diy solar

diy solar

some help needed.

Robertf1074

A few months back we got a new travel trailer 2021 27ft Pioneer and I got excited and just ordered a bunch of stuff with a picture in mind but nothing on paper. I am a complete novice with enough knowledge to be dangerous.
12 volt system should have done 24 now that I am getting everything in place.
2 - newpowa 210 watt 12v panels
1 Victron MPPT 100|50 solar controller
10AWG solar wire
Victron multiplus 3000VA 12V - Plus VE.Bus smart Dongle.
Victron Energy BMV-712 smart battery monitor with shunt
Entry Gland
2/0 welding wire
Hydraulic crimper plus 1/4 5/16 3/8 lugs to fit 2/0 gauge.
2 busbar 4 stud power distribution blocks
2 single circuit 9003E battery switch 1 for solar shutoff and 1 for battery shutoff
8 3.2v 280ah cells - after waiting almost 5 months for these to arrive they are top balanced and ready
2 Daly 4s 12v 200a
also keep second guessing on what size circuits and fuses to put in between battery to invertor and from MPPT to battery

I am not looking to power air conditioner, mainly all LED lights, a TV, 3 way fridge, CPAC, phone charges, possibly microwave every so often.

When ordered all this back in February I had a clear picture in my head on how to wire the solar now I am second guessing myself and forgetting what I researched a few months ago. I had also picked up Y adapters to do this in parallel.

think i am 2 far in to switch to 24v right now and would like to get this finalized and constructive input and suggestion would be appreciated.

panel spec

PRODUCT CODE​

NPA210S-12H​

Maximum power (Pmax)210W
Voltage at Pmax (Vmp)16.77V
Current at Pmax (Imp)12.48A
Open-circuit voltage (Voc)19.83V
Short-circuit current (Isc)13.09A
Temperature coefficient of Voc-(80±10)mV/°C
Temperature coefficient of Isc(0.065±0.015)%/ °C
Temperature coefficient of power-(0.5±0.05)%/ °C
NOCT (Air 20°C; Sun 0.8kW/m² wind 1m/s)47±2°C
Operating temperature-40°C to 85°C
Maximum system voltage1000V DC
Power tolerance± 3%

Ideally, before buying anything you should do a power audit so you know how much energy you will need each day for everything you need to power. You should still do that power audit so you know if your battery can supply enough for your needs. Then you need to figure out how much solar you need to recharge the batteries each day, taking into account days when there's no solar due to rain/clouds. I suspect that 410W isn't enough to recharge 560Ah of batteries each day.

Based on the list of components you've posted, only the inverter would need to be replaced if you wanted to go 24V instead of 12V. But you would likely need a 24V->12V DC-DC converter (such as a Victron Orion) to be able to power 12V items with the 24V system.

Once you finalize the voltage choice (12 or 24V) then you can start figuring out wire sizes based on current (amps), wire length (round trip), and needed voltage drop. There are plenty of calculators to help determine wire size based on all of those factors (and more). Once you know the wire size you can choose proper sized fuses and breakers to protect those wires.

Back