5-EH1P … haven’t seen that anywhere.
Just SOC and force charge.

And SOC gets ignored. Trickles down from that value at a 62W constant rate until reaches the force charge and then charges up but not always stops there to put the battery at rest.
Something is odd.

Last edited:
mine does exactly the same RHI 6kW, the odd thing is i went from the 3kW unit which didn't do this to the 6 which does, even when fully charged and plenty of PV it always draws 1Amp / 120ish watts from the battery. I have been told its a firmware issue.

Right now my battery is at 20% and losing 62w feeding nothing. Will do until 17%, then charge up to 21% and battery will hopefully go to sleep. Solis must fix this !!!

If it helps anyone out there:
S5 EH1P 6K L
2 x Dyness A48100 , total 9.6Kw
Firmware updated by Solis : A10037 (original 3D0037)

The wattage figure mismatch seem to be fixed all over. I can now see 24W, 19W or 14W, 9W the same as what my Dyness battery app tells me (was 62W before displayed on Solis). Seems this firmware has fixed that incorrect figure display.

However, behaviour is not what I would want, same as 3D version.

Now:
SOC 20%
Force Charge 18% - 300W charge rate
Self use on
Battery Reserve off

Battery normal use going down to 20%, then it does stop using battery power for the house consumption.
When there is no Solar, inverter using constantly from the battery 9W to 24W feed the inverter with its DC.
My preferred way is that the inverter completely stops using the battery (so why is that SOC setting for!!!) and feeds from grid AC setting up battery in standby 0A consumption.

Now, once it goes under the FC setting 18%, it does charge the battery from grid up to the SOC 20% and keeps draining 9W to 24W from battery. On top of that, with this new firmware the battery will also drain that amount when there is solar power coming and the house is consuming more than that.

Today, when battery was at 18% and tricking down, I’ve enabled also the Battery Reserve mode to 21%, then inverter started charging the battery up to 22% and then the battery was put in stand by (which is what I want) and zero consumption from battery, 0W grey displayed on Solis app.

I think the key here is that those percentage detections are not exact from what the inverter is doing so there might be some points down more that the exact number you setup.
In this post it was mentioned battery reserve at 30% but didn’t kick battery recharge until it was 27%, then to 31% and standby. That’s the key I believe.

Added: same problem. I got the battery up from 18% to 22% as of Backup mode triggered and it doesn't charge.
Had to turn backup mode off and on.

Made a couple changes. Will it work ok tomorrow?, I hope so.
Driving me crazy.

I don’t mind battery going down once from 20 to 17% at a 9W to 24W rate from battery (would consume the same from grid) but after it recharges it to 20% as per SOC the inverter should put battery on standby to alleviate unnecessary stress on it.
Will post as I get more tests done, hope it helps out there.

Last edited:
Where is that DOD setting? Haven’t seen that. Is not mentioned in the manual.
It is under the user-defined config settings - like here

Seems this firmware has fixed that incorrect figure display.
that's better.

My preferred way is that the inverter completely stops using the battery (so why is that SOC setting for!!!) and feeds from grid AC setting up battery in standby 0A consumption.
My understanding is that the Solis Inverter (and in fact many inverters) are powered only by DC input - so just PV or Battery. I don't think they have any AC-derived PSU. Guess that is so they can operate in off-grid / power-outtage situations.

How do you get to that menu? I haven’t seen it. Can you change the values? Thanks

that's better.

My understanding is that the Solis Inverter (and in fact many inverters) are powered only by DC input - so just PV or Battery. I don't think they have any AC-derived PSU. Guess that is so they can operate in off-grid / power-outtage situations.

No as I can see because if you have no battery or is disabled or standby how does it get powered?
These inverters would use DC or convert from AC when not available from battery.

It's under battery type "user-defined"

My Solis Hybrid shut down overnight before we got batteries - then powered up when there was sufficient light to raise the voltage of the PV panels.

It's under battery type "user-defined"

My Solis Hybrid shut down overnight before we got batteries - then powered up when there was sufficient light to raise the voltage of the PV panels.
Thanks. Found it.
Before playing in there ;) as I don’t know if 100% safe for my battery type, I have Dyness and I select that, cannot specify custom DOD when I pick Dyness, only SOC and Forcecharge.
I’ll try a couple things first with backup mode percentages. I did manage in the past to get the battery to go to sleep mode (after one recharge) and then charge fine the next morning. If I manage that I will paste exact configs here so others can confirm.

Can you confirm that your battery was always going to sleep when 80% DOD reached (20% left) and then charging ok next day? Not sure if you specified here your exact Solis model and firmware… thank you. Any piece of info might help everyone here

Last edited:
This should help solve the issue when the battery does not charge the next day:

Might not be ideal but is working.
I select Dyness as my battery as is what I have, you should select your brand Pylon or whatever.

Then:
SOC 20%
Force Charge 20% - I selected 300W charge rate as the minimum I can select, 5000W is the default.
Self use ON - make sure all are zeroes on the dates to charge/discharge and you have "Stop" selected , not "Run"
Battery Reserve ON => 21% (also make sure you allow charge from grid to Battery)

This is what happens:
Battery goes down normal consumption until it reaches 20%.

At this point the inverter should stand by the battery and power from AC, but this is not the case with the solis, hence the "issue".

Instead, the inverter will power itself from Battery DC from 20% to 19% at a rate of 19W (5W up or down), when it touches 18% (this is 3% less than the Battery Reserve setting of 21%, as someone mentioned) the battery will be charged at max amps (5000W) up to your setting of Battery Reserve pct +1 extra pct, this is 21%+1% => 22%... and then... what we all want, the battery to go to Standby with 0W consumption from battery (inverter to use AC grid if it needs power):

standby.png

It took ~9 hours to go from 20 to 18% (I have a 9.6 Kw battery system) consuming those 19W from DC, should be less if you have less capacity.

