diy solar

diy solar

Solar house generator I started DIY back in 2000 - My path from Trace to Xantrex (on FLA battery) to XW Pro inverters on Tesla Model S batteries

Here are the 1 line schematics for the AC and DC sides of the TO BE 240v system

UPDATE: I moved the schematics to post #1 and keep them updated there for reference

For each of 4 panel arrays there is a contactor/relay with the control coil line managed by the JITB controller. If the JITB determines a problem it disables the contactors, thus turning OFF the solar input into the system. This one of the protection protocols to protect the Tesla modules.

Other protection protocols are:

1) Settable Temperature range for charging the modules, thus protecting the modules from damage or fire potential
2) Settable Voltage range for charging the modules, thus protecting the modules from over voltage charging. Low and High voltage Cutoff
3) Allowable Cell variance

The JITB will disconnect the battery from the DC Buss if said issues are detected

Last edited:
Got the isolators so I have begun adding the buss bars

here is a pic of the top of the POS side

20221004_114535.jpg

2 inch wide, 1/4" thick

20221004_114526.jpg

had to notch a shelf board to make some space between it and the bar

20221004_114538.jpg

only hanging by top isolator. Determined the bolts I got were 5 mm too long, so picked up some washers on the way to work today
thus the bar is not fully bolted down yet. Once that is done, will mark bar for drilling some holes for fastening the cables to

20221004_114542.jpg

will be pushing the modules further back IN on the shelf to make more cable room in the front and away from the bars.
Need to move 1 row of modules from 2nd shelf to 1st shelf, so there will be 3 rows per shelf

xw4548 never qualified on AC2.
If I send generator in ac1 its fine. And grid on ac2 fails to see a freq sample. ac2 from grid does show L1, L2 voltages, and the combined V, just no Hertz.
Has anyone ever attempted to diagnose or repair an AC board in an xw4548. Mine is out of warranty. Seems a shame to replace entire board for something simple.
Has anyone else experienced this ac2 freq issue ?

local hardware store received water pipe insulators, picked one up and placed it on my buss bar

seems good, after hookup, will zip tie it for secure protection

20221006_215345.jpg

20221006_215352.jpg

seems good

Famous last words?

Do as I say, not as I do. Never make assumptions.

Famous last words?

Do as I say, not as I do. Never make assumptions.

thanks will it check out

darn it...best laid plans and all

got rif'ed today, part of the 10% reduction at my company, they have 5000+ employees, 30 at my local office. They let go 3 people at this local office

so the XW Pro order will be put on hold, while I look for further employment, but while looking for a position, I can polish what I have

later, dougbertInExile

@Hedges

I think I found a better protector for the buss bar. Was watching DavidPoz on YT and his review of the EG4 batteries and an upgraded cabinet where they protect the bus bars, video here starts where he describes it

I actually have a similar raceway and began mocking it up this evening and I think it will fit just fine.
I also like where Signature Solar put heat shrink on runs on the bus bar where there are NO holes, so I ordered some heat shrink that I think will fit my 2" bar

and the raceway

Last edited:
Just uploaded, may have some tips you can use in your Schneider system...

thanks

I also saw this (I follow ben for sure) and he is describing some XW Pro issues discussed in some other threads here, have had for the past year. As ben mentioned there are some issues with AC Coupling on the AC Out of the XW

As ben points out, if one is DC coupled (as I am) things work great. Since I currently am not on netmetering, these problems don't effect me.

thanks for the point out

Last edited:
are pics of my POS bus bar in the plastic race way

20221010_211903.jpg

adding some washer spacers, I got the bar in the middle of the raceway

it won't be easy to connect the cables, but there will just be 2 cables now, 4 later, on each side
will be adding the heat shrink after it arrives tomorrow

20221010_211913.jpg

20221010_212002.jpg

While looking for a new job, I have also been working on little solar tasks that have been queuing up for some time, one being the above bus bar deployment, cleaning up the "power room" and fixing more wiring - all hardware stuff

Then there is software stuff:

I am learning about Modbus and how S-E has used it on their products. THIS is nice
So I have accomplished the following:
  1. Found I needed to ENABLE ModbusTCP in the Network->Modbus menu on the Gateway/InsightLocal
  2. found pyModbusTCP python library that allows me to read data from each of my MPPT CC's - installed with 'pip3 install pyModbusTCP'
  3. Wrote a simple python program to extract a few details
I will grow this into a Prometheus reaper which will feed into Grafana for graphical display of the state of my system
cool stuff.

I run the linux OS, in the Mint distribution on my main amd64 PC, but will move to a raspberry Pi I use for reapers/harvestors

Last edited:
Uploaded today..... they've been getting lots of Youtube "Madonna Wanna Be Influencer" reviews lately, they must be shipping off free Inverters everywhere....

Back