diy solar

diy solar

Solar house generator I started DIY back in 2000 - My path from Trace to Xantrex (on FLA battery) to XW Pro inverters on Tesla Model S batteries

No email or call from Richard today, despite numerous requests... looks like tomorrow I'm having a chat with a couple agencies....

I got more info from the sw engineer who wrote the code and is fixing it. It concerns the release I got and based my conclusions on.

To correct my story with better details. I did not update my firmware because of this failure, I updated to get some new features that the engineer added, in terms of more "telemetry" data that the ESP32 sprays out over UDP. This was done so I and another engineer could "scrape" some data from the spray for a Prometheus data gatherer.

The updated firmware was a developmental version that had not and was not released to products prior to this time period. He had simply provided me a developmental version (2.19) that did have a bug in it, but did not know about it until I brought back up with him. So I over wrote my original firmware that came with the purchased unit with this developmental version. It had the bug

This happens with doing cutting edge work and getting the most recent code base.

STABLE releases are fully tested prior to installing and shipping a product, which is what is in the ESP32 customer base.
DEVELOPMENTAL releases are made for ALPHA and BETA testing phase and when hunting down bugs, etc

So other customers should not have this developmental firmware unless they have contacted the developer as well

dougbert

It was my bad to indicate that others also had this software in their product. AN assumption on my part, and a false one.

thanks, i was kinda yikes-ed out to think that it was shipping, glad to know they have someone as knowledgeable and as well versed in bug documentation and reproduction as you to be helping out.

Doug, your latest post is all fine and good, but let's be clear..... can you tell us, at this point, is the system preventing an over voltage as designed, don't tell me about firmware you've put in for testing as you work the issue.... you originally discovered an issue that could allow over voltage.... are you saying AS SHIPPED these items have that bug or do not, that's the issue..... If you're doing back end testing with beta code that's risky, don't tell us about it, keep it in an offline beta code testers communication forum/area/method.. email etc... popping out dangerous comments about beta code that does NOT affect the code in production that we're all running causes confusion. But again, this is not on you, this is on EVTV's TERRIBLE lack of communications and support at this point, when we purchased this item we entered into an agreement it was safe and functioned as advertised, at this point your posts have me confused about that status (and Richard's failed to step up and clarify).

If I walked out to my unit right now and tried over charging it would the system act as designed and cut it off (don't' say "yes as long as you reboot every 49th day ending in a Y)..... is there an issue or no?

I already have a call into a couple consumer protection attorney's regarding this issue, this isn't about you or your need to apologize for them... is your original concern valid or are you back pedaling? If it's safe, as sold and shipped, I'm confused about the post that fired this off, if it is NOT safe, I'd expect to see Richard on here explaining, he's sure as hell not answering me or my emails, he will my attorney's however.

Last edited:
As I found more info on the firmware I had that manifests this condition, I posted the prior post.

My original post was based on what I assumed at that time. And now it appears what I said then is wrong. So I guess I am back pedaling now on that warning.

When I received more of information on what was going on I shared it.
So yes, my warning is in error and was my bad.

My system did not manifest this condition when running the original firmware that came with the unit. It ran for months.
It was after I updated with firmware from the development branch that it was manifest. When that was manifest for failing, I jumped the gun

Again, my bad

As I found more info on the firmware I had that manifests this condition, I posted the prior post.

My original post was based on what I assumed at that time. And now it appears what I said then is wrong. So I guess I am back pedaling now on that warning.

When I received more of information on what was going on I shared it.
So yes, my warning is in error and was my bad.

My system did not manifest this condition when running the original firmware that came with the unit. It ran for months.
It was after I updated with firmware from the development branch that it was manifest. When that was manifest for failing, I jumped the gun

Again, my bad
It's a damn good thing you are cute!!!! ;)

I'd still like to hear from Richard on here about what's going on, to re-instill faith in their support of this product... I'm not using it at this point till I hear what's up... but thank you for sharing.

Richard, step up, answer my emails or call me or explain/clarify.... are you going to continue supporting this product or let it go the way of Jacks' excellent video collection on Youtube, dead and dying.... there hasn't been anything of any value or interest to most of us up there for almost a year.

