diy solar

diy solar

Solar house generator I started DIY back in 2000 - My path from Trace to Xantrex (on FLA battery) to XW Pro inverters on Tesla Model S batteries

All my boards are rev 1 and I believe those are soldered to the boards, I don't recall seeing any plugs... that sucks... just goes to show, just cus you've been happy with previous items from the same seller, trust NO ONE!!!!

As you're a customer of the ESP32 BMS, I bet you the guys at EVTV have one kicking around they'd send you cheap.

Jen
thanks but it's in the mail should be here monday

On april 24-27, we got rain and lots of clouds. By tuesday my battery was depleted by 6AM and the grid kicked in and I purchased some energy
Wednesday the battery again was depleted and got about another hour of grid energy then bright sunshine was back and all that day the sun recharged the battery to full (battery is ONLY charged by the sun, the grid simply runs the house loads when the grid is on).

wednesday - total solar production hit 45.54 kwh, a new high and even heated some hot water, not much
thursday 32 kwh and water heating, 1st tank full
friday 25 kwh and both water heaters fully heated and turned off at 4pm where the sun only powered the house loads

So I have reached the problem I had predicted and that problem is I have more energy than I can use or store. And it is only May 1st.
I built big in order to be fully powered in the darkness of winter, so all is good.

I have been pondering some bitcoin mining.............

Hey! To be honest, I was very interested in reading your template. I can say that he is even genius in some way! I have the following questions for you:
1. What are the names of such bulbs that reduce energy consumption by 30%?
2. Is Kill-A-Watt for $ 25 the same functionality as the $ 100 load tamer?
3. Do you use scaffolding in your work? I read that they are very useful in your craft. You can also read it on the Pete Suen website.
I will be awaiting your answers. I'm really very interested. Thanks and good luck!

1) https://www.homedepot.com/p/EcoSmar...-Bulb-Daylight-8-Pack-B7A19A60WUL38/303574493

2) not aware of the Load Tamer. Got a link? the Kill-A-Watt did just fine for me

3) I did build a DIY wood scaffold for installing my main arrays 2 and 3 installation, added to the safety greatly. But no need for any more now

Module 8 has been "fixed" with the add-in BMS board (very small wires) and 7&8 both installed into the pack

40kwh capacity now

Number 7 is top left, number 8 is top right. Number 8 just has the BMS board spliced in and resting in its place

2021-05-12 Modules 7&8.jpg

and recognized by the Jack-in-the-box Battery controller. Lower left, 8 "bars" of 6 cells being displayed

8-Modules-recognized.jpg

The expectation is that this will reduce the number of "grid connections" that occur after prolonged overcast/rain/snow events deplete the battery pack.
I have had 3 such events this past billing cycle

Last edited:
Module 8 has been "fixed" with the add-in BMS board (very small wires) and 7&8 both installed into the pack

40kwh capacity now

Number 7 is top left, number 8 is top right. Number 8 just has the BMS board spliced in and resting in its place

View attachment 48874

and recognized by the Jack-in-the-box Battery controller. Lower left, 8 "bars" of 6 cells being displayed

View attachment 48875

The expectation is that this will reduce the number of "grid connections" that occur after prolonged overcast/rain/snow events deplete the battery pack.
I have had 3 such events this past billing cycle
GREAT job on taking lemons and making lemon-aid on that board...

GREAT job on taking lemons and making lemon-aid on that board...
I want to share with you some operating characteristics on the the system

After adding the 2 "new"modules, the ESP32 (aka The Jack in the Box) keep disconnecting the contactors/relays.

After reading the manual in depth several times, I came to understand the triggers more in depth for the disconnect protection

All these parameters can be set via the Settings screen on the Display Pi

1 - Voltage too LOW
2 - Voltage too HIGH
3 - Temperature too HIGH
4 - and individual cell regions are too far apart - the difference between High Cell Voltage and Low Cell Voltage was greater than the ALLOWABLE VARIANCE value

my variance value had been .3 volts and I watched as the difference approached and exceeded that .3 volts and when it did, the Jack in the Box disconnected.

I finally set the variance to .8 volts (very high really) and let it set for a few days. This allowed the cells to better normalize their daily operation and I now notice the variance has hovered in the .015 voltage. I have now lowered the setting down to .4 for the moment and will move it down going forward, to near .1 or .2 or so.

