diy solar

diy solar

SOLVED: EG4 Lifepower4 24v dead battery reading on Magnum 4k hybrid inverter.

Yes if you have one but a lot of people don't have one as they did not think they would need it.

There are a lot of people on this forum with the same problem. I think we average about 2-3 posts per week of EG4 not starting the Inverter or EG4 tripping.

My undersanding is that the Inverter worked just fine with that battery alone before he got the Eg4.

Your making it sound like putting BMS systems in Series is a good thing?

Yes and the point is that the Spec for the EG4 when it comes to surge current seems to be very low.
Robby, this guy just wants a place on the internet to argue. He is not worth the time to respond to.

If he had read post#1 he would see that I did, in fact, run the inverter using ONLY the two 12v batteries, which have way less capacity than the 2 EG4s. He is making false assumptions across the internet, like I am sitting here waiting for instructions on what to do. When in fact I have been all over this system, with a dvm in hand, performing diagnosis and analysis. I am not going to post three weeks of evaluation steps, what tools I use on evaluation, which includes concurrent problem diagnosis from others having the same issue to the 74th jackwagon that stumbles into the middle of the conversation.

Step 1. Read all the posts before you open your mouth or risk looking like a baffoon.
Posting a couple of videos which succinctly outlines the problem and a "work around" to hopefully help others. The real solution is required by EG4 and Signature solar on their battery and has nothing to do with the wiring of my system.

I am not an electrical engineer, but this is not my first rodeo with solar. I have 4 fully functional independent systems on my ranch.

Last edited:
Yep there is something up with it and they don't seem to know what it is or they are not telling.
They obviously do know. Why would they have two battery options with the exact same specs? Only difference is the bms. EG4-LL and EG4 Lifepower are identical at their core with the exception of the BMS.

You have a 50/50 chance of purchasing the correct one for your system. If you choose the "LL" you may wind up with cell balancing issues. If you choose the "Lifepower" you may end up with pre charge resistor issues.

Yes, it will be a challenge to keep them equally charged. There are some additional tweeks that I can do to the wiring to help mitigate. Construct cables to equal lengths, wire directly to the bussbar, buy a Victron battery balancer... But..

I don't think I will keep the "little" Big Batteries attached as a permanent solution. Most likely, I will purchase a 3rd 200AH non-EG4 Lifepower server rack battery to couple with the system.
When the positive busbar connects to your first EG4, what is the order the wire lugs are stacked in??? Does it help if you change it so the bottom lug is the second EG4 battery, and the top lug is the busbar connect? (Not sure if that's the case already or not)

Back