Jennifer
1644463081989.png

Updated my ESP32 V2.0 with latest BETA code firmware with improvements and fixes, version 2.23
starting the 49 day clock to see if it works on my hardware

engineer ran many tests and could not find a fault on various versions on his hardware

Deleting this post I made earlier.....

UPDATE:
Had an EXCELLENT conversation with Doug about this system, which I still feel is AWESOME... so have some thinking to do.... LOL

Jennifer

Last edited:
Cool you are one of the pioneers - thanks for sharing!
He's the last of a dying breed... see my comments here:

finally got some other issues resolved and can focus back on this system

ordered battery module #11 and found they have dropped the price by $200 - nice

This year I have produced 98% of my power from Feb to June
January was to pay for grid purchased due to heavy snow and cloud coverage in Dec when I couldn't produce much

The ONLY load I have that is on the grid is the 240v range/oven

when I upgrade to a 240v inverter then that will go away

Attachments

• 2022 Jan to June grid usage.pdf
    17.1 KB · Views: 2
This year I have produced 98% of my power from Feb to June
January was to pay for grid purchased due to heavy snow and cloud coverage in Dec when I couldn't produce much

The ONLY load I have that is on the grid is the 240v range/oven

when I upgrade to a 240v inverter then that will go away
Which 240v inverter are you thinking of?

Which 240v inverter are you thinking of?
the 15kw from EVTV

the 15kw from EVTV

That’s what I figured, ?. Sig has an 18k with Tesla configs / profiles now, have you seen that? https://www.sigineer.com/product/18...-inverter-charger-120v-240v-110v-220v-230vac/

That’s what I figured, ?. Sig has an 18k with Tesla configs / profiles now, have you seen that? https://www.sigineer.com/product/18...-inverter-charger-120v-240v-110v-220v-230vac/

Description says "compliant to UL 1741"
Manual doesn't appear to describe backfeed to grid, anti-islanding, etc. Do you know what it does?

Page 22 mentions frequency-shift of SMA, Schneider, other GT PV inverters. It says the Signeer toggles between 60 Hz nd 62.5 Hz to let GT PV feed in or cut it off, while off-grid, and Signeer's inverter operates bidirectionally to to charge battery. Too bad they toggle instead of ramping frequency up/down.

18 kW of AC coupled battery inverter for $4k. But not sure if it lets GT PV backfeed grid through it.

"WARNING: The inverter is capable of charing batteries with PV AC power applied to its AC output when it is in DC to AC invert mode, but there is no over charge protection. Users must use a BMS or protect the battery from overcharing."

:ROFLMAO: Well, maybe not quite.
And was that a Freudian slip they made? :ROFLMAO:

Description says "compliant to UL 1741"
Manual doesn't appear to describe backfeed to grid, anti-islanding, etc. Do you know what it does?

Page 22 mentions frequency-shift of SMA, Schneider, other GT PV inverters. It says the Signeer toggles between 60 Hz nd 62.5 Hz to let GT PV feed in or cut it off, while off-grid, and Signeer's inverter operates bidirectionally to to charge battery. Too bad they toggle instead of ramping frequency up/down.

18 kW of AC coupled battery inverter for $4k. But not sure if it lets GT PV backfeed grid through it.

"WARNING: The inverter is capable of charing batteries with PV AC power applied to its AC output when it is in DC to AC invert mode, but there is no over charge protection. Users must use a BMS or protect the battery from overcharing."

correct , NO backfeed to grid, it is meant for off grid use or rather as a dedicated circuit of consumption

Jack tried and tried and tried to convince the Chinese mfg'er to add a ramping feature, but they did not see the value of it. Frustrated him to no end. He wanted to design he own ramp circuit but ran out of time and died

so it is left at a simple toggle to the microinverters for a 5 minute off the back on. He did not like it, but that is what was left

The main purpose for this inverter that Jack used it for was to be the inverter that contained the Tesla charging profile. He was at least able to get them to put that profile into the inverter's flash

it is this last feature as to why I am going with it.
for others not that great an inverter with the newer tech out, like the EG4 inverters and batteries

Last edited:

BMS can indeed provide some protection against over charring ?

He was at least able to get them to put that profile into the inverter's flash

it is this last feature as to why I am going with it.
for others not that great an inverter with the newer tech out, like the EG4 inverters and batteries
Yup, without that, it's just a big heavy inverter like the rest of them...

Back