diy solar

diy solar

Solar house generator I started DIY back in 2000 - My path from Trace to Xantrex (on FLA battery) to XW Pro inverters on Tesla Model S batteries

When this is all said and done, you need to put these all in a book / ebook and sell it on Amazon, it's GREAT information. Has Will commented to you yet on how much value this thread adds to the site, I sure hope so.

When this is all said and done, you need to put these all in a book / ebook and sell it on Amazon, it's GREAT information. Has Will commented to you yet on how much value this thread adds to the site, I sure hope so.
he did after I first posted, but given the number of posts now, I have no idea. Just glad the site is available and I can persist the info.
I do SAVE Locally now and then.

and BTW: thanks for the feedback.

Another new feature I am working on is a REMOTE ESS/BATTERY/INVERTER EMERGENCY SHUTDOWN mechanism, where firemen can press a button out by the MAIN SERVICE PANEL to have the 250amp breaker 'trip' thus disconnecting the INVERTE AC power from the house

Using the Midnite 250amp breaker (just arrived today) that accepts a 24v 'pulse' which causes the breaker to trip.
These fit exactly into the Conext PDP as a replacement breaker, just with a relay coil to connect the remote circuitry to

Here is a video by BentleyJ (also on this site)

I time indexed to the interesting part but the whole video is good

More info will come

UPDATE: 2023-03-27 After reading the manual more in depth, the XW Pro has an AUX RPO feature (remote power off). I don't need the above system. Just need a momentary button outside, run the wires to the AUX port and I have the emergency power off, remotely. RTFM, doh!

Last edited:
he did after I first posted, but given the number of posts now, I have no idea. Just glad the site is available and I can persist the info.
I do SAVE Locally now and then.

and BTW: thanks for the feedback.

Another new feature I am working on is a REMOTE ESS/BATTERY/INVERTER EMERGENCY SHUTDOWN mechanism, where firemen can press a button out by the MAIN SERVICE PANEL to haver the 250amp breaker 'trip' thus disconnecting the INVERTE AC power from the house

Using the Midnite 250amp breaker (just arrived today) that accepts a 24v 'pulse' which causes the breaker to trip

Here is a video by BentleyJ (also on this site)

I time indexed to the interesting part but the whole video is good

More info will come
And cutting PV, or just inverter ? Thx Re video, on dog walk, will watch when done.

And cutting PV, or just inverter ?
just the inverter, as my PV arrays have individual DISCONNECTS.

I don't really want to do the Rapid Shutdown method as each array needs an expensive box ($800) so I am doing a hybrid.
I have had the disconnect since each array was installed

What is new is the REMOTE ESS SHUTDOWN feature

here is my HOUSE MAP.
this MAP will be attached to the service meter to provide location info for the first responders:

Thompson MAP.jpg

Last edited:
Handy, I use the gateway over the net and my internal network and if I was staying Sch I'd put one of these on it, I have the SCP but this is a nice add on, would look good on your system.

Wanna really earn some brownie points with your local FD, add on the standard alpha designators on the sides or in a table below, example:

DC Disconnect #4 - B, Bravo Side etc

The video below shows how it's done compared to a clock, address side is Alpha then clockwise from there.

How+do+we+describe+Divisions+around+buildings.jpg

The company I just bought 5 modules from didn't show them in the ad having the M8/13mm bolt for + and - in the photo, or the rubber baby bumper covers for the bolts so I asked them to please incude those, no problem they said.... They shipped the box before the battery and it in it arrived a bunch of L brackets like is shown in the picture. I guess my modules are coming out of the X which uses the metal box on each module. Close but not quiet what I needed but glad they did because seeing this, these would make GREAT extension bars to bring the connections out and then just run copper bus bur up the front of the shelf like you have... so I'll keep them and call them next week. The 5 modules are enroute via Fedex, if they all look good and no problems I'll tell you who they are, they've been AWESOME to deal with, first one was around 700 then 4 for 3000, all including shipping.

PS: just heard from them and they’re already getting the right parts ready for me, these guys are awesome, will give you contact info once a battery has arrived and looks good.
1673739627104.png

Last edited:
If deciding to run coolant through the modules, here are the correct fittings.

From a blog I'm reading (read update below before ordering):
The cooling loop uses a pair of 5/16" (ID) tubing nipples that appeared to a Dorman 800-080 or 800-120 type Fuel Line Quick Connector. Although these connectors were tested both bottomed out when installed and neither snapped tight as anticipated. Although one can probably install straight tubing with hose clamps, read update below for source of the correct couplings.
Details of Dorman connectors can be found here: http://www.dormanproducts.com/gsearch.aspx?type=keyword&origin=keyword&q=fuel+line+connector . These connectors can also be purchased (Dorman, ebay.com and Amazon.com) and they are available for different tubing sizes, as straight, 45 degree and 90 degree angled fittings.

Update:
It was found that Dorman 800-116 Fuel Line Connectors (Summit Racing, part RNB-800-116, at $7.97 per pair) appear to work very well. These fittings are described as 5/16" Steel to 5/16" (8 mm) Nylon Straight and the connectors snap on tightly yet can still be removed easily by pressing the tab located on the side.

DSC05324.JPG

In one of Tesla's battery patents ( http://www.google.com/patents/US20140178722 ) this fluid is described only as " water or another coolant, such as any conventional anti-freeze mixed with water, oil, or even cold air ". The blue color suggests that the fluid is Propylene glycol.

DSC05329.JPG

nice

one thing my fellow JITB user found is NOT to run the coolant lines in SERIES. Rather run them in PARALLEL. The resistence rises in series.

make sense?

he also found he could buy the coolant at O'Reillys

My 5 modules arrived today, they're freaking beautiful......... will write more and give you contact info later, all individually wrapped, all at 20 volts (a bit low) but super happy with them, ordering 3 more tomorrow so I have 12.IMG_0107.jpg

Just ordered the remaining goodies I hadn't gotten when I ordered the Jack in the Box....

1674533734777.png

yep, yep, yep

The JITB was $2999 but the parts added up. Yet for the features you NEED, the price is secondary

congrats
Thanks, I'm going to have to order a few more of those 48" extensions or custom make one to go out to the external battery bunker, I don't want anything in there but the Claymores, everything else will be in the next building.

You can't put a price on being able to sleep at night. If you want to try to tame these beasts with a $9.00 Amazon RC lipo balancer when you charge them, you're going to get the same results that Rich did when they tried it.

Last edited:
Back