I also noticed a disconnect being trigger when the HIGH CELL voltage reached the High Voltage Cutoff I have set (which is lower than the maximum for these cells) - indirectly caused by the difference between HIGH and LOW, pushing the HIGH cell too high.

so as you add new modules, be aware of these possibilities

dougbert

I also noticed a disconnect being trigger when the HIGH CELL voltage reached the High Voltage Cutoff I have set (which is lower than the maximum for these cells) - indirectly caused by the difference between HIGH and LOW, pushing the HIGH cell too high.

so as you add new modules, be aware of these possibilities

dougbert
WOW!!!!!! That's awesome...... I'm so use to stuff we buy turning out to go to feces after you invest money into it but it's doing EXACTLY what we paid over $2,000.00 (or 3k with cables etc) for it to do... that's awesome... GREAT find, thank you for sharing. You should contact them and make sure they put a little note in the manual to the effect of what you wrote or do a readme notice etc.. on it, that would be a pain to figure out, you saved me a lot of grief.

My toy hauler just arrived (purchased it a couple months ago but was getting some work done on it in Yuma before delivery to my property near Kingman) that the system is going in and I've been buying 4/0 and lugs etc so am about to start the build...

Jen33EC7D92-5566-4086-A02A-F693707802CD_1_105_c.jpeg

I was worried that my "new" modules were screwing me over, but reading the manual several times and watching the Display allowed me to see the boundary cases. Just program the settings in a safe area first, then over time as you get used to it, then refine, refine and refine the settings.

I also have a lighting system in the basement with LEDs running on my second 12v system, so when the 120v AC system cuts out, I can see the equipment. The wife did mutter a few times as the power kept flaking out. I do have a UPS battery that I run her computer/monitor on so short power outs don't crash her system

And that brown grass in the picture looks well watered.

lol

The wife did mutter a few times as the power kept flaking out. I do have a UPS battery that I run her computer/monitor on so short power outs don't crash her system

And that brown grass in the picture looks well watered.

lol
Tell her that you'll buy her a ring with the money you'll save from not having to pay the power bill, that'll shut'er up. LOL
Green? Hell, we haven't had water here in years.... I built a huge arse rain roof for rain catchment and after two years of waiting, finally signed a contract with a well driller here.. sigh... $50,000 as we're over 1,000 to the water table (the stick with the blue ribbon).. but ya need water and it ain't coming from above any time soon it appears.

It's sitting in the temporary spot, it was just delivered, I have to clear the area behind it, put down weed block plastic, do some landscaping then move it back.

I was worried that my "new" modules were screwing me over, but reading the manual several times and watching the Display allowed me to see the boundary cases. Just program the settings in a safe area first, then over time as you get used to it, then refine, refine and refine the settings.
So it was kinda like the controller just saw the new foster kids join the family and it took a while for everyone to learn to get along and get use to each other, eventually the newbies settled in and everyone came to the same level...

also over night voltage drop is less than before modules 7 and 8, so the extra batteries are making a difference
In time with 50, 60, 80 or 100 kwh will give me some warm feelings with the depth of storage. And you gave nice metaphor to explain it out. lol

also over night voltage drop is less than before modules 7 and 8, so the extra batteries are making a difference
Have ya started selling power to the local HA's like I suggested... LOL

It'll be interesting to see you get to that point where pull the plug on the power company for good.. great job.

Nope

I will have the grid for some time, it is nice having it as backup to my panels/batteries

I will have to switch to Jack's Siganeer inverter and go 240v in order to power the Elec range/oven in order to have 100% power coverage. I would love to switch to Nat Gas, but my wife got blown up as a child so she fears Nat Gas ranges

It has been over 30 days since last grid connect event,

Generation ranges from 23 kwh to 35 kwh per day, today was nearly 36 kwh, with wash day and lots of fans running to keep the house cool
90s are in the forecast the later part of this week

lots of sun so batteries and water heater tanks are happy. That 40kwh of battery is very nice

It has been over 30 days since last grid connect event,

Generation ranges from 23 kwh to 35 kwh per day, today was nearly 36 kwh, with wash day and lots of fans running to keep the house cool
90s are in the forecast the later part of this week

lots of sun so batteries and water heater tanks are happy. That 40kwh of battery is very nice
Wow.. you're doing great, that's massive KW for one day... this summer will be a test, once you fire up those AC's.... how do you like the Jack in the Box so far? Mine's still in the box.. lol

Back