diy solar

diy solar

Solomon islands remote off grid small solar system 12v AC system Help..

simon55

Hi everyone, I have installed renogy 800watts of solar panels and a renogy 60ah mppt and they are currently charging x1 renogy lithium battery 170ah already installed., I have a 2nd renogy lithium battery 170ah about to be installed and a Victron Phoenix 12volt 2000va inverter about to be installed for the system to run.
What other basic components will I need exactly? Switchboard, Circuit breakers ECT? Small details?

This is all being installed in a small remote village home, In the Solomon Islands, so that they can run a small 150ltr chest freezer a few fans and a few lights, charge phones, charge lithium power tool batteries.

(I have added photos of what's already installed below)

I only know the basics about solar setup and electrical so please keep it simple,e and clear and all help is much appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1635385101160.jpg
    FB_IMG_1635385101160.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 27
  • FB_IMG_1635385111009.jpg
    FB_IMG_1635385111009.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 27
  • FB_IMG_1635385122440.jpg
    FB_IMG_1635385122440.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 27
  • FB_IMG_1635385131631.jpg
    FB_IMG_1635385131631.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 26
  • FB_IMG_1635385140405.jpg
    FB_IMG_1635385140405.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 26
Can anyone recommend what parts I need to install to safely run the Victron 2000va 12v inverter using a x2 170ah renogy lithium batterys?

Class T fuses between both the battery and SCC as well as battery and inverter. Breakers work, but f*ck DC breakers, and go with a fuse. The only DC circuit breakers I trust are made by Eaton / Bussman, but those are expensive, and I trust fuses more.

I would add a main battery disconnect switch as well. A breaker would serve a dual purpose as a switch and a fuse, but generally speaking circuit breakers aren't meant to be used regularly as switches.

I have a 2200 watt inverter that I run at 12 volts. The recommended cabling is 1/0 at 6 or so feet, but I use 2/0, and at full tilt the wires barely get warm. I don't know about availability of heavy gauge wire on an island, but I do know that it's definitely possible to use multiple strands of a smaller gauge. If I remember correctly, wire size doubles as it drops down 2 awg, so two strands of 10awg make 8awg, 2 strands of 8 make 6, etc. I have no idea about metric wire sizes, but you can still run them in parallel.

Class T fuses between both the battery and SCC as well as battery and inverter. Breakers work, but f*ck DC breakers, and go with a fuse. The only DC circuit breakers I trust are made by Eaton / Bussman, but those are expensive, and I trust fuses more.

I would add a main battery disconnect switch as well. A breaker would serve a dual purpose as a switch and a fuse, but generally speaking circuit breakers aren't meant to be used regularly as switches.

I have a 2200 watt inverter that I run at 12 volts. The recommended cabling is 1/0 at 6 or so feet, but I use 2/0, and at full tilt the wires barely get warm. I don't know about availability of heavy gauge wire on an island, but I do know that it's definitely possible to use multiple strands of a smaller gauge. If I remember correctly, wire size doubles as it drops down 2 awg, so two strands of 10awg make 8awg, 2 strands of 8 make 6, etc. I have no idea about metric wire sizes, but you can still run them in parallel.
I'm getting all the great from Australia and have just the last few things to get now

Do you think these below will work well with my system?

Also what type of cable and size do I need to run from the AC output of the inverter ? (To connect to a few GPO power switch and a few led lights)

Do you think these below will work well with my system?

Lots of people use ANL's, best practice is to use a Class T. Bussmann is great. Check eBay for used fuses, they can be had for about 1/4 of the price as new, and fuses either work or don't, so used is fine IMHO. Don't forget a fuse holder, or plan to make your own.
That should work fine.
Good choice, good brand.
Also what type of cable and size do I need to run from the AC output of the inverter ? (To connect to a few GPO power switch and a few led lights)
That all depends on your needs. 2000w AC service is ~20a. 12 or 10 awg for the AC side should work well. Check a wire size calculator for your specific run length and current.

Hi everyone, I have installed renogy 800watts of solar panels and a renogy 60ah mppt and they are currently charging x1 renogy lithium battery 170ah already installed., I have a 2nd renogy lithium battery 170ah about to be installed and a Victron Phoenix 12volt 2000va inverter about to be installed for the system to run.
What other basic components will I need exactly? Switchboard, Circuit breakers ECT? Small details?