The trick to get the battery to charge the next morning is to setup Backup Supply to "Disable" in Control Parameter menu.
You can see below, battery is charging. I didn't have to do anything with the inverter this morning.

control.jpg

When Backup Supply was set to "Enable" the issue, as some have mentioned here, is that the Battery does NOT charge the next day.

Tonight I will test something else that might work too and have the battery a bit better charge throughout the winter:
SOC 38% & Force Charge 38% - I selected 300W charge rate as the minimum I can select, 5000W is the default.
Self use ON (if this is not ON then battery doesn't get used under the battery percentage set)
Battery Reserve ON => 39% (also make sure you allow charge from grid to Battery)

Edit: [CONFIRMED IT DOES WORK AS EXPECTED]

What I expect to happen is:
Battery will go down normal consumption until it hits 39%.
Then it will trickle the 19W off the battery from 39% until it reaches 36%, it should then charge up to 40% and go to standby.
Next morning it should charge normal when sun hits panels.

I'll post here how it goes. if anyone is doing alternative tests and / or confirm the theory it would also help!

Next tests could include to use the Custom Self Define parameters as @SeaGal mentioned in the earlier post #29
to try to get the inverter to just put the battery to standby when it reaches a certain percentage the first time it happens, and avoid to have to set all this up to force the battery to be recharged once to get the standby activation and the 19W consumption from DC instead AC.
Battery doesn't need this extra stress and usage, would increase its life & performance.
Also, the "recharge" at 5000W does also come from AC to battery DC and it consumes extra energy to do that, not sure why Solis is forcing this behaviour.

PS: if you don't have the A10037 firmware, this should also work, but you would see incorrect W in the DC usage of battery.
I used to see 62/63W before, however my Dyness app was telling me 19W which does match now the inverter figures.

Last edited:
Good detective work - looks like the setting backup supply to disable helped.

We have the RHI 3.6 Hybrid - not sure of software revision though. Over discharge SOC is set to 15%, Force charge set to 10%.

The battery will discharge to 15% at which point the inverter stops supplying house load. From then on (until daylight), the inverter is powered from the battery (as I said above this has to be from DC), dropping about 1% in 5 hours.

This time of year I force a charge using economy 7 night rate, but that is done over the CANBus, not from the inverter settings itself.

Good detective work - looks like the setting backup supply to disable helped.

We have the RHI 3.6 Hybrid - not sure of software revision though. Over discharge SOC is set to 15%, Force charge set to 10%.

The battery will discharge to 15% at which point the inverter stops supplying house load. From then on (until daylight), the inverter is powered from the battery (as I said above this has to be from DC), dropping about 1% in 5 hours.

If you do the Battery setup as mentioned, then you can get the battery on standby.

This time of year I force a charge using economy 7 night rate, but that is done over the CANBus, not from the inverter settings itself.

Do you have the custom settings setup for your battery? if so, what is the DOD you have? 80%?
Doesn't it go to standby on its own at 80% if that is setup?

I have charge set to 100%, over discharge set to 15% and DoD set to 85%. It didn't makes sense to me to have all those 3 values, as they could be set to be inconsistent with each other.

I don't want the Solis to turn off at night, as I need to do a force charge at this time of year.

I have charge set to 100%, over discharge set to 15% and DoD set to 85%. It didn't makes sense to me to have all those 3 values, as they could be set to be inconsistent with each other.

I don't want the Solis to turn off at night, as I need to do a force charge at this time of year.
Solis wouldn’t turn off, just battery would go to standby and icon to grey at a lower DOD (i.e. if you setup DOD 80%, battery should stop discharging at all with 20% remaining battery and standby … next morning it should charge.

Have you tested something like that with your custom battery config ?

That’s next test I believe !

Mine stops providing power for the house load when it gets to the 15% / 85% DoD that I specified, as expected

Mine stops providing power for the house load when it gets to the 15% / 85% DoD that I specified, as expected
But, do you manage to see it on standby (grey icon 0W for battery at 15% remaining battery) or does it trickle down some Wats with the battery icon in purple until it reaches forcecharge and same again?
That’s the key I think. If your settings don’t get the battery to standby I think my recommended settings up there are the best to be managed IMO

On the DC charge... the inverter does indeed use DC for its own consumption however, if the battery is in standby or off or not available the inverter will do convert AC to DC and then consume it after. Doesn't necessarily need to come up from the battery.

See as my test yesterday:

First is when it reached 39% down overnight. It stopped providing to the house, but inverter preferring DC from battery to feed itself:
overnight.jpg

overnight1.jpg

Once the battery reached 36% after ~10 hours at 19W-24W DC consumption from inverter, it did recharge the battery as per the Battery Reserve ON setting and put the battery on standby, then the inverter did start using AC -> DC to feed itself.
This morning is charging already ok, didn't have to touch anything on the inverter. This is because the Control Parameter -> Backup Supply is set to "Disabled". If it were enabled, the buggy firmware wouldn't charge the battery.

afterrecharge.jpg

overnight2.jpg

What I'd like to achieve is a method where the inverter to set the battery to Standby once it reaches a percentage down the first time is discharging to the house, without having to be in this interim DC-feed mode only from battery to inverter and then recharge the battery once per night and all of this fiddling around.

So far what I have listed above is the closest I've managed.

Last edited:
Back