diy solar

diy solar

Some UK LiFeP04 battery questions

Fingers

Are prismatic cells generally more or less expensive than large cylindrical LiFeP04 cells (with threaded terminals) of a similar output?
Anyone know of any reasonable prices of either in the UK?

I think for our needs four 200ah 12volt or eight 100ah 12volt should do (fingers crossed).
Should I be looking at car breakers for a LiFeP04 battery pack? If so what is generaly regarded as a reasonable price?

looking at car breakers for a LiFeP04 battery pack?
not really, because to my knowledge, EV batteries are not LiFeP04 cells.

By the time you obtain the cells, BMS, and testing equipment, there may not be a significant saving.

I have purchased cells from GWL power,
our needs four 200ah 12volt or eight 100ah 12volt
do you mean 4 off 200Ah cells to build a 12v battery?

Mike

do you mean 4 off 200Ah cells to build a 12v battery?
No I mean four, (car battery looking) 12volt 200ah batteries, it's just the way I visulise battery size, lol, what I should have said was 48volt 200ah.

I'm guessing, I think I do the maths correctly but there is still doubt :)
I'm looking at getting a 5kw hybrid inverter so what ever the shortfall is the mains or solar will make up for it.
At the moment I only have 2.7kw solar due south 40 degrees, with another possible 1.5kw 90 degrees due east very much in the planning stage.
So we don't have a lot of solar to charge the batteries. I'm thinking wind, but that's probably just the beans that I had for breakfast :)

Thank you for those links, I appreciate your help. But those all are way too expensive, so it looks like I will have to get some from china :(

Last edited:
I have 2 Ultramax 12V 100ah batteries connected in series to make a 24V battery. They can be series linked, but not sure if they can go to 48V for your needs. (use their online chat on their website to check)

I was looking at cells, but by the time you add on the bms, balancing and all that, it was cheaper to buy a ready made battery (as I needed a battery asap not in 2 months time). They are regularly on offer on Ebay. I've bought 1 at £381 and the 2nd one at £350ish with discount codes and Nectar points.

£381 and the 2nd one at £350
That's still a lot of cash for 100ah; it's painful to see how the price has gone up so much.

I started looking about 18 months ago, and I'm kicking myself that I didn't buy then, and if I don't buy now the price will go up again, as our economy goes down the tubes.

I was looking on Made in China .com today they have some very interesting prices + vat + del :(

Thanks for the info, I just might get those if they are still there.

Back