This is all being installed in a small remote village home, In the Solomon Islands, so that they can run a small 150ltr chest freezer a few fans and a few lights, charge phones, charge lithium power tool batteries.

I only know the basics about solar setup and electrical so please keep it simple,e and clear and all help is much appreciated. Thanks
That's a sweet setup in a sweet location. Your 800 watts of panels and two batteries should be fine for your freezer and lights and charging as long as you get a lot of daylight hours to charge. If the rain on your panels is a common thing then you might be under-powered. Try to get LED lights, they use so much less power. On a bright sunny day you should be able to run a medium sized window air conditioner on your setup (use good cable).

Nice battery, but there are cheaper ones. I like Ampere Time myself, they are half the cost of Renogy and last just as long.

I use Giandel inverters - again because they are cheaper than the big names and just as good. If you have the option you might switch to a 24 volt inverter because they operate more efficiently particularly if your cables are sized correctly. 4 awg pure copper would be a good choice if you want to take full advantage of your inverter.

jim

Last edited:
That's a sweet setup in a sweet location. Your 800 watts of panels and two batteries should be fine for your freezer and lights and charging as long as you get a lot of daylight hours to charge. If the rain on your panels is a common thing then you might be under-powered. Try to get LED lights, they use so much less power. On a bright sunny day you should be able to run a medium sized window air conditioner on your setup (use good cable).

Nice battery, but there are cheaper ones. I like Ampere Time myself, they are half the cost of Renogy and last just as long.

I use Giandel inverters - again because they are cheaper than the big names and just as good. If you have the option you might switch to a 24 volt inverter because they operate more efficiently particularly if your cables are sized correctly. 4 awg pure copper would be a good choice if you want to take full advantage of your inverter.

jim
Thank you jim

Here is the update of progress

Attachments

• 1336c765d304882583ad7449df10e935.0.jpg
    1336c765d304882583ad7449df10e935.0.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 6

Attachments

• 1336c765d304882583ad7449df10e935.0.jpg
    1336c765d304882583ad7449df10e935.0.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 6
Solomon Islands.
What a glamorous nirvanic setting.
Sparse to make a living though?

Wikipedia has interesting recent-history observations: “Violence also continued, most notably with the murder of colonial administrator William R. Bellby Basiana of the Kwaio people on Malaita in 1927, as Bell attempted to enforce an unpopular head tax.” and “The relatively easy-going, friendly attitude of the Americans also contrasted sharply with the subservience expected by the British colonial rulers, and profoundly changed Solomons Islanders' attitude to the colonial regime”

I have always thought of the Solomon Islands is an amazing place to sail to and explore. Something I’ll probably never get a chance to do in my lifetime.

I’m surprised by the GNP at only $2300 per capita - I’d have thought a bigger economy for such an amazing place with tourism and exports.

So the freezer and everything are doing great on your system?

More pic of the area would be welcome. Good luck with the system. If you have not done so already, look into 48 volt.

Solomon Islands.
What a glamorous nirvanic setting.
Sparse to make a living though?

Wikipedia has interesting recent-history observations: “Violence also continued, most notably with the murder of colonial administrator William R. Bellby Basiana of the Kwaio people on Malaita in 1927, as Bell attempted to enforce an unpopular head tax.” and “The relatively easy-going, friendly attitude of the Americans also contrasted sharply with the subservience expected by the British colonial rulers, and profoundly changed Solomons Islanders' attitude to the colonial regime”

I have always thought of the Solomon Islands is an amazing place to sail to and explore. Something I’ll probably never get a chance to do in my lifetime.

I’m surprised by the GNP at only $2300 per capita - I’d have thought a bigger economy for such an amazing place with tourism and exports.

So the freezer and everything are doing great on your system?
Hi bu

Thats a great dive area -been there twice diving and really enjoyed it-Once In the 90s and once in 2001. Hope your system gets up and running well.What Island are you on ?(I still have the charts from there.)

Last edited:
Thats a great dive area -been there twice diving and really enjoyed it-Once In the 90s and once in 2001. Hope your system gets up and running well.What Island are you on ?(I still have the charts from there.)
Awesome. We are in the Marovo Lagoon.

Back